IGNORED

Game Debate #150: Super Mario Bros. 3 (super cereal this time)

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

3 hours ago, AirVillain said:

I mean... if you want to just completely ignore everything I just said and once again claim that you are "stuck playing the same boring, ol' levels in the beginning every... single...time" then I just don't know what to say. 

I got what you said. You keep bringing up the warp whistles. Is it not true that you have to play through the beginning levels to get those whistles? Do you not understand that I'm not interested in doing that anymore? I get that "beating the game" is not the only reason to play, but if I'm just screwing around I can think of a bunch more games I'd rather do that with.

We are talking about Super Mario Bros. 3. SMW is a totally different game. But I understand it's the ONLY THING holding your flimsy argument together. 

I only use Super Mario World as an example of a game that got this right. I mean, what better game would there be to compare with?

Super Mario World benefited from having a save battery. SMB3 is not that game. Let it go. 

I have totally let it go. As I said before, I'm not really interested in playing SMB3 anymore since there are better games to spend my time on.

Re: SMW. How about having to go from Star Road all the way back to the Yoshi spot to grab Yoshi for the Special Levels? So you die and have to go ALL THE WAY back to get Yoshi. Replaying that part is fun. 

I don't even know what you're talking about here. What the hell is "the Yoshi spot"? Yoshis are all over the place in SMW, including right at the beginning of every Star Road level. As far as I can recall, Yoshi is not required to beat any level.

Or your beloved save feature... it's so awesome, it doesn't even remember how many lives you had! 😅 

Lives? Seriously? LOL

OK, this time I didn't ignore anything you said.

Edited by cj_robot
  • Wow! 1

20 hours ago, cj_robot said:

I got what you said. You keep bringing up the warp whistles. Is it not true that you have to play through the beginning levels to get those whistles? Do you not understand that I'm not interested in doing that anymore? I get that "beating the game" is not the only reason to play, but if I'm just screwing around I can think of a bunch more games I'd rather do that with.

I only use Super Mario World as an example of a game that got this right. I mean, what better game would there be to compare with?

I have totally let it go. As I said before, I'm not really interested in playing SMB3 anymore since there are better games to spend my time on.

I don't even know what you're talking about here. What the hell is "the Yoshi spot"? Yoshis are all over the place in SMW, including right at the beginning of every Star Road level. As far as I can recall, Yoshi is not required to beat any level.

Lives? Seriously? LOL

Mario World was better as a quarter-munching arcade game.

On 4/27/2023 at 5:46 PM, cj_robot said:

Lives? Seriously? LOL

Sorry for inconveniencing you with 30s of your time to play 4 masterful levels in order to get the first 2 whistles. 😅

It's okay if you've let it go, but the only person losing here is you because as I've stated elsewhere, SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3

Yoshi spot = the place where you can go get Power-ups, Yoshi, and unlimited lives if you wanted to...?

Right here behind the ghost house....

image.png.8909df88a5ee2ae66b27b91694a08080.png

Why is the save feature not saving your lives funny??? It's annoying when I've played through 1/2 the game and have 50 lives, but then they all get taken away because the save feature doesn't even actually work? All my hard work and fun exploring down the drain! 

There's 2, maybe 3 things the save feature could save in SMW. Levels passed, lives, and maybe points if you really want. But nope. Only 1/3. That's nothing to brag about. 

image.png

On 4/29/2023 at 8:32 PM, AirVillain said:

Sorry for inconveniencing you with 30s of your time to play 4 masterful levels in order to get the first 2 whistles. 😅

30 seconds? Nice try, buddy. Look up a SMB3 speedrun and it takes 1:54 to get to the second whistle. Now I'm only about 93% as good as the world's best speedrunners (maybe 92% in my old age), so it's going to take me at least 2 minutes.

(Alright, in all seriousness I actually forgot how soon the second whistle is. I used to always play through the whole first world, but I guess that was just to get that P-Wing after the first airship)

Still, you know what could have taken less than 30 seconds? Selecting "CONTINUE" from the title screen.

And I just can't agree that those first levels are "masterful." To me, they are basic, lacking challenge and are boring. Perfectly fine for a tutorial of sorts, but I don't want to replay them anymore. I mostly feel the same way as the early levels in SMW, to be honest. The difference there is that I'm not forced to replay them every time I turn on the game. SMW gives the player the freedom to explore the world at their own leisure. Once you gone through an area, you can return to it anytime you want. Once you complete the game, the entire world is basically your playground and you can start any level at any time until the end of time (or until your battery dies, whichever comes first). You are forced to disproportionally experience the early levels in SMB3 and I don't like it.

It's okay if you've let it go, but the only person losing here is you because as I've stated elsewhere, SMW is not great if you compare it to SMB3

How am I losing if I can play the game I want to play and don't have to play the game I don't want to play? And yeah, I read through that thread. I thought it was an excellent troll thread based on how ridiculous your claims were... until I realized you were serious. 😬

Yoshi spot = the place where you can go get Power-ups, Yoshi, and unlimited lives if you wanted to...?

