IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Gun Smoke!

BeaIank

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's Progress + Highest score, so to make it easier on Bea, you should post the stage you died on along with your score...

And just for clarification, @BeaIank, is it progress first, then highest score as the tie break?  It actually makes a huge difference due to the fact that buying the poster costs score points.  So if it was score first, hanging out for multiple loops on a stage and then taking a picture before buying a poster would result in a higher score than a more skilled player making it much further but then having less points due to buying posters.  So I'm assuming it's progress first then high score as the tie break; correct me if I'm wrong...

I did read it, and it sounds like you're right.  I posted in the post that I made it to the third boss, but it is indeed progress first, then score...so I'll edit in where I died. 

CLEAR   [128,770]   -   Britches finally beat blouses and then sum.  Lv5 wasn't too rough except for a couple of sticky spots -much the same with Lv6.

Level 4   [95,170]   -   not quite sure what happened here except to say, that after a valiant level 4 push, level 4 pushed back pretty hard.

Level 3    [156,910]   -   note to self: don't obsess over an unnecessary barrel surrounded by the enemy like 5 or 6 rottweilers all vying over who's going to tag the hydrant last...

128,770.png

Edited by PII
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2022 at 9:43 PM, NESfiend said:

Pretty dejected at the moment

Put yer boots up fer tha evenin' an come back fresh in the mornin' after a delicious meal of left-over, hard-as-bullets beans-fer-breakfast.    MMMMM!!

Edited by PII
  • Haha 1

Hey, further reading of the rules raises another question - not one I'm likely to require, but someone may get there at some point.  Basically, the way it sounds (take a picture during the ending and then at the start of level 1 to get the score), am I correct in assuming we're to only play through one game loop?  Research shows it takes three to beat the game 100% (it no longer allows you to continue after three loops, per a video on YouTube that plays through all three), but I would understand not having to do all three for the purpose of the competition.  I just want to make it clear that the run actually ends after one loop in case someone manages to pull it off.

Events Team · Posted
13 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's Progress + Highest score, so to make it easier on Bea, you should post the stage you died on along with your score...

And just for clarification, @BeaIank, is it progress first, then highest score as the tie break?  It actually makes a huge difference due to the fact that buying the poster costs score points.  So if it was score first, hanging out for multiple loops on a stage and then taking a picture before buying a poster would result in a higher score than a more skilled player making it much further but then having less points due to buying posters.  So I'm assuming it's progress first then high score as the tie break; correct me if I'm wrong...

Yes, it is progress first then high score.
So a stage 6 with 0 points score beats a stage 5 with 999,999 points.

Events Team · Posted
13 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Got back from out of state tonight and tried two runs. 

Run 1 - collected level 1 poster by mistake. 

Run 2 - collected level 2 poster by mistake. 

Pretty dejected at the moment

As long as you buy the poster before the third loop of the stage, it doesn't matter if you collected the poster.
But you cannot face the boss without buying it.
And getting it before you loop the stage 3 times means you are leaving points on the table that will then be used to determine your placing against people who reached the same stage as you!

58 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

As long as you buy the poster before the third loop of the stage, it doesn't matter if you collected the poster.
But you cannot face the boss without buying it.
And getting it before you loop the stage 3 times means you are leaving points on the table that will then be used to determine your placing against people who reached the same stage as you!

Both times it was on the second loop of the level and I was planning to buy it loop 3. I did play again but wasnt happy enough with the result to post it. Level 2 around 88k I think. 

@the_wizard_666, did you post somewhere in here that you found horses on levels 2 and 3? I thought level 1 was the only one with a free horse. Pulled levels maps on gamefaqs and didnt see horses on those and also looked at some youtube videos and didnt see it there either. 

Events Team · Posted
9 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Hey, further reading of the rules raises another question - not one I'm likely to require, but someone may get there at some point.  Basically, the way it sounds (take a picture during the ending and then at the start of level 1 to get the score), am I correct in assuming we're to only play through one game loop?  Research shows it takes three to beat the game 100% (it no longer allows you to continue after three loops, per a video on YouTube that plays through all three), but I would understand not having to do all three for the purpose of the competition.  I just want to make it clear that the run actually ends after one loop in case someone manages to pull it off.

We're doing only one loop of the game, yes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Both times it was on the second loop of the level and I was planning to buy it loop 3. I did play again but wasnt happy enough with the result to post it. Level 2 around 88k I think. 

@the_wizard_666, did you post somewhere in here that you found horses on levels 2 and 3? I thought level 1 was the only one with a free horse. Pulled levels maps on gamefaqs and didnt see horses on those and also looked at some youtube videos and didnt see it there either. 

They're right near the start of the level and only available on the second loop of the stage.  So without looping the level, you won't get a free horse.  My guess is the dude who made the maps didn't loop the stages more than once, so they wouldn't have shown up.  I've tried hitting them at the start of the level, but the horse only spawns on the second loop.  I would guess the later levels would do the same thing, but I've only played them on games that I'd died, so I was collecting posters and never got to the point where the horse would appear.

7 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Dr. Morbis a more skilled player will figure out how to maximize score and progress….

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

A more intelligent player will prioritize that which is more important... 😉

And a superior player will do both, maximizing where they can, but sacrificing where needed for the larger goal. 🙂