IGNORED

Crowd Pleaser Songs

fcgamer

I’m not really into music. But music is an established industry. There is all kinds of big data and analytics. I’m sure with a little research you can find out which songs have mass appeal.. it probably varies by geography, but even so the data would still cover you.

Doesn’t sound as fun as maybe a more subjective discussion based approach, but it will probably work best

8 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Yes.  Folks down south in the US are so passionate about it, that's really where the joke came from, because they asked for it every moment possible, regardless of who was playing.  The band SR-71 got asked so many times, they ended up incorporating it into their show ~15-20 years ago, lol!

Huh, ok.  I grew up and went to college in the South (but to be clear, I’ve never been into country or a typical “Southerner” in many respects) but while I was at school, hearing hecklers asking for Freebird was common.  Not a one of them meant it, but I guess that was the crowd I was around and the types of concerts I frequented.

27 minutes ago, RH said:

Huh, ok.  I grew up and went to college in the South (but to be clear, I’ve never been into country or a typical “Southerner” in many respects) but while I was at school, hearing hecklers asking for Freebird was common.  Not a one of them meant it, but I guess that was the crowd I was around and the types of concerts I frequented.

In my area, everyone requested Freebird and the reason they requested it was because while the song chords themselves are quite basic, no one that we knew ever bothered to take the time to learn the proper solo, making it sort of a "test" of the band's competency.

1 hour ago, RH said:

You sure they didn't mean it?  I'm absolutely not into country myself (and Skynyrd is far from "country"), never been to a country show, etc., but the song has always been requested.  Whether the first person to shout "Freebird!" was serious or not, the crowd has always erupted with screams of joy and happiness every time the band on stage actually took up the request (which has been the vast majority of times).  Heck, it even got requested when I saw U2 in Baltimore close to 20 years ago, and Edge started playing the intro before Bono started laughing too hard and asking, "Ok, ok, anything else?"

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

You sure they didn't mean it?  I'm absolutely not into country myself (and Skynyrd is far from "country"), never been to a country show, etc., but the song has always been requested.  Whether the first person to shout "Freebird!" was serious or not, the crowd has always erupted with screams of joy and happiness every time the band on stage actually took up the request (which has been the vast majority of times).  Heck, it even got requested when I saw U2 in Baltimore close to 20 years ago, and Edge started playing the intro before Bono started laughing too hard and asking, "Ok, ok, anything else?"

Well, maybe so.  I was into the undergroun punk/Christian hardcore scene in the late-90s/early-00s at the time and, yes, some times a band would start playing it too, but none of them ever actually played it for more than 15 seconds.  This was often met with crowd cheers and laughters because it wasn't actually expected.

@darkchylde28

I found this article about the "tradition" and it seems to resonate with my concert experience.  Also, I seem to recall seeing a transition card in one of the Guitar Hero games that had a one liner like "When the audience asks you to play Freebird, they don't mean it.  They're just heckling you.", or something like that.  I couldn't find a screenshot.  Regardless, Freebird appeared in one of the Guitar Heros furthering the joke.

https://people.howstuffworks.com/play-freebird.htm

22 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

My "do not play" list at my wedding was comprised 100% of songs mentioned in this thread.  No exaggeration.

"Fuck people having a good time!" - me, probably 😂

22 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

My only rule at my wedding was no country lol

Do you both hate fun? 😂

4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think they just put The Best of Kenny Loggins on repeat when they open and call it a day. @docile tapeworm can probably confirm this.

I seriously want to go to the Hooters that you guys are all going to.  I'd stay from open to close to listen to classic 80s hits versus the wall of sound of modern country/honky tonk crap that all the ones I've ever been to play, lol!

3 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I seriously want to go to the Hooters that you guys are all going to.  I'd stay from open to close to listen to classic 80s hits versus the wall of sound of modern country/honky tonk crap that all the ones I've ever been to play, lol!

There are four in the greater Cincinnati area all within roughly the same distance. They all have those Touchtones jukeboxes and I swear they share the same default playlist. There's a lot of Phil Collins, CCR, Joan Jett, B52s, etc. Sometimes they thrown in some modern pop like Avril Lavigne or Britney Spears, but it's mostly '80s music.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

There are four in the greater Cincinnati area all within roughly the same distance. They all have those Touchtones jukeboxes and I swear they all share the same default playlist.

No jukeboxes in the ones in TN that I've visited, just whatever the management/staff feel like playing, which has always been "Country Music Hell" as far as I'm concerned, lol!

1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

No jukeboxes in the ones in TN that I've visited, just whatever the management/staff feel like playing, which has always been "Country Music Hell" as far as I'm concerned, lol!

The ones around here apparently know how to cater to their core audience of middle aged day drinkers. Country is fairly popular around here, but I don't hear a lot of it in the bars. It's kind of like that SiriusXM station that plays pop hits from the '80s to 2000s. I imagine if you are in TN, country is kind of a big deal.

12 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I don't mind the newer pop country, but I can't stand that crap about how somebody's girl dumped them, the tractor broke down and their hound dog got ran over. Now this is the type of country that I'm okay with.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't mind the newer pop country, but I can't stand that crap about how somebody's girl dumped them, the tractor broke down and their hound dog got ran over. Now this is the type of country that I'm okay with.

That newer pop country rap is the worst music ever made, any genre. Thankfully good independent country has made a huge jump, with guys like Tyler Childers, Cody Jinks, Turnpike Troubadours and Sturgill Simpson leading the way. 

27 minutes ago, doner24 said:

That newer pop country rap is the worst music ever made, any genre. Thankfully good independent country has made a huge jump, with guys like Tyler Childers, Cody Jinks, Turnpike Troubadours and Sturgill Simpson leading the way. 

You're not wrong. I've heard this one on the radio several times and it's great.