IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 2

BeaIank

19 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Wow, first I've heard of this Life Force scoring glitch.  Wonder how far it can be exploited?

Hopefully not too far.  I hate seeing silly things like this factor into a contest (thankfully it looks like it didn't).

It's kinda like scoring 700 points for head-butting people in NES Double Dragon.  The game's weakest move should not also be the highest scoring move.

I think it can be exploited on any enemy in the game although it’s tricky to time it right. I think it’s frame perfect. I messed around with the first “arm” in the game and it will award me 1000-4000 points. You would swear you were doing it exactly the same each time though. Or maybe it only sets off the glitch sometimes. I can almost always get a double amount of points in the first arm but sometimes triple/quadruple. Seldom does it award the right amount when attempting to glitch it.

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Wow, first I've heard of this Life Force scoring glitch.  Wonder how far it can be exploited?

Hopefully not too far.  I hate seeing silly things like this factor into a contest (thankfully it looks like it didn't).

It's kinda like scoring 700 points for head-butting people in NES Double Dragon.  The game's weakest move should not also be the highest scoring move.

The bigger problem is that you can't really forbid it as anyone can trigger it by mistake just by being fully powered up and firing casually enemies. Hence why allowing it in a 1 loop contest makes it interesting.

Of course, the best way to exploit it is to try to trigger it on the bosses as glitch can multiply by 2x-3x (4x?) the bosses points if their last hit is triggered by many of your projectiles. So taking the risk of defeating a boss at very close range was the best strategy to score most points in this contest.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, guillavoie said:

The bigger problem is that you can't really forbid it as anyone can trigger it by mistake just by being fully powered up and firing casually enemies. Hence why allowing it in a 1 loop contest makes it interesting.

Of course, the best way to exploit it is to try to trigger it on the bosses as glitch can multiply by 2x-3x (4x?) the bosses points if their last hit is triggered by many of your projectiles. So taking the risk of defeating a boss at very close range was the best strategy to score most points in this contest.

I’ve only ever been able to double up a boss. Where I have tripled/quadrupled the “Arms”.

• Like 1