IGNORED

DKOldies: Are they bad for the retro gaming community?

DKOldies: Are they bad for the retro gaming community?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Is DKOldies bad for selling retro video games at high prices?

• Yes, they are taking advantage of uninformed gamers who don't know any better and are abusing platforms like TikTok to gain followers and make sales.
    • No, it is up to the consumer to educate themselves, do the research, and decide where to purchase products from, just like any other product, and using social media for marketing is just being business savvy.
    • I have some problems with them, but don't think they are a scourge to the retro gaming community. (Explain more in comments)

16 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I would be so embarrassed if I was that creepy looking doll guy in the videos (joey?) is he the owner?

If I ever get to the point im acting that cringe on social media, someone shoot me. Glad I ditched all of them a few years ago. 

Yea, but that shit works though. People clamor to be featured in their videos, etc. Youths, man.

Getting Old New Girl GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Yea, but that shit works though. People clamor to be featured in their videos, etc. Youths, man.

People clamor for free shit, just like with any industry.  That's all that's really going on here, but it is playing into DK's hands as far as providing them with all sorts of free publicity.  Heck, even threads like this are doing it, as it's always said that even bad publicity is good publicity.

DK Oldies social media push is clearly driving results. This thread, all the YouTube comments and response videos…DK Oldies is on the gaming public’s mind.

I wonder if they hired a media team or if this was just old fashioned pavement pounding, either way they’re clearly succeeding in creating brand awareness. Bravo, and fuck them. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, attakid101 said:

DK Oldies social media push is clearly driving results. This thread, all the YouTube comments and response videos…DK Oldies is on the gaming public’s mind.

I wonder if they hired a media team or if this was just old fashioned pavement pounding, either way they’re clearly succeeding in creating brand awareness. Bravo, and fuck them. 

No such thing as bad publicity. All these YouTube people screaming about how bad they are is probably just driving traffic to their site lol

• Agree 2

I had no idea what DK Oldies was until a coworker brought them up.

He saw my N64 Keychain and told me about this great company he bought all his games from and he found them on TikTok. Explained to me how they sent him a bootleg of a Pokémon game and when he emailed them they refunded his money, sent him a free copy, and game him a free game for his trouble. I start looking them up while he is telling me this and on the home page I saw the "deal" of the day and immediately knew he was an idiot. I asked what the free game he got was. A loose copy of Steel Diver for the 3DS...cool. 

He then asked me what consoles I have and I told him I don't and just got the keychain because it is from the same year as my Miata. I will never tell him I collect/play games 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, PuppyWaffles said:

I had no idea what DK Oldies was until a coworker brought them up.

He saw my N64 Keychain and told me about this great company he bought all his games from and he found them on TikTok. Explained to me how they sent him a bootleg of a Pokémon game and when he emailed them they refunded his money, sent him a free copy, and game him a free game for his trouble. I start looking them up while he is telling me this and on the home page I saw the "deal" of the day and immediately knew he was an idiot. I asked what the free game he got was. A loose copy of Steel Diver for the 3DS...cool. 

He then asked me what consoles I have and I told him I don't and just got the keychain because it is from the same year as my Miata. I will never tell him I collect/play games 😆

Your a better person then I. I would end up going on a rant showing them how much money their wasting

3 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Your a better person then I. I would end up going on a rant showing them how much money their wasting

I learned long ago people that just buy things and don't research won't listen when you tell them. There's a reason a fool and his money are soon parted. 

• Agree 1

Yeah I don’t care about whatever DkOldies is doing.  It’s their business to charge and advertise as they wish.  If their product is trash then lesson learned for these people and they should refund if the buyer is unhappy or you just eat whatever you spent and don’t shop there again.  I can’t be bothered to care about people that didn’t even do a basic google search before dropping a bunch of money on nes games.  If it wasn’t this they were going to waste their money on some other stupid shit.  Wait.  What.  Did not actually read.  What was DK doing that we’re supposed to be upset about?  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

To me when you post videos like what they do the owner is just trying to show off what he has. To me it creates a negative image cause now you have people who have the right to give an opinion on that particular video. You will read both positive but also negative.  Lots of inventory was purchased but how long will it take for that inventory to sell being that they charge more than the average seller does?  

23 minutes ago, Bonanza125 said:

Lots of inventory was purchased but how long will it take for that inventory to sell being that they charge more than the average seller does?  

There is also a point that having high prices allows them to keep items in stock. This drives more business and provides longevity. 

8 minutes ago, Link said:

There is also a point that having high prices allows them to keep items in stock. This drives more business and provides longevity. 

Isn't the reason being in business is to sell product you have? If you have many copies of 1 item the last thing as a business you would want to do is keep that product around for along time especially if you have overhead. I can understand a collector doing that but a business nah. The investment starts adding up.

