IGNORED

Content Creators (Twitch/YouTube)

FireHazard51

Are you a "Content Creator" (Streamer/YouTuber)  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of content creator are you?

• Steamer (Twitch/YouTube/Facebook/etc.)
    • YouTuber (videos, not streams)
    • None but I'm interested in being a content creator
    • None, and never want to either

Social Team · Posted

I'm starting to get back into content creating (stopped about 10 years ago) with my video game hobby and was looking to see who else here does content creation videos like on Twitch and/or YouTube.  Something that we've seemed to not touch too much on the forums here.   Would anyone be interested in maybe making a club to share knowledge.  I've only scratched the surface on this but there is just an overwhelming amount of information it seems like.  

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

What's a YouTuber? How do you YouTube something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTuber

I'm not trying to be an ass here.  But this isn't a term that Fire just made up.  Whether it makes sense or not grammatically, this is a very common term that a lot of people know and understand to mean "people who make / share videos on youtube."

1 minute ago, spacepup said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTuber

I'm not trying to be an ass here.  But this isn't a term that Fire just made up.  Whether it makes sense or not grammatically, this is a very common term that a lot of people know and understand to mean "people who make / share videos on youtube."

Oh cool, I get it.

I'm a computerer.

Editorials Team · Posted

I strongly prefer the term YouTuber over "content creator" or the extremely pretentious "influencer." It doesn't make any assumptions at all about what the person accomplishes with their YouTube videos, (that they've created anything that can be called "content" or that they have any influence at all over anything at all ever) they're just a YouTuber. That much is certain.

If the person prefers to be called an influencer, then I call them a YouTuber even harder. It's unbelievably vain and self-aggrandizing.

To answer the question, I started a YouTube channel years ago to show some of my Game Boy soldering and modding projects. The videos were intentionally slow because I didn't like how non-noob-friendly most modding channels were at the time. Now, I look at those videos and I can't believe how boring they are. So boring. So yeah, someday I'd like to return to it and revamp the feel of the channel to be more gooder. Finding strangers link to my stuff in other parts of the internet is a neat feeling.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Splain said:

I strongly prefer the term YouTuber over "content creator"

I'm in the opposite boat, I find the term "YouTuber" obnoxious and annoying, applying much more dedicated culture to YouTube as a platform than it deserves. It's just a place people can upload videos, it's not a society - and besides, who doesn't have a YouTube account?
"Content creator" might sound more serious than it needs to be, but at least it's platform agnostic.

Edited by Sumez
  • Disagree 1

Youtube gaming content peaked in 2011-12 and its only been downhill from there. Now its all about posting the biggest reseller pickups MOST EXPENSIVE R@RE GAMES and reading wiki articles to come across as a historian, all chasing money. Youtube itself has also been making one terrible decision after the other. Its fine to see it as a hobby. There used to be a real gaming community back then, it was awesome.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

While not as bad as it is now, to me YouTube started to go downhill in 2009. That's when Google changed the Channel's and made it clear that they very rarely listen to anyone. I remember a video was posted showing off the new Channel's and features, and nearly everyone disliked the changes. What bothered me even more that year was the fact that many of my earliest videos from 2006/early 2007 were suddenly turned into basically nothing; just blank screens with audio. My viewers complained about that. My earliest videos were stored on a Computer that I didn't have anymore (and I didn't have any Memory Cards or External Hard Drives at the time), so I had to remake some videos. I was able to save some of the early videos that were originally on my Channel separately by recording them with HyperCam before Google turned them into blank screens, and then combining them in this video compilation: 

Unfortunately, some of my videos were lost. In 2007, I had a video of the Tournament mode in Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES version), a second part to my "Donkey Kong Land....on NES" video that showed the last two levels, and a video of Super Mario Bros. 3 showing some unused mini-games (with a Koopa Troopa and Hammer Brother as "hosts"). And in 2008, I had a video of Ultimate Air Combat. Those videos were simple gameplay videos and nothing special, but people liked them and they got lots of comments and four and five star ratings (remember when YouTube had those?). Thinking of the Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters video I made in 2007, I made a new video of that game last year (which was recorded from a real NES instead of an Emulator).

Then there was that Google+ nonsense that they forced people to link their Channels to if people wanted to continue uploading videos. I linked my Channel to Google+ only for that reason; I had no interest in actually using Google+.

Unfortunately Google+ was the final straw for some people, including one of my favorite YouTube users: Blaziken257, who quit and hasn't uploaded a video since 2013. Most of my other favorite YouTube users (who have been on YouTube as long or almost as long as I have) have also moved on, like ericmansuper, fecman94 (a.k.a. khaotix64), Tailz64, and yearofthe (a.k.a. SpyrosKingdom). They all made good videos, proving that smaller Channels can have good content too and shouldn't be overlooked (and they weren't overlooked in the early days of YouTube). I find ericmansuper's Simpsons Bartman Meets Radioactiveman video (which was uploaded in early 2007) to be more enjoyable than James Rolfe's.

