IGNORED

What are the cheapest games that you love the most?

One of the beautiful things about retro gaming is that high prices don't always get you the best stuff. Unlike most other things in life, you can get wonderful games for the most budget of prices. So let's put our trophies to the side and talk about the cheapest games in your collections that bring you endless joy.

The We Cheer games on Wii are both ten to twenty dollars, and are really fantastic. One of my all time favourite NES games is Milon's Secret Castle, which you can find anywhere for ten dollars loose. Sonic Colors on the Wii is one of the finest games I've ever played, and is at the most twenty dollars. Gyruss on NES is one of the greatest shooters of all time, and is the simplest thing in the world to find and buy. Elebits for the Wii is common as dirt and can be picked up for ten dollars anywhere, and is a must own title for the Wii. Ecco the Dolphin is the single greatest Sega Genesis game of all time, and is one of the most affordable classics on the system.

This is obviously just a drop in the bucket, so what are some of your favourite cheap games?

For me, it would have to be some of the random plastic, handheld, mechanical games that my parents and various other relatives bought for me back in the early 80s.  They were cheap, there were different sorts available just about everywhere you went (department stores, drug stores, grocery stores, etc.), and they were all pretty great time wasters, especially on boring car rides.  The two I remember most fondly are "Attack In Space" by Tomy, and some sort of fruit-based "slot machine" that my grandmother gave me.  Even into the era of 70+ hour playthrough times, I'd wager that those two games likely saw more time spent on them than virtually anything else I've ever played, to date.

Nectaris for the PS1 has always been a bargain - offers great gameplay with some interesting game mechanics.  It is a light military strategy game and offers 108 scenarios (it is pretty unique in that once you finish the main campaign you can go in and replay any scenario).  It was based on (and includes it) the old Hucard game Military Madness.

Another one that goes cheaply is Battle Worlds Kronos for the switch - if you like military strategy games this is great. It is one of the few games that doesn't let air power overwhelm eveything else - in a lot of strategy games once you have air superiority that is pretty much about it for that battle.

WAAAY too many to list comprehensively at this juncture, at least as far as the NES Is concerned, but I think about this topic often so here're some of my big standouts and a few for other consoles as well.

NES      

Milon's Secret Castle        is my top pic here as well, been a huge fan forever!

Mighty Bomb Jack        Similar to MSC in that it's large, cryptic and challenging

Loopz       Best straight puzzler on the NES

Snake Rattle 'N' Roll       Singularly Unique 

Back To The Future       A shooter w/jumping = the best kind of shooter

Dino Riki       An even better shooter w/jumping

SNES

Tazmania       A wacky grab & gobble road race

Sega CD

Cliffhanger !       Pure awesome outrace the avalanche surrounded by a beat 'em up

PS1  

Asteroids        Great update and it's incredible 2-player fun

Q*bert 1999          A great expansion of the original concept in a similar vain as Q*bert 3

Atari 7800

Tower Toppler      A very original Ascending platform puzzle adventure known as Castelian on the NES

N64

Wipeout 64       If you're even kind of a racing fan and haven't played it there's something wrong inside you.

I decided cheap is $20 or less to get a game in any form. Usually this means getting a loose copy for this price. 

wii play - $4

geometry wars galaxies DS or wii - $10

nintendo land Wii U - $10

civilization vi switch - $10

dr Mario NES - $10-15

NES remix 3ds - $15 

mario strikers charged Wii - $15

zelda twilight princess Wii - $15

mega man 11 switch - $15-20

chocobo tales DS -$15-20

super Mario bros NES or GBA - $20

super Mario bros 3 NES or GBA - $20

Zelda ocarina of time 3ds - $20

wii sports - $20

yugioh dungeon dice monsters - $20

zelda link to the past GBA - $20

super smash bros brawl Wii - $20

tetris DS - $20

14 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

2 generations ago is always a good time to pick up the classics. Ps3 and Xbox 360 games are so dirt cheap right now.

Yup been digging into PS3 stuff lately. Found Uncharted 3 and all 3 Resistance games for $1 each the other day

• Wow! 1

Is this the latest "hidden gems" thread?

I agree with

On 10/17/2022 at 2:25 PM, RH said:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-4

7 hours ago, doner24 said:

RBI Baseball

THPS Series

, of course any

22 hours ago, Makar said:

Zelda

game, Kung Fu (Master), and along with RBI I'd add NES Baseball

For more original suggestions, I'll add:

Rush 'n' Attack 
 This tight 80s military propaganda-influenced run & gun from Konami features a few sound effects that were later found in Contra. The music is also superb. Good for fans of Rolling Thunder.
Defender
 This game conversely has no music whatsoever, in accord with its sparse, isolating environment. Yet much like its sibling game Robotron:2084, the wide variety of primitive sound effects is exciting and can be overwhelming at first.

Both of these games offer exciting challenge and far deeper gameplay than is initially obvious. They also reward quick turns and reflexes against onslaughts of enemies, in a balance that is simpler than bullet hell or modern mass combat (melee or FPS) games, but more varied than many games of their era. Perfection for me.

52 minutes ago, Link said:

Is this the latest "hidden gems" thread?

Maybe best bang for your buck thread. I’m not sure there really is a cheap hidden gem anymore. I’d say most have been found and those that haven’t are probably on switch and might not be cheap yet because it’s the current gen. 

49 minutes ago, Makar said:

Maybe best bang for your buck thread. I’m not sure there really is a cheap hidden gem anymore. I’d say most have been found and those that haven’t are probably on switch and might not be cheap yet because it’s the current gen. 

I was kinda joking but is this not the same thing? Games that are really good but too common or not popular or sought enough to be expensive?