IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tetris!

BeaIank

10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

4) This may be a bit controversial, but maybe we should eliminate genres.

One issue with this is that there are some people who just come out for particular genres.  For example docile tapeworm pretty much only plays shooters, so if you eliminate the genres, will he still come out to post a score when each shooter comes up, even though there is nothing to "shoot" for?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I loved some of the Famicom games that Bea picked for prior contests. Quarth, Antarctic Adventure and Pooyan were a lot of fun.

I absolutely love playing Famicom games as well, to the point where I would happily participate in a weekly Famicom-only contest, but they do get low participation, so for the good of this weekly contest, they should probably be scaled back a bit in quantity and/or have more focus on the simpler arcade type games that are easy to play...

Points I think worth making:

If an obscure game comes up and the little dog knows it, he has a leg up on all of the big dogs who don't know it.

I very much enjoy getting introduced to games and finding something great that I might never have picked up and I consider that one of the best parts of the NES Weekly.

I have a budding interest in Famicom games so I'm enjoying having those pop up from time to time as well.

All of the above being the case, some smart choices on classics and when we play them might help in the coming year.

Progress + low score is the right choice at times, but definitely not to be equivalated with Speed Runs.  While there is overlap and the prog + low pic. can be substituted by those who are unable to record, it's worth keeping in mind that Speed Runs are INTENSE while prog + low is essentially playing a game as slow as one wishes while avoiding points.  Very different experiences in the final analysis.  The two speed runs this year were great choices and absolutely EPIC, intense fun competition and it is unfortunate that there weren't more who were able to take part. 

One week, I think, is ideal.  If people don't feel like taking part much or at all I don't see more time changing that.  Generally if I play a game every evening giving it my all for a week I'm very ready to stop playing that game come 10:00 p.m. Sunday night.  Also, offering points to fewer ranks seems like the opposite of what to do if the goal is to get more people involved.

I think the game choices for this year have been really great.  And I'll somewhat begrudgingly admit that even the games I consider to be "bad" can sometimes have their place in a Competition like this.  It's always interesting to see who can figure out how to progress through this nightmare or that.  It's def. part of Git'n Gud.

At the end of the day it may be difficult to increase participation, particularly if the number one reason people are choosing not to partake is that they are: getting older / having additional children / dealing with ever more real world concerns.  If it comes down to getting someone to choose the weekly over caring for their newborn baby the proselytizer may as well play baseball with a toothpick.  

I think the next big reason for lack of participation though simply comes down to the average gamer having a great many choices and most people tend to game the same way that they eat.  If they are starving, homeless and jobless they will eat what they can get.  But the minute those conditions are nullified they will go to the store when they feel like it, buy what they want to buy and eat it where and when they feel like eating it.  In which case the only answer is to make what you're serving more enticing; and not by adding a pinch of spice here and a dash of love there, but rather by doing something BIG that grabs the attention immediately and holds it and fills the viewer with desire and inspiration.

From @Philosoraptor

[ However, I didn't even know what games y'all were playing most weeks. I know that's a dumb reason to not participate, but maybe if the announcement were bigger or in a more prominent part of the site, you could get more participants. ]

I'm thinking Big-Flashing-Light-Up-Sign on the homepage for starters.

Finally, there are some talented gamers around these parts and not everyone is a cowboy/cowgirl and some folks may be hesitant to pick up a controller if they feel like they have no shot at being a top dog for the week.  All I can say for certain in this regard is that its important to remember that one is always competing first and foremost against oneself and with the right attitude that will always be enough regardless of the results.  If I personally found myself routinely competing against say, 10 others who walloped me every time I would still be thrilled to be able to take part with that talent, especially when it's as fun and friendly a group of gamers as its been here at the NES Weekly in the time I've been around.  Or as I like to say from time to time: You don't have to do great to have a great time!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PII said:

Finally, there are some talented gamers around these parts and not everyone is a cowboy/cowgirl and some folks may be hesitant to pick up a controller if they feel like they have no shot at being a top dog for the week.  All I can say for certain in this regard is that its important to remember that one is always competing first and foremost against oneself and with the right attitude that will always be enough regardless of the results.  If I personally found myself routinely competing against say, 10 others who walloped me every time I would still be thrilled to be able to take part with that talent, especially when it's as fun and friendly a group of gamers as its been here at the NES Weekly in the time I've been around.  Or as I like to say from time to time: You don't have to do great to have a great time!

For sure. I've found trying to get a high score, playing games I otherwise wouldn't (or haven't in a long time), and bettering myself to be a good part of the fun. I'm also typically middle of the table or lower when I compete. These days I'm not terribly competitive, so I'm here to have fun, win or lose.

...but I also know that's not all gamers.

I realize this week's contest is over, but FWIW, I spent 15 minutes trying to make participation and managed two scores over it: 11,794 and 12,938. I've played a decent amount of Tetris in my life and I'd consider myself to be a pretty good gamer, but I don't think I could do much better. I don't know if that's good, helpful, or interesting information in relation to this discussion, so for all those concerned, take that for what you will.