It got worse in 2016 or so, with all the ads that appear before a video starts and even some that play during a video. It was so bad, I had to install an Adblocker (no way I was going to pay for YouTube Premium or whatever). Something else I also noticed in 2016 was that my views were suddenly going down (I got a lot more during my first nine years), and I was more likely by that point to get spam comments instead of real comments. People that posted real comments seemed more negative and picky than before. Some of my friends wanted me to monetize my videos, but I wasn't interested. It was always a hobby; I never wanted money for being a "YouTuber" nor was I expecting each of my videos to get millions of views. However, it is a bit disappointing that, even with almost 9,000 subscribers, my videos went from getting several thousand views during my first nine years on YouTube to getting a hundred or two hundred last year. Especially since my more recent videos from 2014-2021 were far more stressful and time-consuming to make than any videos I made in 2006 (99% of my videos were made by myself).

image.png.8cad3838fd503f88fd60cf384968e013.png

image.png.28a5d3742999a115db91ce4342caeb18.png

I retired last year after a total of 15 years. YouTube is barely the same website now. It's basically all about money, ads, and celebrities now. I feel sorry for people with small Channels who are new to YouTube and are basically ignored or unnoticed. 

Oh, and after I retired, I noticed Google started hiding video dislikes last year. I'm impressed. I didn't think YouTube could get any worse, but that's probably the dumbest thing they've done (though not the most annoying thing they've done).

I was hoping that my nearly two decades of experience making videos would be enough to get a video editing/videographer job, but I've yet to get any interviews for that kind of job. Maybe someday. Maybe.

I still make videos. It's a hobby I've enjoyed doing for almost two decades. I occasionally post new videos on Twitter and Instagram.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

I found it tough to keep consistency, especially if you play a wide variety of games or anything that's not new/popular. I used to post back in the early-mid Wii U days but gaming commentary videos were already dead in the water by that point, so it was short lived.

It would be tough to break through these days and I doubt I would want to 'play the game' to get views with click-bait titles, targeting your videos at 5-12 yr old kids, and brown-nosing all other creators.

As Reed said, you pretty much have to do it for yourself and just hope you find some kind of audience to keep you motivated. 

Edited by Andy_Bogomil

On 7/25/2022 at 9:51 PM, Code Monkey said:

Oh cool, I get it.

I'm a computerer.

Not trying to be an ass here, but wanted to make sure you know what a computer is before you classify yourself as one. Or maybe I am completely wrong here and you actually meant computerer, in that case I have no idea what that is.

What is a Computer? (computerhope.com)

20 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Just gotta do it for the love of the game, without worrying about metrics.

I figure if x number of people enjoy my stuff, it's a bonus.  Because I selfishly did it for myself 😅

I guess I'm a "YouTuber" but its for something thats not video games.  Its guitar stuff.  BUT, I would never call myself a content creator or YouTuber, because I don't scheme every day to think of stuff to post.  I post every few months a lesson on something I think is cool or interesting.  I think of content creators where they have no jobs and have to post every day to keep relevant and current. 

I thought what Reed said here was funny because I was interviewed by someone who cares so much about those metrics.   Click baity pictures, "react" videos (even though they arent), where I don't and been doing it for less and I have more subscribers than him haha.  I told him I couldn't care less about following trends, or understanding the algorithm, or using clickbait pics, with the red arrows, or surprised faced crap.  In fact I never once even told my viewers to "like, subscribe" or anything.  I don't pander, I just put out the stuff I think needs to be out there and whatever happens happens.

Edited by guitarzombie

I did a podcast with a friend for a year or so and participated here and there in various related YouTube videos or Twitch streams that he'd set up, as I was able.  It was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work, at least in trying to work it around a full time job, infants, family life, etc.

In retrospect, I clearly didn't take it as seriously as my friend did, who kind of brought everything together and off the ground at least in part by force of will alone.  I was still very customer facing in my job at the time, and the weekend was my sole opportunity to truly decompress, so I was bad about not always being up and ready to go at 7-8AM Saturday morning to record the podcast.  This apparently irked my friend to no end, as he would have his wife take and keep his infant/toddler into another part of the house where they couldn't be heard until we were 100% finished recording, something I never knew until well after we'd stopped doing the podcast.

