IGNORED

My hope for after-death existence.

OptOut

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Oooooooooooh! Not heard that one before! That's a real good one!

I guess they would like finally realise their loved one was just an asshole who deserves to be damned? Or maybe God's loving embrace would blot out all those nasty thoughts and selfish impulses such as "caring about loved ones"...

Good question!

Ah but that's not the way it works exactly.  According to most every Christian religion/denomination, one of the if not THE main beliefs is that one must be a Christian in good standing upon death...or else they are damned for eternity.  I just cannot go along with such a cruel God who would just fry people for eternity just because they didn't believe a certain way.  And suppose I did get to heaven, what about all the loved ones and such who were sweet kind people....but nevertheless are burning for not believing a certain way?  I mean, how could I not feel sorry for and terrible for them?  I mean one of the other basic Christian beliefs is to follow the example of the Good Samaritan (who helped someone of a hated rival nation get back on their feet after a priest and a Levite (a politician of sorts in those days) walked right by him) and help people and be kind to people even and especially if they're not exactly like yourself or your own country/views/beliefs/whatever.  So in the afterlife, all of a sudden, are we supposed to be like Ivan Drago and have the attitude like, "If they burn, they burn"? 😞

This is why I'm not at all comfortable with not just organized religion but any sort of organization/group/whatever that expects you to just play along with their platform.  I mean c'mon, I'm just a regular guy in a regular apartment in a regular community with a (to hear Cat Forum talk!) regular cat; I mean does what I think/believe make much of a difference at all in the grand scheme of things?  In any event, I have to be my own individual; I have to be able to think for myself and draw my own conclusions about things; no strings attached.  Given we live in this modern day and age of instant access to all this knowledge and such and knowing there are so many different beliefs and such; I just can't get behind any sort of notion that any one way is the only right way and all the others are evil/false/whatever.