Edited by Philosoraptor

1 hour ago, PII said:

Points I think worth making:

If an obscure game comes up and the little dog knows it, he has a leg up on all of the big dogs who don't know it.

I very much enjoy getting introduced to games and finding something great that I might never have picked up and I consider that one of the best parts of the NES Weekly.

I have a budding interest in Famicom games so I'm enjoying having those pop up from time to time as well.

All of the above being the case, some smart choices on classics and when we play them might help in the coming year.

Progress + low score is the right choice at times, but definitely not to be equivalated with Speed Runs.  While there is overlap and the prog + low pic. can be substituted by those who are unable to record, it's worth keeping in mind that Speed Runs are INTENSE while prog + low is essentially playing a game as slow as one wishes while avoiding points.  Very different experiences in the final analysis.  The two speed runs this year were great choices and absolutely EPIC, intense fun competition and it is unfortunate that there weren't more who were able to take part. 

One week, I think, is ideal.  If people don't feel like taking part much or at all I don't see more time changing that.  Generally if I play a game every evening giving it my all for a week I'm very ready to stop playing that game come 10:00 p.m. Sunday night.  Also, offering points to fewer ranks seems like the opposite of what to do if the goal is to get more people involved.

I think the game choices for this year have been really great.  And I'll somewhat begrudgingly admit that even the games I consider to be "bad" can sometimes have their place in a Competition like this.  It's always interesting to see who can figure out how to progress through this nightmare or that.  It's def. part of Git'n Gud.

At the end of the day it may be difficult to increase participation, particularly if the number one reason people are choosing not to partake is that they are: getting older / having additional children / dealing with ever more real world concerns.  If it comes down to getting someone to choose the weekly over caring for their newborn baby the proselytizer may as well play baseball with a toothpick.  

I think the next big reason for lack of participation though simply comes down to the average gamer having a great many choices and most people tend to game the same way that they eat.  If they are starving, homeless and jobless they will eat what they can get.  But the minute those conditions are nullified they will go to the store when they feel like it, buy what they want to buy and eat it where and when they feel like eating it.  In which case the only answer is to make what you're serving more enticing; and not by adding a pinch of spice here and a dash of love there, but rather by doing something BIG that grabs the attention immediately and holds it and fills the viewer with desire and inspiration.

From @Philosoraptor

[ However, I didn't even know what games y'all were playing most weeks. I know that's a dumb reason to not participate, but maybe if the announcement were bigger or in a more prominent part of the site, you could get more participants. ]

I'm thinking Big-Flashing-Light-Up-Sign on the homepage for starters.

All good points, but I think at the end of the day the number one enemy is time, both meaning personal time we have in our lives to play in these weekly contests and the time that keeps distancing us from the NES era.  Yes, there is a trickle of young blood coming in that are in their early twenties like casual cart, but the reality is that this community is very different than it was ten-plus years ago in terms of stages of life.  Instead of being more care free in our late twenties and early thirties, now it's a bunch of mostly old geezers in our late thirties to early forties and beyond.  Priorities change and the world changes (once again, facebook, reddit, etc).  So it may just be that no matter what is done at this point, lower participation is the new reality... 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

So it may just be that no matter what is done at this point, lower participation is the new reality... 🤷‍♂️

This right here sums it up...it may be that the NES contest is dying slowly, much like the 8-bit era did in the wake of the 16-bit era.  It's a sad thing to face, but it may be time to start phasing over to another system entirely.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Instead of being more care free in our late twenties and early thirties, now it's a bunch of mostly old geezers in our late thirties to early forties and beyond.

This is always so ironic for me personally.  The reason so many others feel a need to move on from here is my reason for having arrived here.

36 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

So it may just be that no matter what is done at this point, lower participation is the new reality... 🤷‍♂️

¡Welcome friends, to the show that never ends!  That's right!, once again; it's time for the PII vs Morbo Show!!!!!

¡This weeks special guest contestant is a blast from the past!  ¡He used to be skinny, he's always grinny, even though he recently misplaced his dentures!  ¡You love just trying to make sense of his rambling incoherent stories!    ¡Please, put your hands together, show your love for your Tapeworm brother!

(applause) (applause) (Swelling applause......)

PII vs Morbo show!.png

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

This right here sums it up...it may be that the NES contest is dying slowly, much like the 8-bit era did in the wake of the 16-bit era.  It's a sad thing to face, but it may be time to start phasing over to another system entirely.

