IGNORED

Covers/remakes of songs that completely blow the original main hit away

Estil

Okay so we all know how sometimes different artists will do remakes/cover versions of songs right?  Well for this topic we'll spotlight remakes/cover versions of major hits that are WAY better than the original (the ground rule being that the original song must've been a major hit).  I'll give you a few to get started:

Now this one is gonna be a controversial one but I honestly do like Whitney's power ballad take:

C'mon, who better to sing Along Came Jones than...well, Jones? 😄 

Edited by Estil

Administrator · Posted

The Gerard Way cover of Happy Together improves on the original without really changing it in any drastic way, mostly just bumping it up a notch:

Apparently it was made for a Netflix show I've not seen, but it's my favorite version now of one of my favorite songs.

• Like 1

This is an odd story about covers - which were surprisingly common in the fifties and early sixties.

"The Man in the Raincoat" was originally released by Priscilla Wright in 1955 - somewhat unusual in that she was just 14 at the time.

There were four covers released in 1955 - at least one of which charted as well as the original.  (This was an era when releases were mostly on 45s since LPs were just hitting the market.)

Not exactly the usual ground rules as these are classic 19th century American folk songs but I gotta bend the rules a bit and include them...

As for our state anthem (and I think UK is the only college basketball team that has a distinctive closing/"flag lowering"/after game song) nobody did it better than Happy...

Edited by Estil

11 hours ago, Estil said:

I don't know if NIN even bothered doing this song themselves or if it made the charts if it did but this certainly deserves an honorable mention!

I think they released Hurt right after Closer (the monster hit from that album).

And my contribution to the discussion:

The fact that most Abba songs work great as metal covers is a testament to how much musical talent Benny and Bjorn have.

• Agree 1