IGNORED

Crowd Pleaser Songs

fcgamer

My friend and I have been performing music together locally for about a year now, and we just had our first paid gig this past Friday. Before then we were just playing at open mics and what not, trying to find our niche (we're a duo, just consisting of me (on guitar) and the other guy (on fiddle). 

We do a variety of music including classics from the 60s / 70s, Irish music, folk music, some Americana and classical fiddle tunes, 90s country, originals, etc. Tonight when we were at an open mic, the crowd got really into the Irish tunes and they then wanted us to do a sea shanty that most of you probably know from childhood, What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor. The song is simple so we winged it, but then a German guy asked us for a different song, which we didn't know and didn't take the request. A few months ago we had a request for John Denver's Country Roads Take Me Home and we then learned the song, and it is one we usually work into our sets as it's popular with the crowds at the end of a night.

So I am wondering, for those that like live music in pubs or festivals, what are the crowd pleasers that you would request if you saw a music group playing? We hope to learn a few others to integrate into our set on the fly, as needed.

• Like 1

Devil Went Down to Georgia seems like you are uniquely qualified for

Spoiler

Rebel Yell I’ve seen countless bar bands do…it is never a bad time

Spoiler

FF7 theme…this is a game site

Spoiler

Gangster’s Paradise…out of left field but kinda perfect

Spoiler

I live in Nashville so you know, you can’t throw a rock without hitting a musician. Myself included. One night a friend of mine was out playing at a bar. Jimmy Buffet was in town and everyone wanted to hear Jimmy Buffet songs. Toward the end of the night a dude walked up to them and asked them to play Margaritaville again. My buddy said “Man, we’ve played that song all night long. Is there anything else you want to hear?” The dude busted out $100 bills for every band member and said he wanted to hear Margaritaville. They played Margaritaville.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Strange said:

I live in Nashville so you know, you can’t throw a rock without hitting a musician. Myself included. One night a friend of mine was out playing at a bar. Jimmy Buffet was in town and everyone wanted to hear Jimmy Buffet songs. Toward the end of the night a dude walked up to them and asked them to play Margaritaville again. My buddy said “Man, we’ve played that song all night long. Is there anything else you want to hear?” The dude busted out $100 bills for every band member and said he wanted to hear Margaritaville. They played Margaritaville.

I was gonna say, the two that come to mind immediately are Margaritaville and Sweet Caroline by Neal Diamond. Basically, if we as a collective crowd have added our own, universal lyrics, it’s a crowd pleaser.

There’s also Love Shack (not just because it was on Reed’s brackets this week, but man that’s a common party song “everyone” loves. I bet Billy Jean by MJ could be arranged well with a guitar and fiddle too, and I bet that would get the crowd hyped. The fiddle on that one could attempt to mimic the synth/keyboard parts. Actually, if you did do that, I’d kind of like to see a video of it if it were recorded.

Music with a guitar and a fiddle is tough to pin, though. If you can make your own unique arrangements to 20+ year old pop songs everyone knows but wouldn’t imagine being performed that way, it could probably land well.

Edited by RH
  • Thanks 1

Moderator · Posted
39 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

My "do not play" list at my wedding was comprised 100% of songs mentioned in this thread.  No exaggeration.

"Fuck people having a good time!" - me, probably 😂

Mine wasn’t too far off. I also said no line dances like the chicken dance, Macarena, electric slide and Cupid shuffle 😂 

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

FREEBIRD!!!!!!!!!!!

🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️

Seriously can't believe nobody mentioned that one yet.  I've never been to a concert where that hasn't specifically been shouted out virtually the moment any one of the bands playing asks if anyone has any requests, lol!

Actually I like this idea, I'll let my buddy deal with the solo and arrange it for violin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

My "do not play" list at my wedding was comprised 100% of songs mentioned in this thread.  No exaggeration.

"Fuck people having a good time!" - me, probably 😂

You sound exactly like my friend.  He told the DJ nothing that's been popular since the 90s, no pop/boy band stuff, Britney Spears was right out, etc... the DJ said "Ok", and then that's all he played aaaaaaall night.

Fortunately my friend was a guy who could role with it, even though he was a music snob. 🤣

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

FREEBIRD!!!!!!!!!!!

🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️

Seriously can't believe nobody mentioned that one yet.  I've never been to a concert where that hasn't specifically been shouted out virtually the moment any one of the bands playing asks if anyone has any requests, lol!

I always thought that was a joke because it's so ridiculously long.  I didn't think anyone was legit asking for Freebird. Are they?

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, RH said:

I always thought that was a joke because it's so ridiculously long.  I didn't think anyone was legit asking for Freebird. Are they?

Yes.  Folks down south in the US are so passionate about it, that's really where the joke came from, because they asked for it every moment possible, regardless of who was playing.  The band SR-71 got asked so many times, they ended up incorporating it into their show ~15-20 years ago, lol!

• Wow! 1