Moving to another inevitably less popular system that has longer and more in-depth games with less emphasis on scoring will solve exactly squat!  NES is that perfect bridge between the arcade "for score" era and console "for completion" era... the gooey middle of the Oreo cookie... Mmmmmmmm 🙂

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

All good points, but I think at the end of the day the number one enemy is time, both meaning personal time we have in our lives to play in these weekly contests and the time that keeps distancing us from the NES era.  Yes, there is a trickle of young blood coming in that are in their early twenties like casual cart, but the reality is that this community is very different than it was ten-plus years ago in terms of stages of life.  Instead of being more care free in our late twenties and early thirties, now it's a bunch of mostly old geezers in our late thirties to early forties and beyond.  Priorities change and the world changes (once again, facebook, reddit, etc).  So it may just be that no matter what is done at this point, lower participation is the new reality... 🤷‍♂️

I think I touched on something similar earlier. I was 30 when I started playing in the contests and I had a lot more energy and time to spend a few hours gaming each night. Now that it's 11 years later, I may play video games 1 or 2 days a week simply due to lack of energy or simply having other things to do. I agree that the lower participation may be the new normal, but there was only a small group of about a half dozen regulars when I started playing in the contests back in 2012, so there could always be an influx of new members that join in at the same time. Honestly, I preferred playing with a smaller group because it felt like you were in a virtual room with your online buddies as opposed to when the contests had 40+ players and you didn't have any personal interaction with 90% of them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PII said:

¡Welcome friends, to the show that never ends!  That's right!, once again; it's time for the PII vs Morbo Show!!!!!

¡This weeks special guest contestant is a blast from the past!  ¡He used to be skinny, he's always grinny, even though he recently misplaced his dentures!  ¡You love just trying to make sense of his rambling incoherent stories!    ¡Please, put your hands together, show your love for your Tapeworm brother!

(applause) (applause) (Swelling applause......)

@docile tapeworm has gotten lazy in his old age compared to back when he used to call himself the grinder. Not that I have a lot of room to talk since I've gotten older and lazier too. 😂

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

One issue with this is that there are some people who just come out for particular genres.  For example docile tapeworm pretty much only plays shooters, so if you eliminate the genres, will he still come out to post a score when each shooter comes up, even though there is nothing to "shoot" for?

I like to participate in a good platformer too (NG, smb3, shatterhand, Batman….and a good beat um up dd, tmnt).

7 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I like to participate in a good platformer too (NG, smb3, shatterhand, Batman….and a good beat um up dd, tmnt).

Didn't you beat Ninja Gaiden III on one life during the contests? I've only finished it once and never went back to it. NG3 and Battletoads both gave me so much trouble that I was good with finishing them once and being done.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

Yup. there really is only 15-20 that will regularly play. We lose players that retire cause life, we lose players that get bored whoooing out asses all the time, we lose players that play for an entire season and don’t come back….. I always thought I’d be playing in these regularly until the end but I got a wife and family now. Sometimes I look past the crt setup during life and think “well shit ain’t got time to even turn it on” I just look at it, have that thought and then a child jumps on my back like a monkey and the other one crying for a bottle..the sink needs fixed.. the grass needs cut, homework needs done, run a bath, take out the trash…..lol. I miss being able to play but I love having my little family. I got tear’d up at dinner the other night. We were all at the table and we were just with each other for 15-20 minutes. ❤️👨‍👩‍👧‍👦

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Didn't you beat Ninja Gaiden III on one life during the contests? I've only finished it once and never went back to it.

I couldn’t pull it off during the week of the contest (wampson did) I came in 5th out of 5 I think. I had never played it before. I did play it the next week until I no deathed it. And now it’s one of my favorite games/franchise.

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

I couldn’t pull it off during the week of the contest (wampson did) I came in 5th out of 5 I think. I had never played it before. I did play it the next week until I no deathed it. And now it’s one of my favorite games/franchise.

I can roll through the first game on 1 life no problem and I can 1cc the second one, but NG3 gives me all kinds of trouble for some reason.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Yup. there really is only 15-20 that will regularly play. We lose players that retire cause life, we lose players that get bored whoooing out asses all the time, we lose players that play for an entire season and don’t come back….. I always thought I’d be playing in these regularly until the end but I got a wife and family now. Sometimes I look past the crt setup during life and think “well shit ain’t got time to even turn it on” I just look at it, have that thought and then a child jumps on my back like a monkey and the other one crying for a bottle..the sink needs fixed.. the grass needs cut, homework needs done, run a bath, take out the trash…..lol. I miss being able to play but I love having my little family. I got tear’d up at dinner the other night. We were all at the table and we were just with each other for 15-20 minutes. ❤️👨‍👩‍👧‍👦

I figured I'd always be a hardcore gamer, but I just don't have the time or the energy anymore. I might pick up a controller for an hour once or twice a week, but that's about all I can manage nowadays.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I can roll through the first game on 1 life no problem and I can 1cc the second one, but NG3 gives me all kinds of trouble for some reason.

It’s always interesting to see that we are all very good at nes games and at the same time some games give us trouble. Lol because imo ng3 is the easier of the three. I think NG is the toughest for me then ng2 and ng3 being the easiest.

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

It’s always interesting to see that we are all very good at nes games and at the same time some games give us trouble. Lol because imo ng3 is the easier of the three. I think NG is the toughest for me then ng2 and ng3 being the easiest.

That is always interesting. Sometimes you'll see somebody that can't beat Super Mario Bros, but they can clear Battletoads on one life.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@mbd39 is another example. This guy is good at Teris, a marble madness wizard and great at beat um up…..but you put this guy in a spaceship and he will crash and burn before he can get off the launch pad lol

That sounds like me and puzzle games. I'm pretty good at everything else, but I have a tough time getting a participation score on a lot of the puzzle contests.