IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 2

BeaIank

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, well I used Ripple the whole time on Life Force and I just learned that killing certain enemies quicker with lasers gets you more points.  Oh wells... like you said, to my own detriment...  I was just focused on getting the no-death run, so at least I accomplished that...

That's good at least, there's still time anyway for some improvement.  I'm not playing Life Force at all - I'm horrendous at shooters.  In this instance getting 4th is unrealistic and I need all the time I can get on Q*Bert.  I have a good approach and I'm pretty good but I'm just !*@&ing up a lot, I need to actually put a proper run together.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

ole chicken pot @PII is still messing around 

That's what I would normally think, but he didn't even post a score for one of the first round games, so I honestly don't know if he's holding great scores for both games or already done with his Q*bert score from a week ago...

Is PII one of the ppl here who's bad at shooters? I don't remember.

Life Force is so polarizing in terms of difficulty, considered to be either very easy or way too difficult without the 30 lives cheat depending on who you ask. I used to think it was impossible until I finally forced myself to learn the game and now it's not that bad at all.

This reviewer gave it an Arthur award for high difficulty and says that it's often infuriating. It's a good overview of what the game is like for those who suck at it. https://videogamecritic.com/nesll.htm?e=97300#rev1736

I've still only played the first loop. I know it gets harder, so now I'm curious to keep looping and see how far I can get.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

What exactly is the double hit glitch anyway? I remember people discussing it in the 2017 thread but a lot of pages are missing from the archive and there's nothing about it on the internet.

Speaking of the 2017 thread, I used gutsman004's technique that he mentioned there in order to clear the final section unscathed.

"On the final gate area right after you kill Zelos's,line your ship up between the first and second digits of your score then move to the top of the screen. Count the gates as they appear and before the 10th gate appears,move right just a tad,then as soon as you pass it tap back over to the original position. If done correctly,you won't get touched. 
"

Try it, it works.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

What exactly is the double hit glitch anyway?

Maybe that's what skinny used to hit 300k on a single play-through.

Regardless, I think the minimum requirements for these tournament games are really seperating the men from the boys here.  Most of these guys can't seem to put up any scores at all... 😛

Edited by Dr. Morbis

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Maybe that's what skinny used to hit 300k on a single play-through.

Regardless, I think the minimum requirements for these tournament games are really seperating the men from the boys here.  Most of these guys can't seem to put up any scores at all... 😛

Also a combination of killing more enemies and getting more of the hidden 5k bonuses that are strewn around.

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Life_Force/Secrets

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Also a combination of killing more enemies and getting more of the hidden 5k bonuses that are strewn around.

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Life_Force/Secrets

I've used that site before, but I didn't bother doing any research with Life Force.  I figured if I no-deathed it I would get points here no matter what my score was at the end...

8 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Part of what motivated me was wanting to add another NES game to the deathless completion list, especially one that intimidated me for so long.

Only recently have I been able to consistently get past the third level. What I do is stay to the far left and you can always see the flares coming with enough time to move up or down to get out of the way. As long as you're fully powered the other enemies usually won't be an issue, it's just avoiding the flares.