9 minutes ago, Bonanza125 said:

Isn't the reason being in business is to sell product you have? If you have many copies of 1 item the last thing as a business you would want to do is keep that product around for along time especially if you have overhead. I can understand a collector doing that but a business nah. The investment starts adding up.

Yeah, but selling out too quickly has it's own issues. Customers won't revisit your store if they think there is nothing of interest to purchase.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 2:16 PM, MrWunderful said:

I would be so embarrassed if I was that creepy looking doll guy in the videos (joey?) is he the owner?

If I ever get to the point im acting that cringe on social media, someone shoot me. Glad I ditched all of them a few years ago. 

I went to Youtube to check it out... didn't even know DKOldies was making new videos.

I wish I hadn't. I can never unsee Joey. 😢

This is why I'm not a fan of these. People have to try to be "on" for the camera. And sometimes dorky video game people like us.... look like creepy looking doll guys getting all excited over old cardboard boxes. 🤣

Also... There's one rule I hold fast to in life. Never trust someone who has tucked their t-shirt into their jeans. 

If you're wearing a dress shirt OVER TOP and you have an undershirt on then yes it can be tucked into your jeans.... but to tuck. a t-shirt into jeans and just rock it.... nope.... you can't be trusted. 

Edited by AirVillain
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

I went to Youtube to check it out... didn't even know DKOldies was making new videos.

I wish I hadn't. I can never unsee Joey. 😢

This is why I'm not a fan of these. People have to try to be "on" for the camera. And sometimes dorky video game people like us.... look like creepy looking doll guys getting all excited over old cardboard boxes. 🤣

Also... There's one rule I hold fast to in life. Never trust someone who has tucked their t-shirt into their jeans. 

If you're wearing a dress shirt OVER TOP and you have an undershirt on then yes it can be tucked into your jeans.... but to tuck. a t-shirt into jeans and just rock it.... nope.... you can't be trusted. 

Hes like a male “m3gan” doll. 

and for the record, he is not the owner just a guy that works there (a shill if you will)

• Like 1

I still struggle to find which I hate them more for as a business.

Lying
Fleecing

It's clear they don't clean or refurb anything more than the minimum to know it turns on at least when they tried it and that's just lying.

Fleecing people out of a lot more money than the game sells elsewhere would be the other.  And it's not just on the notably good to excellent games everyone says you must buy, but even the other good to garbage stuff too.  Earlier I found a $5 game boy game, looked it up by name hoping for a guide, and one of the first hits, DK.  I thought it strange figuring maybe the NES version was worth more asking $24.99 ...nope it's the Game Boy one, and it sells on average in the $5-8 range anywhere else (ebay, etc.)  I mean seriously... F them.  Shame the community is more about chest thumping than a concerted effort to put a group like that out of business for real.

I wouldn't have a problem with them if it wasn't for the fact of them lying about refurbishing. The prices are terrible for system combos, but that's on the consumer for not doing enough research. But yeah, having dirty consoles that have not even been touched and claiming "refurbished" is AWFUL.

Edited by BitsAndGlory
  • Like 2

When I created this topic I hadn't heard about the possibly lying about refurbishing consoles. If they are lying, then I would change my opinion pretty quickly. It's also possible that they just have a poor refurbish process, or the employees doing the refurbishing are poorly trained. Which, if the case, also would need resolved. I still don't care if their prices are high though.

Edit: I also don't care what Joey or whoever looks like or what social media campaigns they use. Whatever works in business is worth doing so good for them if they found something.

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 6:01 PM, AirVillain said:

The undershirt gets tucked into the underwear. Elastic of the underwear holds the undershirt in all day, never exposing the ass crack. 

9 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

When I created this topic I hadn't heard about the possibly lying about refurbishing consoles. If they are lying, then I would change my opinion pretty quickly. It's also possible that they just have a poor refurbish process, or the employees doing the refurbishing are poorly trained. Which, if the case, also would need resolved. I still don't care if their prices are high though.

Edit: I also don't care what Joey or whoever looks like or what social media campaigns they use. Whatever works in business is worth doing so good for them if they found something.

They 100% lied about refurb, its been documented extensively. 

I don’t have a problem with Ultra greedy, aggressive free market capitalism, but misleading customers is a complete different story

Edited by MrWunderful
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

They 100% lied about refurb, its been documented extensively. 

I don’t have a problem with Ultra greedy, aggressive free market capitalism, but misleading customers is a complete different story

I haven't kept up on it besides seeing  video thumbnail / topic about it here and there. That's a shame. Hope they fix that. 

• Like 1

Last I saw they had no intention of changing as it keeps happening.  Instead when someone bitches on a space they can control what is seen, facebook, instagram, etc they erase posts and ban the users ghosting the issue as it's easier and cheaper than being honest.

• Sad 1