IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 2

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Round 1 is still going in hot, it ends today, so our top 8 players of 2022 will have to tackle the ROUND 2 GAMES for the run for the 2022 TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP!

This week, our 8 players, listed below, will tackle a puzzle and a shooter game.

And here are the games:

Puzzle:

• Game: Q-Bert
  • Rules:
    • Make it to round 4-1 and pause the game
    • You don't have to make it there in one life, so you can burn lives for points
    • Highest score wins

Shooter:

• Game: Life Force
  • Rules:
    • Loop the game without dying
    • Highest score wins
    • The double hit glitch is allowed 

Points will be awarded for each game in the following fashion:

• 1st place - 5 points
  • 2nd place - 4 points
  • 3rd place - 2 points
  • 4th place - 1 point
  • 5th and onward - No points

Round 2 ends Sunday, 11/27/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

Second Round Results :

Life Force :

1st   docile tapeworm   329,990 = 5 points
2nd  mbd39                  276,670 = 4 points
3rd  Dr. Morbis              238,390 = 2 points

Q*Bert :

1st  Pii                    77,660 = 5 points
2nd Dr. Morbis      70,800 = 4 points
3rd Krunch            70,130 = 2 points

Tournament Standing :

1st  Dr. Morbis           = 16 points
2nd the_wiz_666       = 8 points

3rd Pii                         = 7 points
4th docile tapeworm = 5 points
5th mbd39                 = 4 points
6th Krunch                 = 3 points
6th NesFiend             = 3 points
8th JamesBlowbot    = no point

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
5 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Just dawned on me...since when is Q-Bert a puzzle game?  Honestly, I didn't realize this sooner, but it's definitely NOT a puzzle game, it's an arcade game...

Bea is definitely stretching the definition of what a puzzle game is here, hahaha! But, to her defense, there's some puzzle elements in Q bert, especially when the blocks start to change every time you step on them, and then when a third color is introduce to the whole. Still more an arcade game, but we can accept it as puzzle oriented for sure. Also, the arcade genre is the most historically based, and a lot of the game mechanics and criteria we easily recognize in the other genres can actually be found in a lot of arcade games. They're almost always arcade + 'insert another genre' games , theoretically speaking.

And it could have been even more weird as she initially picked up Popeye as a puzzle game for the first round, lol!

7 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Bea is definitely stretching the definition of what a puzzle game is here, hahaha! But, to her defense, there's some puzzle elements in Q bert, especially when the blocks start to change every time you step on them, and then when a third color is introduce to the whole. Still more an arcade game, but we can accept it as puzzle oriented for sure. Also, the arcade genre is the most historically based, and a lot of the game mechanics and criteria we easily recognize in the other genres can actually be found in a lot of arcade games. They're almost always arcade + 'insert another genre' games , theoretically speaking.

And it could have been even more weird as she initially picked up Popeye as a puzzle game for the first round, lol!

And Qbert was classified as puzzle back when we played it in 2016. https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageviewe30b.html?catid=31&threadid=163346

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Skinny posts Ric Flair gifs on Sunday, but then skips posting a score. I kinda wish I didn't give my spot up now.

That’s between you and blowbot. I made my way into the tournament legit brother!

16 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

He probably won't have a score this week either since he can't even beat the first level of Life Force.... 😛

4693787B-35EC-4357-B60D-16FC97AA54A5.gif.8a1ae81a4fbdc733f860d478e00334a4.gif

Edited by docile tapeworm