IGNORED

My hope for after-death existence.

OptOut

**Trigger warning**:  I am talking about actual real end of life death here. If this can possibly upset or offend you, PLEASE do not read any further.

This is going to be a totally real thing here I'm going to say, and I HOPE no one is harmed or offended by it, but it's just the way I have felt for a long time, and I really want to hear other people's opinions on it to either challenge or inform me.

But here goes...

I do not want to experience ANY further existence or any kind of sensation or ANYTHING else that I am consciously aware of after I die.

Let me be clear. I do not want to die. I am not unhappy with my life, and I want to experience as much of life as I can while I am alive. There are a multitude of pleasures that I am aware of and can continue to enjoy while living, and by no means do I want anything to put a stop to that any time soon.

However, once I'm gone, once my body is worn out and my brain stops receiving oxygen and no longer functions, I don't want any more. I don't want to feel any more, I don't want to work any more, I don't want to wake up anymore, I don't want to think any more, I don't want to live any more.

It would be amazing to imagine that there was a heaven that my conciousness could go to, and live forever in bliss, or whatever, but sorry I don't believe that. I believe nothing.

But, on the other hand I am actually properly fearful that my conciousness WILL live on in some way after my death, perhaps even reincarnated into another painful and suffering filled existence, so I have to do all this shit over AGAIN. YAWN! Please do not do that to me, DO NOT WANT! Lame.

My worst fear is that I have to live another life as a human from birth to death, AGAIN. Fuck that, I'm so tired, please just let me rest and not have to bother waking up everyday over and over again for a million years...

I have a sneaking suspicion that this WILL fucking happen to me. I will die about 50 or 60 years from now, fat and rich and surrounded by loved ones, and then like maybe a few years later I'm gonna be a fucking baby just learning how to walk and even though I remember NOTHING of my previous life, I'm gonna FEEL every fucking second of it... I already feel that way to be honest, I'm 33 years old and I feel like I'm fucking 500, so lame...

Anyway, what do you reckon? Am I going to have to do all this shit AGAIN? Or can I just die and rest in peace and not even have to bother anymore?

**Please do not be offended** This is not a joke it is a genuine question and concern. I actually am happy living, but do NOT want to live again. What are your thoughts. Peace.

• Like 3

It irks me that one would need to place a "trigger warning" in front of topics. History, hell LIFE, is full of moments of intense suffering. Shy away from it and cease to grow as a person or face it and mature. 

I had a discussion like this with a co-worker for 10 years, on and off.

10. Years.

No real way to address this topic in a meaningful manner apart from face to face, in my opinion. 

But, coming from a Judeo-Christian perspective, I will say that the common post modern American perspective of the afterlife is... kind of childish (and pretty far removed) in it's understanding of the original ideas.

A VERY quick overview of what the afterlife would include: Freedom from time, suffering, boredom, frailty and limited understanding. 

Kid just woke up. Off we go.

• Like 1

I prefer to operate under the impression that life has more meaning than just being a test to see what happens to you after you die. I'd rather enjoy my time here and worry about the rest later. If there is something afterwards I would like to think I was a good enough person when I was alive that I don't have to worry about it.

• Like 1

Pretty heavy topic for a Saturday night...

I've never really believed in being reborn or reincarnation or anything like that. I feel like when you die you return to the earth. It's kind of beautiful in that way... you might be dead, but the particles that compose you will go on to be part of the earth/future life. In that manner you continue living, but /you/ aren't you anymore.

I don't believe in an afterlife but no one really knows I guess. It sounds like a lot of wishful thinking to me, but if it brings people comfort and gives them purpose then that's great. I honestly don't spend much time thinking about it because it doesn't seem to ultimately affect anything. Afterlife or not, the choices we make have a much greater effect on the living/future generations.

Some of my recent research has been on the origins of life, and you know, it's all quite amazing and fascinating! But, as others have pointed out, once you're dead that will be it. Once your heart stops there is some brain activity, but no oxygen so you won't "feel" anything. Also, and I'm speaking from a science perspective, NO reincarnation or anything like that. Your molecules will get recycled, but your consciousness will be gone. It will feel, like before you were born, which is to say nothing. Is that good or bad? Well, don't know. Death is frightening, because there's nothing afterwards for us to experience. But, no pain either. Make a good contribution to the world in some way, enjoy life, play games, rescue cats - my attitude 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 11:20 AM, Gloves said:

I like the thought of The Egg by Andy Weir. Not to say I believe in it strictly speaking but it's a nice thought. 

Good God! Please no, NO! All of the lives? EVERY life? Please, I would do anything necessary, anything in my power, anything BEYOND my power to get out of that! Too much work, too much pain, argh!

Great, thanks Gloves, now I've got a whole other nightmare scenario in my head to worry about when I die! 😖😭

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Good God! Please no, NO! All of the lives? EVERY life? Please, I would do anything necessary, anything in my power, anything BEYOND my power to get out of that! Too much work, too much pain, argh!

Great, thanks Gloves, now I've got a whole other nightmare scenario in my head to worry about when I die! 😖😭

It's at the least a good thought exercise I think, and certainly encourages being good to those around you in general, even to the selfish among us - each and every interaction you have in your entire life will be relived by you from the other side. It gives a whole new meaning to the whole "do unto others" saying. 🙂

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Here's the top afterlife question I have more than all the others put together.  How can someone in heaven be happy if they have loved ones in hell?

Oooooooooooh! Not heard that one before! That's a real good one!

I guess they would like finally realise their loved one was just an asshole who deserves to be damned? Or maybe God's loving embrace would blot out all those nasty thoughts and selfish impulses such as "caring about loved ones"...

Good question!

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Here's the top afterlife question I have more than all the others put together.  How can someone in heaven be happy if they have loved ones in hell?

I've actually thought about that one before. Supposedly heaven is a place where you are surrounded by everyone that made you happy, so I guess I can really throw a curveball out there. Is it possible for the version of the loved one you knew to exist in heaven with you while the person's actual soul is in hell at the same time?

Maybe evolution has given us the ability to transcend the body once it is not capable to anymore. People should look up DMT the spirit molecule there is alot more to life than this reality and the universe. When you think about it the universe is illogical.

Edited by MisterGoomba