IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tetris!

BeaIank

16 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I've been a one way flipper since 1989, and that probably explains, at least partly, why I'm not terribly good at Tetris...

What,.....is going on here?  I feel like I've woken up in the twilight zone...

I was a one way flipper whenever it was that I started half a life time ago and then I realized that the pieces can be rotated both ways a short time later...

2 hours ago, PII said:

What,.....is going on here?  I feel like I've woken up in the twilight zone...

I was a one way flipper whenever it was that I started half a life time ago and then I realized that the pieces can be rotated both ways a short time later...

The square doesn't need to be rotated and the line block only has two positions, so it doesn't care what button you press, and the Z pieces also only have two positions, so really the L blocks are the only ones that matter, and 50% of the time the one button I use is the one I need to begin with.  Sooooo, long story short, there is literally only one circumstance where it hurts me, and that's when I want to place an L block the opposite way, which means I have to press the button 3 times instead of once.  Yes, this is a crazy rationalization for doing something stupid, but I'm too damn old to change my ways... 😛

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The square doesn't need to be rotated and the line block only has two positions, so it doesn't care what button you press, and the Z pieces also only have two positions, so really the L blocks are the only ones that matter, and 50% of the time the one button I use is the one I need to begin with.  Sooooo, long story short, there is literally only one circumstance where it hurts me, and that's when I want to place an L block the opposite way, which means I have to press the button 3 times instead of once.  Yes, this is a crazy rationalization for doing something stupid, but I'm too damn old to change my ways... 😛

The L and J blocks were precisely the 2 reasons why I remember deciding that I needed to be able to rotate both ways.  They were so much trouble when I was first learning.  Also though, you forgot about the T piece.  Rotating both ways helps with that one as well..

Well, the T piece as well. 

4 hours ago, PII said:

It's striking sometimes how often a random program can seem to give you the same piece 4 or 5 times in a row

- especially considering NES Tetris has built in protection against repeated piece types. So any time you're getting the same piece twice in a row, that means the RNG has already picked it three times in a row! And three of the same? You do the math 😛

• Wow! 1

10 hours ago, PII said:

@RH ¡YOU CAN DO IT!

Maybe try level 15 for a while first?

That was legit my first attempt.  I wouldn't have posted it but I was amused that I some how got only 1 point!  I grew up playing Tetris 100% on the GB so I'm not that familiar with this copy of the game. If I want to play Tetris, it's always for the Game Boy.

Anyway, I know you can get a few points for dropping blocks but I just assumed they'd scale with levels.  I guess not.  Anyway, my real best so far has been around +5,000 and I think that was from getting 2x lines (but maybe 3x).  That was tough and felt like a lot of luck.

I'm not sure if I can get a participation score but I'll try.  If I do, I'll be done with it.  As fun as Tetris can be, I just like that green monochrome screen.  That is Tetris to me.

28 minutes ago, RH said:

Anyway, I know you can get a few points for dropping blocks but I just assumed they'd scale with levels.  I guess not.  Anyway, my real best so far has been around +5,000 and I think that was from getting 2x lines (but maybe 3x).  That was tough and felt like a lot of luck.

"Pushdown points" are what you can get for each block, and it's something like 1 point for reach row that you're holding the down button to accelerate the piece - it's practically absolutely nothing, and I'd never recommend doing that for points.

Essentially the only points in NES Tetris that matter are the ones you get from a Tetris (four lines at once). Getting one Tetris is several times better than getting two doubles, or a single and a triple. A Tetris is even worth twice as much as two triples, so ideally any line clear that's not a Tetris shouldn't be more than a single line, to avoid wasting clears (since every line cleared moves you closer towards a tougher level that'll be harder to score on) 😄 

Here's a really good and very short and simple guide to the most fundamental Tetris basics:
https://www.ryanheise.com/tetris/tetris_stacking.html
I think just reading it alone should make any beginner a better Tetris player

A few more details in this guide here - upstacking and downstacking are of course important, and I recommend reading on skimming too, but sliding isn't particularly useful for the NES version:
https://www.tetrisconcept.com/p/start.html

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The game gave me an ending screen with a rocket ship that was so unbelievably small that I feel like I was legit being trolled...

Yeah, that little toy pop rocket is legendary lol.  Sometimes I feel like the program enjoys denying me an I piece while throwing all you can eat everything else at me for like a minute straight.  😄 

Your "WOW" made me 😄 real good!

Edited by PII

On 10/6/2022 at 8:08 AM, Jeevan said:

Just gonna leave this right here for you all 😘

That hyper-tapping is seriously wild.

Trying to figure out how to respond:

A) Take That A.I. !!!

B) Wait A Minute, Is He A Robot?

C) Finally Know What I Wanna Be When I Grow Up

D) That Glove Should Be Studded With Rhinestones ( It's easy to imagine him holding it out Alice Cooper style ie. Wayne's World )

The best part was just before 30:00 he does this so fast he actually supersedes the laws of physics and transforms himself into color bars.

Reminds me of this:

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, PII said:

That hyper-tapping is seriously wild.

Trying to figure out how to respond:

A) Take That A.I. !!!

B) Wait A Minute, Is He A Robot?

C) Finally Know What I Wanna Be When I Grow Up

D) That Glove Should Be Studded With Rhinestones ( It's easy to imagine him holding it out Alice Cooper style ie. Wayne's World )

The best part was just before 30:00 he does this so fast he actually supersedes the laws of physics and transforms himself into color bars.

Reminds me of this:

he is actually "rolling" and not hyper tapping 😉  Its the latest and greatest method of madness from these guys.

I don't transition all that often, but when I do, I need to force myself to just go for lines. Maybe two or three line clear at most. Trying to stack much just ends in disaster. And I need to not be so nervous which results in misdrops.

I also need to make sure that the stack is very low and completely clean by transition.

Edited by mbd39

39 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Damn this is hard... I've done at least 20 runs already and I still havent broken 30K

Yeah. Level 18 starts are gonna be super hard if you're not already a Tetris junkie.

You can try playing on 19 for awhile to warm up.

8 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah. Level 18 starts are gonna be super hard if you're not already a Tetris junkie.

You can try playing on 19 for awhile to warm up.

That's a good tip that I considered doing at the outset, but I might have already used up all my gas getting this score.  I wanted to beat Dr Morbis and conceptually it doesnt seem difficult to get three Tetrises but it just is, and it hurts my head