IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Popeye

BeaIank

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

The only thing I could do that would guarantee my ability to play is to toss it on my Analogue Pocket, but... eeehhhh.

At least all I have to do is post a score to beat you at a shooter next week. Then ten years from now, I can bring up that time I beat the other Doug at 1943.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

5 hours ago, Gloves said:

Updated my score. Pretty sloppy overall, but broke 70k so happy enough with it. Probably the last chance I'll get to play. 

I'm guessing that there's going to be a group of close scores in the 70s, but I'm not sure how motivated I am to spend all week trying to break 80k and maybe end up with a top 3 score if I'm lucky.

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm guessing that there's going to be a group of close scores in the 70s, but I'm not sure how motivated I am to spend all week trying to break 80k and maybe end up with a top 3 score if I'm lucky.

I predict P2 will have a crazy score by the end of this.

I know I can get over 80k with a good run. It's gonna take some grinding.

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I predict P2 will have a crazy score by the end of this.

I know I can get over 80k with a good run. It's gonna take some grinding.

I think I could have hit it earlier. I made it to the third screen with all of my lives, but I lost one because of the spinach teleporting to the lower level right as I got to it and I lost the last two to the instant tiger uppercut before I could even do anything. I swear Bluto has to be one of the most random NES enemies. There are times where he just randomly wanders around on a different level and completely ignores you, then the next time he follows you all over and you can't get away from him. It also seems like the times he's chasing you is when he perfectly times a grab, jumps down or uppercuts the instant you try to pass by him.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think I could have hit it earlier. I made it to the third screen with all of my lives, but I lost one because of the spinach teleporting to the lower level right as I got to it and I lost the last two to the instant tiger uppercut before I could even do anything. I swear Bluto has to be one of the most random NES enemies. There are times where he just randomly wanders around on a different level and completely ignores you, then the next time he follows you all over and you can't get away from him.

My experience has been that if you stand on the literal edge of the platform above him (right where you start on level 3, move a few steps to the left), he literally never punches you. You could, far as I can tell, just sit in that position indefinitely without recourse.

Just now, Gloves said:

My experience has been that if you stand on the literal edge of the platform above him (right where you start on level 3, move a few steps to the left), he literally never punches you. You could, far as I can tell, just sit in that position indefinitely without recourse.

Interesting. I've yet to figure out if its best to just stand there punching the buzzard and ignoring the letters until your last life, or grab the spinach when they hit the water and pick up whatever is down there to try and get a little extra time. I seem to have a habit of accidentally clearing the third stage because I'll grab the ones that I can reach from the top platform and then let too many hit the bottom at once to the point that I have to get them all to keep the round going.

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Interesting. I've yet to figure out if its best to just stand there punching the buzzard and ignoring the letters until your last life, or grab the spinach when they hit the water and pick up whatever is down there to try and get a little extra time. I seem to have a habit of accidentally clearing the third stage because I'll grab the ones that I can reach from the top platform and then let too many hit the bottom at once to the point that I have to get them all to keep the round going.

I'd certainly at least try to get ~22-23 letters across your lives, and yes, absolutely grab the spinach to double those points. It also conveniently pauses the countdown on the letters killing you, so there's that too.

23 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'd certainly at least try to get ~22-23 letters across your lives, and yes, absolutely grab the spinach to double those points. It also conveniently pauses the countdown on the letters killing you, so there's that too.

I think my issue is letting too many letters hit the bottom before getting the spinach which causes me to have picked so many up by my last life that my only options are to let the rest fall and try to point press the buzzard as much as possible before the timer runs out or run down and get the last of the letters, causing me to clear the level which ends up costing me points either way.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

I tried this and I did get hit once in that spot, but it seems to be 95% effective.

• Like 1

I got 89,990 leaving only one letter left so I've probably done as much as I can, although I can't believe that I missed a 90k score by only ten points.