Right here behind the ghost house....

image.png.8909df88a5ee2ae66b27b91694a08080.png

Why is the save feature not saving your lives funny??? It's annoying when I've played through 1/2 the game and have 50 lives, but then they all get taken away because the save feature doesn't even actually work? All my hard work and fun exploring down the drain! 

There's 2, maybe 3 things the save feature could save in SMW. Levels passed, lives, and maybe points if you really want. But nope. Only 1/3. That's nothing to brag about. 

image.png

OK, yes I'm obviously familiar with that location and, like I said, it's not necessary because:

1. Yoshis (and other power ups)are literally all over the place, and...
  2. There's not a single level that requires any power ups to complete them.

And lives are given out like candy in this game. I don't even know what the "Game Over" screen looks like (if there even is one) because I've never run out of lives. Who cares if it doesn't save them?

Anyway, I love Super Mario Bros. 3 and I give it a 9/10!

23 minutes ago, Brickman said:

I can’t believe this debate is still going 🤣

Why is this even a debate? Here’s a newsflash for people:

YOU CAN PLAY THE GAME WITH SAVE FUNCTIONALITY ON THE SNES AND GBA

23 minutes ago, Gloves said:

And the NES version w/ emulation. *gasp!*

Also the Switch!

🤔

Actually, those are excellent points. I take back everything bad I said about the game. @AirVillain should have led with that.

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

7 hours ago, cj_robot said:

And lives are given out like candy in this game. I don't even know what the "Game Over" screen looks like (if there even is one) because I've never run out of lives. Who cares if it doesn't save them?

I guess you're just a SMW master. 😂

For us regular folk... so you collect a shit ton of lives, and then what??? YOU USE THE SAVE because you are done playing the game. Then when you go back and play you don't have any lives... and in the point I was making, it's annoying when you're playing the SPECIAL levels because they're tricky so sometimes only having 5 lives (instead of the 50+ I rightfully would have earned) is annoying.

Get it?

I guess I'm just not good enough at SMW to beat it after continuing, but not having more than 5 lives... 😳

Because I CAN beat this game in one sitting... but the save function actually makes it more difficult to stop, and continue later..... Thus I feel as though it's a flawed system as it is. 🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, cj_robot said:

I thought it was an excellent troll thread based on how ridiculous your claims were... until I realized you were serious. 😬

Also, regarding this slanderous comment. The claims aren't ridiculous because no one has come up with ANY good counter points. 

THERE IS ONLY ONE THING THAT THE "SMW PPL" HAVE AGAINST SMB3.

It's the "lack" of a save battery. That's it. THAT. IS. IT. 

Saying SMW has better graphics and better music is stupid because OF COURSE IT DOES. But it doesn't have better game control/levels... So what do SMW ppl have? The battery... that's the only thing they can claim.

So SMW people cling to their beloved battery as the only "major" upgrade to SMB3 and tout it as some sort of miracle saviour that makes SMW better than SMB3.... but in reality.... SMB3 is just a superior GAME.  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Brickman said:

I can’t believe this debate is still going 🤣

Why is this even a debate? Here’s a newsflash for people:

YOU CAN PLAY THE GAME WITH SAVE FUNCTIONALITY ON THE SNES AND GBA

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

And the NES version w/ emulation. *gasp!*

Also the Switch!

Yeah, but unless I'm mistaken, that's not what this discussion is "about". 

It's about whether SMB3 "needed" a battery or not on the NES. Of course it's going to have one in the later versions? 

Right? But that's not what this is about. This is about whether SMB3 needed a battery on the NES (as it was, when it came out when we were but small children). 

Which, as we all should know... the answer is no.

Not ONCE as an 8 year old child did I think SMB3 needed a battery. 

Haha, I think I need to buy a SMB3 t-shirt or something. Maybe bed set and pyjamas.... I need to up my fanboy game. 🤣

Edited by AirVillain

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

Yeah, but unless I'm mistaken, that's not what this discussion is "about". 

It's about whether SMB3 "needed" a battery or not on the NES. Of course it's going to have one in the later versions? 

Right? But that's not what this is about. This is about whether SMB3 needed a battery on the NES (as it was, when it came out when we were but small children). 

Which, as we all should know... the answer is no.

Not ONCE as an 8 year old child did I think SMB3 needed a battery. 

Ahhh ok fair enough. I don't personally think it requires one but I also never knew people debated this issue until this thread 🤣 

Seems moot considering there are both options available, so both camps can be happy, but I won't stand in front of a raging pointless debate. Carry on good sir.

• Haha 1

Alright, @AirVillain this has been fun, but I need a break from this thread. 

All I will say is thank goodness all the progress we've made here has been recorded at this wonderful site, so we can continue on where right we left off. It would have been truly awful if I had to start the conversation over from the beginning every time I logged in.

videogamesage.com gets a 10/10 👍

Edited by cj_robot
  • Haha 3

Go Crazy Wtf GIF

🤣 

YOU USE THE SAVE because you are done playing the game. Then when you go back and play you don't have any lives... and in the point I was making, it's annoying when you're playing the SPECIAL levels because they're tricky so sometimes only having 5 lives (instead of the 50+ I rightfully would have earned) is annoying.

If you need extra lives you can grind for them just as easily in either game; if you do or don't, the latter doesn't require playing the beginning levels every time. 

• Like 1