My friend tried really hard to work the algorithm at the time, putting up at least a video a week, doing weekly streams (right after podcast recording), etc., to try to build a brand and recognition.  Toward the end, he even had branded wrist bands and such made up and would regularly give them away to viewers/listeners, although it was usually the same small circle of folks who frequently interacted with us anyway.  He even did Child's Play a couple of years, with an at-the-time ridiculous number of giveaways, but none of it really caught traction.  In retrospect, I think this was primarily due to the fact that we were focused on Skylanders specifically, and this was at the time of the birth of Ryan and a couple of other now extraordinarily well known and child pandering YouTubers, and the family friendly but accessible to anyone content we  were doing just couldn't compete.

At this point, I'd say that anyone thinking of doing any sort of online content should do so because it brings them joy versus any sort of financial motivation or dreams of stardom.  While there are new online personalities "born" every year, it's getting harder and harder for anyone to break through, and nearly all folks who just don't happen to have the particular "it" factor of that given moment will just be spinning their wheels in the sand forever, regardless of how fantastic their production values and content are.

• Agree 1

Social Team · Posted

As someone who made pick-up videos and in a small community with other pick-up videos it was really cool.  The other day I was looking at one with my partner and she wanted me to read off the comments (video was playing on the TV) and she was laughing at the quality and awkward parts I had.  There were like 10 comments and ALL of them were supportive.  Like I said, the community was small and supportive which kept me going till I stop collecting because of the time and cost.

Honestly I never put much thoughts into the "metrics" because I'm not trying to make YouTube a career/gig.  It's a hobby that I want to share with others.  But at the same time I want to not be shitty with my hobby and improve my skill in it.  That's not the same thing as "doing what get's clicks".  My hobby isn't getting views.  My hobby is making videos on stuff I like/enjoy and wanting to share that with others.  Which is probably the case with almost every hobby, you want to share it with others.

"Content Creator" is like calling someone an "artist".  Some people create art but don't like being called an artist.  I get it, I just hope everyone understands that titles are titles.  It's how someone acts that lets you figure out if they are a cool person or an ass so don't look down on others based on what title they use.  I personally think all YouTube videos are "content" and just like art, there is amazing things and shit things.  And there are going to be people who call something amazing while others call it shit.  It's call taste, and it will differ with a lot of people.  I've made shitty videos before and people liked them for some reason.  I hope to make shitty, yet less shitty, videos in the future and hope some people like those as well.

I have uploaded almost nothing to YouTube, just random videos I wanted to share with my friends pretty much, and I've streamed on Twitch a total of probably 5 times for a grand total of less than 5 viewers, if I had to guess.

I would like to do it but, as others have said, it's an absurdly oversaturated market and impossible to get a real audience. I wouldn't even want to do it for a career or for money, but just to show off games I enjoy, try things other people recommend, talk to people about nostalgia etc. but none of that is really possible without viewers, which are basically impossible to get in such a competitive space.

If I won the lottery and no longer had to work, I would certainly try my hand at streaming retro games on Twitch, even if only 0-2 people showed up. It's hard to justify doing that routinely in the only free time I get every day though since it seems consistency is key.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
19 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I would like to do it but, as others have said, it's an absurdly oversaturated market and impossible to get a real audience. I wouldn't even want to do it for a career or for money, but just to show off games I enjoy, try things other people recommend, talk to people about nostalgia etc. but none of that is really possible without viewers, which are basically impossible to get in such a competitive space.

If I won the lottery and no longer had to work, I would certainly try my hand at streaming retro games on Twitch, even if only 0-2 people showed up. It's hard to justify doing that routinely in the only free time I get every day though since it seems consistency is key.

Well potentially in the future VGS would look at maybe doing our own thing of like playing VGS homebrew games where we'd have people hop into the Discord voice chat for an active discussion.  In my mind if we were to do any kind of random game playing on the VGS Twitch channel we would have a co-host to keep the discussion lively and fun for at least the two streamers, regardless of the number of viewers.  

This is a rough idea I had and we are a ways away before even doing some internal testing of the idea.  I'm still a complete newb with streaming so I'm making big errors (audio issues) and learning as I ago.  Once I know how to confidently stream something I'll start looking into trying my co-host idea out.  

This poll was kinda a way to see how many actively use these "social media" sites that VGS may get involved with.  Also helps me know if there was enough interest to do a club.  Sounds like there isn't 😅  I'm not really surprised since most people who are really interested in this stuff are a bit younger and haven't had prior attempts at doing "content creation".  Our community is still small and as it grow maybe this change and we'll add some area on the site for "content creation" that isn't related to homebrews.  

On 7/26/2022 at 1:53 AM, Sumez said:

I'm in the opposite boat, I find the term "YouTuber" obnoxious and annoying, applying much more dedicated culture to YouTube as a platform than it deserves. It's just a place people can upload videos, it's not a society - and besides, who doesn't have a YouTube account?
"Content creator" might sound more serious than it needs to be, but at least it's platform agnostic.

@platformagnostic You're a Youtuber though right??