IGNORED

What are the cheapest games that you love the most?

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

captain Skyhawk is cheaper and better than gyruss.

I should point out as evidence of Skinny's judgement that he also thinks Amy Winehouse is the ideal wife. 

Not saying that says anything about his assessment of video games, but ... Amy Winehouse. 

😛

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I like where darkchylde went going outside of the cart(d)/disc type stuff which reminded me that I think it would be fair to say that still video gaming but older/more basic would be segmented LCD games.  You know, like the Tiger, Radio Shack, etc handheld games.  A lot of them were mediocre to crap, but sometimes they hit it right going off on a tangent, doing something original enough, or somehow well enough capturing some NES/arcade title so it worked.

I still have a drawer with a few Tigers in it, Castlevania II, Karnov, Baseball, Mega Man 2, and Gauntlet.  The first three I reacquired I guess 5-7 years ago at a flea market with their little booklets still for a dollar each, and the other two were in the $10-20 range.

I've had others, still would own some if I came across them again and they're also in that 1-20 range.

If this really was more just about actual games I could go through stuff and type a list, but this felt more fun. 🙂

9 hours ago, Lynda Monica said:

I've never played Captain Skyhawk. I looked up a playthrough of it online just now, and it doesn't really look that good to be honest. 😅

Looks can be deceiving 🙂 its a good game at the least! And the soundtrack is fantastic!

Edited by docile tapeworm

9 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I should point out as evidence of Skinny's judgement that he also thinks Amy Winehouse is the ideal wife. 

Not saying that says anything about his assessment of video games, but ... Amy Winehouse. 

😛

Oh wow look at me I love gun nac, it’s the greatest shooter on the nes. See my avatar? Compile is a juggernaut. The graphics in gun nac are unmatched, the gameplay and power ups are perfect…

blah blah blah. Gun nac is so overrated. Stinger does the abstract shooter better! There’s even a better compile shooter on the nes TGL! Oh boy here come the zanac fan boys 🙄And what of toplan? Twin cobra is so disrespected! What a fantastic port!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

There’s even a better compile shooter on the nes TGL!

I actually agree somewhat (in terms of overall game you get more), but on NA someone already had a Guardian Legend ship avatar. And I think someone else had the Batman NES logo for theirs, which was actually my first choice.

Besides, removing my ship would be like you removing your photorealistic portrait avatar. 😛 No one would recognize us!

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

I actually agree somewhat (in terms of overall game you get more), but on NA someone already had a Guardian Legend ship avatar. And I think someone else had the Batman NES logo for theirs, which was actually my first choice.

Besides, removing my ship would be like you removing your photorealistic portrait avatar. 😛 No one would recognize us!

What about when she is in humanoid form? I was just having some fun. Gun nac is a fantastic game.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

What about when she is in humanoid form? I was just having some fun. Gun nac is a fantastic game.

She is pretty cute. I should see if I can find that sprite.

The European artwork is so much better than the one we got. 

I know you're having fun. No worries.

🙂

• Like 1

These are all still around $20 or less.

NES:

Tetris (Nintendo)

Marble Madness

Batman

Jackal

Super C

POW: Prisoners of War

Adventures of Bayou Billy

Double Dragon 2

Adventure Island

Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Gaiden 2

Rad Racer

Palamedes

TMNT2: The Arcade Game

Kung Fu

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

She is pretty cute. I should see if I can find that sprite.

The European artwork is so much better than the one we got. 

I know you're having fun. No worries.

🙂

What even is the North American art? Is that ….thing….even in the game? Lol

But you can’t change your avatar! 

I know I let it go with Tiger handhelds, they're cheap...price and quality too. 😉

I guess this was more about like actual video games.  One that has stood to out to me since it came out was Super Dodgeball on the NES, even on hard it's stupid easy, but it's so fun, short so you can repeat it whenever for fun and not over stay the welcome, and the added vicious(sorta) bean ball mode is a hoot.  It's a nice stress reliever to just destroy those little funny headed dudes and cause their spirits to pass on.  Even now I think it's still a $10-15 game, not much, had been like $5ish forever.

I agree also with the blades of steel post, double dribble falls in with that too, and while it is more a $10-15 game now too, baseball stars is a fantastic fit too.

Some others and I'd consider probably given money now a $20 cap there's a lot of cheapos on the NES I care for a lot, always have, though some you'll need patience to get there still sadly.  Gradius, Balloon Fight, DK3, Kung Fu, Jackal, Kirby Mega Man 2, TMNT2, and Spy Hunter are a few.

Gameboy would be easier, prices haven't got as bad there as much.  Even the starter stuff like Tetris and Super Mario Land can be had for $10 and they're cheap amazing replayable fun.  TMNT1, DK (1994), Kirby Dream Land and Block Ball, Samurai Shodown and SF2, Mario Land 2, Revenge of the Gator, Tetris Attack, The Getaway Highspeed (pinball), and wizards and warriors.  Also just the GB equal of 'black box' all those original generic named sports games, solar striker, alleyway.  They're cheap stupid fun.

On 10/19/2022 at 5:03 AM, docile tapeworm said:

Looks can be deceiving 🙂 its a good game at the least! And the soundtrack is fantastic!

I came here to say skyhawk. Might be my favorite shooter on nes and its two bucks. 

The 20 dollar standard is too high for "cheap" when it comes to nes games. As evidenced by @mbd39list, you can still get most classic/common nes games for 20 bucks or less. Skyhawk is a true bargain bin along with lots of great sports and racing games, many of which have been mentioned. 

Ill add NES open to the sports8 list. The latest mario golf is still just an updated nes open. I dont know why it isnt considered an all time classic and important part of gaming history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8bitdontquit said:

@docile tapeworm

I believe your avatar is from Abadox. 

Yes and my 2nd grade yearbook photo. Wish I had that shirt still.

31 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I came here to say skyhawk.

I always want to do the barrel roll but have yet to realize an actual use for it lol