IGNORED

Defend a Game Thread

Thought it would be a fun idea to post a game you love that you know every craps on or wont even give a chance. 

This is all just a bit of fun so don't let you passions run too high ha ha. 

My first choice for this thread is,

th.jpg.5f875fef381f6cfdbcd0dcd3ec1f4cce.jpg

I was guilty of hating this one for years with out really even giving it a chance! Originally the character design really turned me off but I since grew to like them. 

It was not until recently I put it in and fell in love with it!

One big thing was no stupid Wii remote crap. I could use the Classic Controller which made it playable. 

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it and I beat it with every character. So awesome. 

I do have to admit I am somewhat of a Castlevania Fanboy but whatever!

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

If Spirit Tracks wasn't a Zelda game, it would be praised to high heaven as a hidden gem on the DS.  And it may not be the second coming of Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time, but it is absolutely a good game.

Touch controls?  They're implemented well enough.  This ain't no Scribblenauts.  "git good" as the Douglas likes to say. 

Riding around in circles on a train?  I suppose you hated the boat in Wind Waker too!  We have a million Zeldas with conventional over worlds.  Change is good.  Experimentation is refreshing.

"I don't like toon Link!  And cels and junk!"  What is this, 2004?  History has proven toon Link is a beautiful winner!

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

If Spirit Tracks wasn't a Zelda game, it would be praised to high heaven as a hidden gem on the DS.  And it may not be the second coming of Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time, but it is absolutely a good game.

Touch controls?  They're implemented well enough.  This ain't no Scribblenauts.  "git good" as the Douglas likes to say. 

Riding around in circles on a train?  I suppose you hated the boat in Wind Waker too!  We have a million Zeldas with conventional over worlds.  Change is good.  Experimentation is refreshing.

"I don't like toon Link!  And cels and junk!"  What is this, 2004?  History has proven toon Link is a beautiful winner!

I loved Spirit Tracks! I even went out of my way to get a sealed copy

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Handheld console with a feature where the game actively wants me to yell into the microphone to get past mandatory "puzzles"? Bro I play DS on the bus/train/streetcar, I ain't yelling into my DS. And I seem to recall some sort of camera-based motion control nonsense too, if memory serves. Yeah that's not creepy at all in public, having to wave my DS around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Handheld console with a feature where the game actively wants me to yell into the microphone to get past mandatory "puzzles"? Bro I play DS on the bus/train/streetcar, I ain't yelling into my DS.

I've seen worse on public transport. You'll just blend in 🙂

Editorials Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Handheld console with a feature where the game actively wants me to yell into the microphone to get past mandatory "puzzles"? Bro I play DS on the bus/train/streetcar, I ain't yelling into my DS. And I seem to recall some sort of camera-based motion control nonsense too, if memory serves. Yeah that's not creepy at all in public, having to wave my DS around.

That's another point in the game's favor:  forces Gloves to make a public demeaning spectacle of himself

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

If thinking this is timeless and beautiful is crazy, baby I don't wanna be sane. 

E1Sc5xx.jpg

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Haha 2

Nice topic!  Here's mine:

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde for the NES is a fun and challenging game with an interesting death mechanic that I have never seen before or since.  Getting to the end of the game and jumping across the roof tops as Mr. Hyde and getting the "real" ending gives you a very satsifying sense of accomplishment, and I love the fact that you play the game as literally a normal Victorian era man with no superpowers whatsoever out on a walk across town while everything in the entire universe is trying to kill you for no apparent reason!  Anyone who loves the NES owes it to himself to beat this game... for real!  😛

• Like 2

I've got an easy one that gets dumped on, but largely when I've asked people why, it's because they either rented it in the day or got it in the internet era and not with a manual.  Because of that, the game feels broken, and parts are just cut off from the user.

That game is the RARE developed PC port of the classic WWII 'sim' of Silent Service and I will swear by how damn good and versatile this game is, when you bother to play it right and understand the controls.  The game required the use of 2 controllers to effectively fully play the game as intended.

I got it back in the day, so yes some may accuse the cares for being nostalgic, but I just enjoyed what it did, and how it did it so well, and I guess maybe it was a gift as i don't recall purchasing this one.  Yet I don't feel it was something on my to-do list as a 12 year old at the time.

I said the game was versatile and required two controllers, this is quite factual, and for a NES game the variety of choices was pretty rare for the day.  Silent Service has both a multi-point difficulty selection level of challenge, but on top also has a secondary multi-point system of difficulty for what you allow/not allow during your session.  I believe you have 7 difficulties to select, but then you have to choose to have smart enemies who zig zag fleets, possible (you) dud torpedoes, and other things so it can get quite insane.  Then you have a training area to try out (no destroyers) but then you have a selection of simulated missions from real subs or you can go open warfare in the pacific as well.

