IGNORED

Covers/remakes of songs that completely blow the original main hit away

Estil

7 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I don’t know how many of these were hits originally, though Im sure Sympathy for the Devil was, I just think GNR does every cover song better then the original. Metallica is close second with that

I was going to say that Garage Inc is awesome, especially the cover of Turn the Page, but you beat me to it.

26 minutes ago, Aguy said:

Although it was written by Jagger and Richards the Stone's version was actually a cover. They let The Flying Burrito Brothers record it first (the leader of the Burrito Brothers (Gram Parsons) was a very close friend of Jagger's).

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

For me, the list is exceedingly short as I give a ton of credit to the original artist and producer for truly shaping the sound of the song. It's only when another artist finds something truly new and unique that I would consider them having bested the original.

Songs That are Better than the Original:

• Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower (original Bob Dylan)
  • Joe Cocker - With a Little Help From My Friends (original The Beatles)
  • Johnny Cash - Hurt (original by Nine Inch Nails)
  • Talking Heads - Take Me to the River (original by Al Green)
  • Jolene - White Stripes (original by Dolly Parton)
  • Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby McGee (original by Kris Kristofferson)
  • Soft Cell - Tainted Love (original by Gloria Jones)

Songs That Aren't Better, but are Still Great:

• As mentioned several times above, Metallica's Garage Inc has a bunch of great covers, although I can't speak to whether they are better than the originals. The same can be said for Guns N' Roses.
  • Meg Myers does a great cover of Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill that's worth checking out if you got caught up in the Stranger Things excitement. Not better than the original per se, but a very good attempt.
  • Pearl Jam's cover of Last Kiss by Wayne Cochran/J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers is pretty damn good.
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers' cover of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground just about surpasses the original.
  • Alien Ant Farm's Smooth Criminal is a fun take on a classic.
  • Muse has a really great cover of Feeling Good, originally by Nina Simone.
  • The Beatles' Twist and Shout with McCartney's absolutely shredded voice is a classic as well.
  • Who can forget Limp Bizkit's legit cover of Faith by George Michael. Probably one of the best things they did as a band.

There are many, many more great covers, but this is a good start in terms of what I enjoy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Songs That are Better than the Original:

• Jolene - White Stripes (original by Dolly Parton)

Songs That Aren't Better, but are Still Great:

• Red Hot Chili Peppers' cover of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground just about surpasses the original.

And I thought some of my picks were controversial...while we're on the subject of RHCP, in the famous words of Shania Twain:

So what do they think they're being sexy by not wearing shirts?   Whatever...🙄

Edited by Estil

On 9/16/2022 at 2:07 PM, docile tapeworm said:

Awesome cover of zombie

If this is her honest to goodness for real singing (not some fake lip syncing or autotuning crap) then...and I can't believe I'm saying this...I'm honestly impressed!

I just hope she's now past that freak show phase *shudders*

• 3 weeks later...

This is actually what's known as an "answer song" that I just found that I thought was really cute/clever:

This is probably credited with being the first major hit answer song in country (which I seem to be about the only one here into classic/retro country)

As for Tammy Wynette's Stand By Your Man (which can be pro or anti feminist depending on how you want to look at it) she got TWO answer songs: