IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tetris!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IT IS TIME!
IT IS TIME FOR TETRIS!!!

This year, we will follow the rules for Classic Tetris World Championship since the skill of our players is so high!
With no further ado, here's the RULES:

• Play on type A
  • Start at level 18  - Hold A while picking level 8 to pick level 18
  • Highest score wins
  • In case two or more players reach 999,999 points, the one that reached it on the lowest level will win
  • Participation: 11,400 (half the score value of a Tetris on level 18)
  • Genre: Puzzle

The contest ends Sunday, 10/09/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

This one's for your memory, Jonas Neubauer. May you be teaching the new generation of wicked Tetris players in Valhalla.

“Boom Tetris For Jeff”, Tang, Chris, 2016.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Start on level 18? I might be able to get participation. I like the Chris Tang quote. He PM'd me around 10 years ago on NA about buying his NWC cart when I was looking for one. 

You got 400k with level 15 start last time so you should do okay. Try warming up on 19 and then 18 will seem slow.

7 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I don't think I've even GOT to level 18 before, so I may actually struggle with this one.  Reaction speed isn't exactly my forte...though I am pretty good with spacial recognition, so it's possible I can get something...assuming I don't just keep playing Best of the Best...

Best of the Best is so slow that this is going to seem like light speed. I played Mike Tyson's Punch Out right after I finished playing Best of the Best and it felt like Punch Out was set on turbo mode.

20 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Breaking 100k was tougher than I thought. I might try some more this week, but I don't think that I'm going to do much better.

I managed to transition to 19 but I wish I could have got some more tetrises before the speed change.

3 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Haven't played in years, nor participated in any other weekly NES contests this year, but I feel inclined to dig up my cart again. Should I give it a go, or let it pass? 😛 

Go for it! I think the best I'll be able to do is in the 500k range if I'm lucky. You should be able to win this week.

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I managed to transition to 19 but I wish I could have got some more tetrises before the speed change.

I have a feeling that my reflexes are declining in my old age. I had to get a few practice runs in just to get to where I could even react at level 18 speed. My reaction time legitimately doesn't seem to be what it was a couple years ago.

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I have a feeling that my reflexes are declining in my old age. I had to get a few practice runs in just to get to where I could even react at level 18 speed. My reaction time legitimately doesn't seem to be what it was a couple years ago.

No matter how much I practice, I can't react fast enough for 19 speed. It's so tough at that speed to maintain a stack and get pieces over. but I can just about manage 18 speed.

One thing is the reaction speed at level 19, but trying to maintain the DAS charged, just adds a whole new layer of metagame on top of the already existing puzzle.

Honestly reaction time is just about conditioning your brain to do the thinking for you ahead of time, it's not as tough for an old fogey as you'd think (and it might even be healthy to train it). But the precisely timed execution aspect of proper level 19 play, that's something else.

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Sumez said:

One thing is the reaction speed at level 19, but trying to maintain the DAS charged, just adds a whole new layer of metagame on top of the already existing puzzle.

Honestly reaction time is just about conditioning your brain to do the thinking for you ahead of time, it's not as tough for an old fogey as you'd think (and it might even be healthy to train it). But the precisely timed execution aspect of proper level 19 play, that's something else.

I think it's mostly muscle memory like touch typing.

This is why Tetris is so hard for new players because they haven't played enough to get the muscle memory yet. At faster speeds you have no time to think about where to put pieces.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, mbd39 said:

No matter how much I practice, I can't react fast enough for 19 speed. It's so tough at that speed to maintain a stack and get pieces over. but I can just about manage 18 speed.

Lol YOU can "just about manage 18 speed" and cant manage the very next level? Bea apparently feeling extra sadistic. None of us not named Michael stand a chance