The primary controller can handle turning the entire sub, firing the deck gun, forward torpedo tubes, diving and surfacing, using the various menus, maps, etc.  Yet here's where people end up hating on it, controller two...it's vital if you play off more cake levels because it allows you to use binoculars to scan the area from the conning tower while still going along a course, more vital you gain access to 1/3 of your torpedo compliment to fire from the rear tube (great for strategy or a threat when retreating), and a real game changer...you're sinking,  but you don't have to die, because controller two blows ballast which force surfaces the sub.

When you can properly completely save your ass with more weapons, ease of looking, and stopping a sinking, the game is far more fun than going out with a half crippled sub.  Try it some time, it's quite good, and the really chunky sprite scaled targets that grow in size as you near them is kind of fun for the era too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde for the NES is a fun and challenging game with an interesting death mechanic that I have never seen before or since. 

The Hyde portions are cool. The Jekyll portions can be a little ridiculous in the later stages, especially when the enemies try to bum rush you. I like the Famicom version better, as the levels are more varied and funnier.

Also, second on Silent Service. You brush up on the manual, and it's one of the better simulators on the NES.

My picks:

Tetris 2. It's not Tetris good, for sure, but it's a decent puzzle game. If it didn't have the Tetris name, it wouldn't be as maligned.

Loopz for NES isn't for everyone, but I can burn two hours on that game easily.

Spiritual Warfare is by far the best Wisdom Tree NES game, and is actually a fair adventure game.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Thanks 1

Joe and Mac Sega gets a bad rap. It's pretty hard, I think I'm only level 7 or 8, but after you get used to it, it really is a solid non-random/precision platformer. If you figure out the hit boxes, figure out the patterns, and get used to the weapons, (which are surprisingly complex, because the way the interact with boss patterns), the game is fun as you get gud.

Also, Sunset Riders Sega gets talked down on as if it is inferior to the Snes port or is too difficult. Bollocks. The game is very precise and fair. It may not be as bright and colorful as the Snes game, but the gameplay is better imo. And it's really not that hard, it's a precision run and gun, and probably top five in the genre.

Once again beating Nintendo to the bunch with Final Fantasy Adventure, Adventures of Mana was a "remake" of FFA just like Link's Awakening on the Switch is to the original GB game.

Adventures of Mana was a faithful, tile-for-tile recreation but with mobile/modern 3D tilt view of the world.  I downloaded it shortly after release, played it and LOVED the experience.

If you're a fan of the series then I highly recommend giving it a try.  It really isn't anything "new" in regards to new mechanics or bigger dungeons but it was a fun, fresh perspective on a really fun game and one of my favorite GB games of all time.

• Agree 1

If windwaker gets crapped on a bunch for all the water, then that would be one I really enjoyed. The exploration was a lot of fun and you could eventually warp to different points via a song so I never did quite understand the whole fuss of having to sail around a bunch. There’s a lot of wandering around in most zelda games, but it’s usually via land. 

another one would be the witch and hero series. I see a lot of reviews give the 3 games in the series a 20%, 40%, or 50% rating but I don’t understand it. They’re all solid games that I’d give at the very least at least 70%. Are they repetitive, sure, but they’re all still enjoyable.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:46 PM, Tulpa said:

Spiritual Warfare is by far the best Wisdom Tree NES game, and is actually a fair adventure game.

Totally agree, except for the music; the bgm is the same shitty ditty for the entire game, no matter where you are and no matter the circumstances, with the only other different tune in the game being the pause music.  Great Zelda clone for sure, but the audio is deplorable!

On 7/6/2022 at 3:39 PM, a3quit4s said:

Anyone coming in here with Zelda II can u turn right the hell outta here!

I'm a 100% Zelda 1 fan for life, but I've gotta say, when playing either game in the modern era, Zelda 1 feels really janky, to the point where I feel like it's my nostalgia goggles that makes me love it so much, while Zelda II feels supremely polished in all aspects.  All they've gotta do is make it widescreen and it's ready for the Switch as it is (I know: it's way too difficult for modern hold-my-hand gaming babies, but you know what I mean)...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 2

I know I keep bringing it up, but Star Fox Zero is one of the saddest cases of a game being reviewed poorly by "critics" who can't actually play games. Star Fox Zero is an extraordinary game, and it's easily the best game in the series so far. People tend to be very nostalgic for Star Fox 64, but once you get good at Star Fox Zero and aim for 100%, it really makes Star Fox 64 look old and quaint.

Even more impressively, I found myself frustrated when I revisited Star Fox 64 on the 3DS as there were many times I thought to myself "I should have been able to get that guy!" because Star Fox 64 is a more constrained play style than Zero.

While Star Fox Zero takes a lot of getting used to, the controls are a huge benefit to the series and moves the combat forward in a good way. I'm always urging people to give it a second chance, as it's one of Nintendo's most misunderstood games.