IGNORED

DKOldies: Are they bad for the retro gaming community?

DKOldies: Are they bad for the retro gaming community?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Is DKOldies bad for selling retro video games at high prices?

• Yes, they are taking advantage of uninformed gamers who don't know any better and are abusing platforms like TikTok to gain followers and make sales.
    • No, it is up to the consumer to educate themselves, do the research, and decide where to purchase products from, just like any other product, and using social media for marketing is just being business savvy.
    • I have some problems with them, but don't think they are a scourge to the retro gaming community. (Explain more in comments)

• 6 months later...

If what they did here is representative of their business, then I consider them a scam. For 300 dllrs and supposedly saying they are selling a fully refurbished system, I would expect they used the right kind of screws, clean the system and games thoroughly,  use a controller repair kit, and a full recap.

Edited by buttheadrulesagain
  • Wow! 1

I saw that, it has been posted around various places and sure some people dogpile, but I've also seen more picture and video evidence this seems to be normal for them.

You pay for a refurb not as-is, and it shows up as-is.  Dirty, cracks, stuff won't load, pay for a 1st party controller get something sketchy instead, as the list goes.

So not only are the deceitful liars, and charging well over market, but they're letter of law committing fraud.  You don't sell a service with choices, claim you do X Y Z for these services, and then box up something you'd get off some rando on facebook for $50 that looks like it was kept in a shed.

15 minutes ago, Ankos said:

I'm honestly really surprised they tried to sell this one. It's a multi with games by Hwang Shinwei. One of the games on it got edited and put on the Caltron 6 in 1 (Brush Roller→Bookyman). Unsurprisingly it was marked up considerably

https://www.dkoldies.com/golden-game-260-in-1-cartridge-nes/

Really is that a thing? I _just_ got done testing a 90 in 1 that has games by Hwang Shinwei and I thought it was interesting. Never had one before.

• Like 2

Yeah that golden cart is real I've had it years ago.  It's nowhere worth $200 then or now.  DKOldies again looking to find a chump, no surprise there.  The only surprise, shockingly you found a game on the site that doesn't have a fake sale price with the already laughably high one scratched out for something still a joke. 😄

2 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Really is that a thing? I _just_ got done testing a 90 in 1 that has games by Hwang Shinwei and I thought it was interesting. Never had one before.

This 260 in 1 is one of the iconic multicarts that I suggest picking up for those who collect these. I'd go for the Famicom version though, personally, as it would be cheaper. I might even have one listed for sale on Malis Cash.

4 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

There are three goldens, and three cartridge story's iirc. 90 in 1 cartridge story is the CS you want. I'd consider that series iconic too for multicart collectors.

Are the Goldens on Famicom? I've seen FC versions of Cartridge Story here and there, but I don't think I've seen the Golden ones

1 hour ago, Ankos said:

Are the Goldens on Famicom? I've seen FC versions of Cartridge Story here and there, but I don't think I've seen the Golden ones

Yeah they're on Famicom.

I'll try to take some pics for you tonight.

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fcgamer said:

This 260 in 1 is one of the iconic multicarts that I suggest picking up for those who collect these. I'd go for the Famicom version though, personally, as it would be cheaper. I might even have one listed for sale on Malis Cash.

Do you?  I used to have one kind of miss it for those taiwanese titles as they were remarkably decent.  Now that I think about it the one I had may have been in a FC shell, I had a honeybee that far back and I'd never pay more than I have to so the 72pin would likely not be bought.

24 minutes ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Yes it’s the 90 in 1 Cartridge Story (III)

That's cool. I think those might've been released in Canada at one point. I don't think many people would try to canonize them as part of a NA unlicensed set since they're still multis that have licensed games on them without authorization

I've been seeing an increase of stories spreading online videos too where there's an outpouring of really (good) bad examples of the quality(lack of) stuff that DKoldies ships out.

- Lies about clean up
- Lies about refurbishment
- Lies about what they send when you request/pay for something (ie: original vs KO unbranded controllers)
- Nothing is on sale but everything is, fake sales having super high to overly high price as sale

There's other randomness.  The only positives I've seen is well packaged goods and shipping times, but maybe that's a double edged disaster since they can't claim the mail thrashed it. 😉

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I've been seeing an increase of stories spreading online videos too where there's an outpouring of really (good) bad examples of the quality(lack of) stuff that DKoldies ships out.

- Lies about clean up
- Lies about refurbishment
- Lies about what they send when you request/pay for something (ie: original vs KO unbranded controllers)
- Nothing is on sale but everything is, fake sales having super high to overly high price as sale

There's other randomness.  The only positives I've seen is well packaged goods and shipping times, but maybe that's a double edged disaster since they can't claim the mail thrashed it. 😉

I’ve bought games from them a couple times. No issues. Never bought a console though. Same with Lukie Games. When I was collecting full sets either site had good prices on filler and sports games so I could buy in bulk and save on shipping. Lukies reward point system is good but the rewards are straight up garbage. For fucks sake just let me use reward points to take dollars of my next purchase. 

Neither site is meant for people who actually know about this stuff. Please find me any retailer of goods and services who doesn’t profit off those who are too lazy to do research or just plain do not know any better. 

• Agree 1

Agreed, games I've noticed tend to end up relatively safe, but there's less likely to be something worth complaining about there on those most wouldn't just pull a whatever about and just clean it anyway to be safe.  Mostly it was console and the controllers I saw the legit gripes about.  Mostly I think due to that smiling simp on their videos going on about how they do a great shop job of opening, cleaning, testing, making them as nice as possible... and then reality hits.

6 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Agreed, games I've noticed tend to end up relatively safe, but there's less likely to be something worth complaining about there on those most wouldn't just pull a whatever about and just clean it anyway to be safe.  Mostly it was console and the controllers I saw the legit gripes about.  Mostly I think due to that smiling simp on their videos going on about how they do a great shop job of opening, cleaning, testing, making them as nice as possible... and then reality hits.

Don’t they have pictures of the actual game you are buying or am I confusing that aspect with JJGames? I’ve bought from JJ too, new and old management lol

I would like to know when they get exceptionally rarer games like Hagane, who the hell is paying wayyyy over eBay for those type of games? I feel like employees are the only ones who buy them after getting the boss to knock down the price to something more in line with market. 

I’m not saying that DK isn’t guilty of embellishment in any way, just stating I’ve had good experiences with them and to remind people that stores are here to make as much profit as they can. It’s up to consumers to smarten up!

• Like 1

@a3quit4s No they use stock box art images I think site wide, largely if not otherwise.  That would be JJ games with real shots, and I think lukie may mix between them, or at least tries to look like that with a picture of a cart, maybe not the one you'll get.

I think someone overpaying would be the newb collector who would be ok paying a few hundred more figuring, well it'll just keep going up, just to FOMO it out of the way like a complete fool.

• 5 weeks later...

that said, the number of broken consoles from dkoldies is alarming. i wouldn't be surprised if they're hit with a class action. if they're actually misleading customers then yeah i think they're a sore spot on the community and should be pursued legally.

Edited by inasuma
  • Agree 1

Just a random thought for the conspiracy theorist types.

Tiktok is owned by bytedance, and bytedance is a Chinese company with multiple sitting members of the CCP politburo on the board and answers to the party.

CCP is the number one global digital spy ring around for collecting information and monitoring individuals which they store in their databases.  The tiktok agreement to sign up and use is allowing them to collect and use this information.

Perhaps DKoldies and in particular their tiktok account is more than it seems.  Maybe mr whitebread on there is a chinese ai bot?

Perhaps all this shit about over charging on goods, scamming people with refurbished items, lying about quality, it's all a CCP agenda to help shift people away from trusting the evil capitalist marketplace of the west. 😄  If you break trust in capitalism, people will run to something more controlled, more regulated, more...communist with capitalist tendencies to be safe?  Hmmm....