IGNORED

Game Debate #209: Mario Party

Rate it  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

I know it sucks compared to like... the next 6 Mario Party games, but still 8/10. I played it for hours alone, let alone all the time I got friends to do 50 turns with me. I never liked any of the party board game knock offs as much as the original series.

I love the bullshit, the Chance Time, the hand it always places on the scale.

Mario Kart blue shells are weak. You can be like 30 seconds ahead in Mario Kart if you're better than who you're playing against. In Mario Party, you can grind out 3 hours of winning minigames against your friends then on turn 48 someone gets Chance Time and uses the first hit to choose

skjadKL.png

Nothing like it.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Every time I feel somewhat excited to try out a Mario Party game again, and actually have a bunch of people to play it with, those expectations get immediately shattered by how utterly and incredibly boring it is to spend 95% of your time with the game just waiting for other people to make dice rolls which ultimately don't matter anyway. It's like watching a tax program or something I don't know. The occasional somewhat fun minigame that might show up for 30 seconds once during your playthrough doesn't really make up for it.

I went with 2/10 because I could see the games having some potential, but even that feels a little high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sumez said:

Every time I feel somewhat excited to try out a Mario Party game again, and actually have a bunch of people to play it with, those expectations get immediately shattered by how utterly and incredibly boring it is to spend 95% of your time with the game just waiting for other people to make dice rolls which ultimately don't matter anyway. It's like watching a tax program or something I don't know. The occasional somewhat fun minigame that might show up for 30 seconds once during your playthrough doesn't really make up for it.

I went with 2/10 because I could see the games having some potential, but even that feels a little high.

Season 2 Hello GIF by National Geographic Channel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I've actually never played the original, but I've enjoyed every iteration that I've played.  I have a hard time believing I wouldn't enjoy the original.  I just don't have much reason to try it out.

This is me 100%.  Never played the original.  I like the ones I've played ok, but I don't think the original is going to offer me any reason to ever try it.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Have you considered having nostalgic feelings of the highs the game gives you, letting those boring parts melt away over the past 25 years, and only remembering the brightest spots?

I don't think I've ever actually played the original and really only played a few rounds of some of the later entries (one of the versions on the GameCube and the newest one on Switch). I have nothing against them as a concept or as a series but neither have I been terribly compelled by any of them. When it came to "party" type games, something like Mario Kart or Smash Bros. was always the direction things seemed to go rather than mini-game collections like the Mario Party series.

Edited by Webhead123

Bloody palms everywhere!

Simply a blast with the right group of friends.  Between this, Mario Kart, Smash, and Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, N64 was were the party was at.

2 might be the best though, with its better theming and mini game selection.

Pretty crappy, finally had a use for that score.  F this game. 😕

The only merit it has, and even then, there's the controller wear out issues it caused, is the multiplayer IF you can round out all four players.  The AI cheats like a bitch if you play it alone or not with all people.  THe mini games are a decent spread, they alone are at times pretty to very good, but if you play well in the game expect the AI to throw you under the bus pretty consistently so you lose crossing the finishing line at the end of the board games map first.  The other issue is controller wear, they made enough games in there where you need to spin the stick around obscenely hard and fast to where it wears down the plastic pieces in the bowl of the joystick so you get a sloppy one that falls to the side and will drift effectively breaking the thing.

If they just made a Mario Party game of Mario Party MINIGAMES just to enjoy as a high score run I would give the game like 5-6 more points, but as a board game it's an abusive AI scheming pile of crap.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

If they just made a Mario Party game of Mario Party MINIGAMES just to enjoy as a high score run I would give the game like 5-6 more points, but as a board game it's an abusive AI scheming pile of crap.

You can make a playlist of just minigames to play sans the board sections at the mini game house.

Grab Bag, Coin Block Bash, Bumper Balls, Mushroom-Mix Up were always in the mix

Like all Mario Party games, it's good with other people but it's a slog when playing alone. I used to play the first 4 games religiously with my sister when I was younger. But I haven't a Mario Party with other people in probably a decade. So I rarely play them. The first one is the slowest one so I can't recommend this if you're playing alone. But with friends it's a good time. 8/10

9/10 - My friends and I had loads of fun with the original game back when it came out.  Mario Party 3 would later become the favorite, but before that this was a staple at my house.  My controllers (not hands) survived the wind-up toy game as well.

I also had fun playing it solo to unlock everything.  I would always do 20 turns, so that I could collect stars faster via the endgame bonuses.  I liked that I could usually win by earning the ones for most coins from the mini-games and overall.  I also abused the trick where you change the CPU players to humans at the last second to add everyone's stuff to the bank (not sure why that wasn't otherwise allowed).

• Like 1

I wanted to give it 5/10 because I find the upsides and downsides cancel each other out. I like the concept and the settings, I like the mini-games and the competition aspects.

I dislike the bullshit and the long-ass downtimes between turns.

But I gave it a 6/10 because there's still fun to be had there. And when it comes to the random bullshit, the N64 entries are far from being the worst offenders. If you win the most mini-games, you will win the game more often than not.