Jump to content
IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 2


BeaIank
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, mbd39 said:

There arent many fun games that would appropriately be classified as puzzlers. Tetris, krazy kreatures, dr mario, and Im about out. I don't mind the mods taking liberties with the category to make it playable. 

And I got to level 3 tonight finally and it was fucking puzzling. Clear the whole board but one, no way to get back there without turning others back. I was goddamn puzzled

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

There arent many fun games that would appropriately be classified as puzzlers. Tetris, krazy kreatures, dr mario, and Im about out. I don't mind the mods taking liberties with the category to make it playable. 

And I got to level 3 tonight finally and it was fucking puzzling. Clear the whole board but one, no way to get back there without turning others back. I was goddamn puzzled

I think one thing that makes the puzzle genre different from the other 5 or 6 genres we play here is that generally speaking, gamers do not approach it casually.  People tend overwhelmingly to either love it and spend a lot of time with it or have no interest in it with the exception of a game or three like Tetris, that has a more uncharacteristic universal appeal and can be played in short bursts.  So maybe what I'm saying is most applicable to puzzle adventure games specifically, which require a more serious expenditure of time and energy for problem solving.  To make just one counter-example to stand for the rest of the genres, many people who are not deeply into arcade games like to dabble in them a lot, have a quick play and move on, which works with most genres because they are more pick up and play as opposed to being presented with a schematic that one must think their whole way through before making a move...

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Okay, the first five levels are a bit of a cakewalk. It's the last level that is kind of a bitch to beat without a death. I want to do this, though. Not just for the tournament.

 

 

You can absolutely do it. No deathing one loop of Life Force isn't too hard.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I haven’t gotten past stage three yet those fire dragons are awesome!!!

That's the hardest level in the game by far.  After that it's just a matter of not dying on that last pipe that goes all the way across the screen during the final escape...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That's the hardest level in the game by far.  After that it's just a matter of not dying on that last pipe that goes all the way across the screen during the final escape...

I can’t remember it exactly but there is one semi tricky part in the final escape perhaps that’s the part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That's the hardest level in the game by far.  After that it's just a matter of not dying on that last pipe that goes all the way across the screen during the final escape...

I disagree. Now that I know what to do in level three, it seems very easy, and I never die there anymore. I hate the section in the last level with the really fast small balls that fly around all over the place and the flames. There doesn't seem to be a strat other than avoid getting hit.

 

Edited by mbd39
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I disagree. Now that I know what to do in level three, it seems very easy, and I never die there anymore. I hate the section in the last level with the really fast small balls that fly around all over the place and the flames. There doesn't seem to be a strat other than avoid getting hit.

 

Ya the fire stage isn’t too bad imo. Are you talking about the vertical scrolling stage “really fast small balls” If it’s what I’m thinking I always thought they were like shooting stars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...