IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Popeye

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Toot! Toot!

Lads and ladies, we are BACK!
It is time for some arcade action. This week we tackle a classic with everyone's favourite sailor, brawler and spinach eater, POPEYE!

The rules are as follow:

• Play on 1 PLAYER GAME B
  • Play ONE loop
  • LATE PICTURE RECOMMENDATION : It is better to take your screenshot just before the game over screen (press on pause in any cases). If you happen to beat the third stage, pause the game as soon as possible to take your pic. Your score will still count whatever the form of your pic as this came up way too late during the week.
  • Anyone suspected of playing more than one loop or play any bit of the first stage of the 2nd loop will have their score disqualified.
  • Highest score wins

I yam what I yam an' tha's all I yam

The contest ends Sunday, 05/21/23 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

This week is moving week, so I won't have my NES hooked up for half of it, and much of the other half will be spent on prep for the move. So while I'll put up a score, I dunno if it'll be a good one. I'll try though. 

You'll try once and get 100k.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

14 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'd say. I don't know this game well enough to come close to those top scores.

Skinster giving the greats all they could handle. 

Best single screen arcade games on the NES:

Popeye

Donkey Kong Jr.

Pooyan

Mappy (What the hell, I'll count it, even though it scrolls.)

Galaga

I don't think the original Donkey Kong holds up as well as these others. It's also missing a stage.

12 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Best single screen arcade games on the NES:

Popeye

Donkey Kong Jr.

Pooyan

Mappy (What the hell, I'll count it, even though it scrolls.)

Galaga

I don't think the original Donkey Kong holds up as well as these others. It's also missing a stage.

No Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man or Galaxian? I'm probably forgetting some other good ones. I like Donkey Kong although long plays get a bit repetitive compared to DK Jr because of the missing level. For whatever reason, I'm just not a big fan of Popeye even though I used to play the arcade version as a kid. I put it slightly above DK3 as far as the black box arcade games go. I don't mind to play it once in a while, but it's just not a personal favorite of mine.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

No Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man or Galaxian? I'm probably forgetting some other good ones. I like Donkey Kong although long plays get a bit repetitive compared to DK Jr because of the missing level. For whatever reason, I'm just not a big fan of Popeye even though I used to play the arcade version as a kid. I put it slightly above DK3 as far as the black box arcade games go. I don't mind to play it once in a while, but it's just not a personal favorite of mine.

If I was better at NES Pac-Man I might rate it higher. But I kind of suck at Pac-Man in general.

Ms. Pac-Man is one of my favorite arcade games. I'm not as familiar with the NES version.

5 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

If I was better at NES Pac-Man I might rate it higher. But I kind of suck at Pac-Man in general.

Ms. Pac-Man is one of my favorite arcade games. I'm not as familiar with the NES version.

Dig Dug, Burgertime and Super Off Road are a few other good single screen arcade ports. Joust, Rampage, Millipede and Q*bert aren't terrible. Palamedes, Tengen Tetris, Rampart, Klax and Puzznic are some arcade/puzzle ports that would qualify as well.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

7 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Dig Dug, Burgertime and Super Off Road are a few other good single screen arcade ports. Joust, Rampage, Millipede and Q*bert aren't terrible.

Burger Time is too finicky with the ladders. Not familiar with Dig Dug on the NES, but I'm not a big fan of it anyway. I much prefer Mr. Do.

Joust on the NES isn't bad, but it's hard to control. I like Joust on the Atari 2600 more. Balloon Fight is an even better Joust than Joust.

Millipede is fun, but why the heck is the playfield so small?

Qbert looks arcade perfect, but it would be more responsive. There's a bit of a delay to inputs. It also immediately loses your high score when you game over which is weird for an arcade title.

Edited by mbd39

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Burger King is too finicky with the ladders. Not familiar with Dig Dug on the NES, but I'm not a big fan of it anyway. I much prefer Mr. Do.

Joust on the NES isn't bad, but it's hard to control. I like Joust on the Atari 2600 more. Balloon Fight is an even better Joust than Joust.

Millipede is fun, but why the heck is the playfield so small?

Qbert looks arcade perfect, but it would be more responsive. There's a bit of a delay to inputs. It also immediately loses your high score when you game over which is weird for an arcade title.

Super Off Road would probably be my favorite out of that second group I listed. I loved playing the arcade version as a kid.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Super Off Road would probably be my favorite out of that second group I listed. I loved playing the arcade version as a kid.

Super Sprint is another port that's pretty good, but that I'm awful at.

• Like 1