IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tetris!

BeaIank

20 hours ago, mbd39 said:

No matter how much I practice, I can't react fast enough for 19 speed. It's so tough at that speed to maintain a stack and get pieces over. but I can just about manage 18 speed.

I have trouble with level 18 if I get the pieces built up past the middle of the screen. I tried practicing on 19 and it's just way too fast.

Member · Posted
46 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I have trouble with level 18 if I get the pieces built up past the middle of the screen. I tried practicing on 19 and it's just way too fast.

There's a strange mechanic to moving the pieces fast enough. Lots of video guides out there, but let me try to share the basics to avoid getting too complicated. It's kinda illogical so it might take reading through a couple of times 😅

Basically you want to never tap in a direction (left/right) to move the pieces. You either keep the button held between one piece to the next, or change the held direction during the short delay between two pieces.

When you do let go of a direction while the piece is moving (because you want it in a location that's not towards the left or right side, so that's obviously quite frequent), don't touch any direction again until aforementioned delay before the next piece appears.
The exception here is that you can start holding a direction again if doing so pushes the current piece against the playfield walls, or the side of the stack (so you're pushing against a direction you can't actually move), getting ready for the next piece. This is called a "wall charge"

The reason for all this is that if you start moving a piece by holding the button while it's mid-air, it will only move one column and then delay a while (a far too long while for a high level 18 stack) before it continues moving, and that charge delay carries through from one piece to the next.

This of course also means that you can't do quick single-column adjustments on a piece while it's mid-air, which is why well timed "skill-stopping" is an important skill in NES Tetris. So when you do mess up and have to do an adjustment anyway (happens all the time to me tbh), try to recover by doing a wall charge.

I realise this sounds very hard to control, and it's exactly why level 19 is super difficult to play. On level 18 however you can generally get away with a lot more leeway, and as long as you just stick to doing wall charges on the current piece whenever you want the next one to go all the way to the wall, it's typically good enough. 🙂

Edited by Sumez

Member · Posted
23 minutes ago, Sumez said:

There's a strange mechanic to moving the pieces fast enough. Lots of video guides out there, but let me try to share the basics to avoid getting too complicated. It's kinda illogical so it might take reading through a couple of times 😅

Level 19 is so finicky when it comes to getting  pieces over. Like even when I manage to be Tetris ready, I often can't get the long piece over anyway because my stack isn't perfect and a bit too high on the right.

Member · Posted

Yeah on level 19 you really don't want to stack over the absolute minimum for a Tetris. Honestly, if you play from level 18 to 19, and aren't going for a maxout, just focus on pure survival after reaching 19. The speed won't increase for another 10 levels.

Member · Posted
29 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Yeah on level 19 you really don't want to stack over the absolute minimum for a Tetris. Honestly, if you play from level 18 to 19, and aren't going for a maxout, just focus on pure survival after reaching 19. The speed won't increase for another 10 levels.

I'm still super impressed by DAS players who can maintain a normal stack and get tetrises at 19 speed and not just line out. Even lining out is hard.

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

Basically you want to never tap in a direction (left/right) to move the pieces. You either keep the button held between one piece to the next, or change the held direction during the short delay between two pieces.

When you do let go of a direction while the piece is moving (because you want it in a location that's not towards the left or right side, so that's obviously quite frequent), don't touch any direction again until aforementioned delay before the next piece appears.
The exception here is that you can start holding a direction again if doing so pushes the current piece against the playfield walls, or the side of the stack (so you're pushing against a direction you can't actually move), getting ready for the next piece. This is called a "wall charge"

The reason for all this is that if you start moving a piece by holding the button while it's mid-air, it will only move one column and then delay a while (a far too long while for a high level 18 stack) before it continues moving, and that charge delay carries through from one piece to the next.

This of course also means that you can't do quick single-column adjustments on a piece while it's mid-air, which is why well timed "skill-stopping" is an important skill in NES Tetris. So when you do mess up and have to do an adjustment anyway (happens all the time to me tbh), try to recover by doing a wall charge.

I realise this sounds very hard to control, and it's exactly why level 19 is super difficult to play. On level 18 however you can generally get away with a lot more leeway, and as long as you just stick to doing wall charges on the current piece whenever you want the next one to go all the way to the wall, it's typically good enough. 🙂

My reflexes have definitely dropped off somewhat over the last two years. I'm not sure if it's old age, multiple concussions or both, but I've lost a step since I've noticed it on other games as well.

Member · Posted
1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

My reflexes have definitely dropped off somewhat over the last two years. I'm not sure if it's old age, multiple concussions or both, but I've lost a step since I've noticed it on other games as well.

Sometimes a concussion wins the day!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PII said:

@Bearcat-Doug What did you do that resulted in multiple concussions?

...If you don't mind me enquiring, that is...

I got a couple from doing MMA training years ago. I've also been in my share of car accidents. It kinda makes me understand why @Gloves doesn't drive.

Member · Posted
21 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I got a couple from doing MMA training years ago. I've also been in my share of car accidents. It kinda makes me understand why @Gloves doesn't drive.

That's too bad about the concussions.  I know how much it sucks to get injured doing what you love doing.  I am a fan of the martial arts most definitely, but the more I see people injured (in any way shape or form) the more clear it becomes to me that human beings really weren't designed to beat each other over the head repeatedly...

..As far as driving goes, I think it would be nearly as safe as flying if everyone learned to do it properly, stopped being in a gosh damn hurry to get everywhere all the time and had healthy ways to exorcise all that overflowing youthful energy we all have when we're young...

Member · Posted
On 10/2/2022 at 2:03 PM, mbd39 said:

IwDVt41.jpg

That's one hell of a score you're workin' on there!  My favorite part of this pic. though are those two piddly three-hundy scores underneath. 😉 

Is it true that M.B.D. stands for Mega-Block-Docker?

• Like 1

Member · Posted

I suppose its linked to the subjective perception that comes with attempting to establish order in the face of rampant chaos, but:

It's striking sometimes how often a random program can seem to give you the same piece 4 or 5 times in a row and nothing short of amazing how down right common it is for it to deny you 1 of the 4 potential pieces needed to resolve the problem that comes with too much height.

Member · Posted
1 minute ago, PII said:

I suppose its linked to the subjective perception that comes with attempting to establish order in the face of rampant chaos, but:

It's striking sometimes how often a random program can seem to give you the same piece 4 or 5 times in a row and nothing short of amazing how down right common it is for it to deny you 1 of the 4 potential pieces needed to resolve the problem that comes with too much height.

This is why you're supposed to build your stack with a double wide well (although obviously still single wide in the lower part of the stack so you can still make tetrises). The double wide lets you dispose of garbage pieces and burn down the stack easier.

Granted I usually fail to do this myself but I should do it.

• Like 1

Member · Posted
On 10/5/2022 at 7:53 PM, mbd39 said:

This is why you're supposed to build your stack with a double wide well (although obviously still single wide in the lower part of the stack so you can still make tetrises). The double wide lets you dispose of garbage pieces and burn down the stack easier.

Granted I usually fail to do this myself but I should do it.

If this is what you're referring to, it's also what I was referring to.  Otherwise I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Edited by PII

• The topic was unpinned