IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Gun Smoke!

BeaIank

Unofficial scoreboard is pretty sparse, and I rank way higher than I have any right to right now...c'mon everyone, I suck nuts at shooters, and to have only one guy looping the game at this point, considering how many of y'all are good at this sort of game, is just kinda...sad.  On the plus side, all submissions are at least level 4 at this point, so it's not for a lack of effort.  Anyway, since Skinny stopped doing it, I figured I'd do the leaderboard up for y'all to see where ya stand:

@Dr. Morbis - Full Loop, 67,670
@the_wizard_666 - Level 5, 120,060
@8bitdontquit - Level 4, 145,590
@PII- Level 4, 95,170
@mbd39 - Level 4, 93,050
@docile tapeworm - A fat load of nothing 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ninja looks like Prince, circa Purple Rain.  The Sprite even makes it look like he's dancing most of the time.  I keep expecting him to show up on a Steel Horse...

...also, "Wiz's Mini Scoreboard" doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but I'm glad to see one up never-the-less.

Ninja-Prince.png

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, PII said:

Ninja looks like Prince, circa Purple Rain.  The Sprite even makes it look like he's dancing most of the time.  I keep expecting him to show up on a Steel Horse...

...also, "Wiz's Mini Scoreboard" doesn't quite have the same ring to it, but I'm glad to see one up never-the-less.

Ninja-Prince.png

Once seen, it can't be unseen 😆

And I know it doesn't sound right, but @docile tapeworm has been slacking far too much lately.  Someone's gotta do it 😛

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Unofficial scoreboard is pretty sparse, and I rank way higher than I have any right to right now...c'mon everyone, I suck nuts at shooters, and to have only one guy looping the game at this point, considering how many of y'all are good at this sort of game, is just kinda...sad.  On the plus side, all submissions are at least level 4 at this point, so it's not for a lack of effort.  Anyway, since Skinny stopped doing it, I figured I'd do the leaderboard up for y'all to see where ya stand:

@Dr. Morbis - Full Loop, 67,670
@the_wizard_666 - Level 5, 120,060
@8bitdontquit - Level 4, 145,590
@PII- Level 4, 95,170
@mbd39 - Level 4, 93,050
@docile tapeworm - A fat load of nothing 😉

Com'on, man!  You gotta go all in and use the dumb nicknames too, like this:

Undisputed Shooter Champ - Full Loop, 67,670
Wiz'n without Skillz - Level 5, 120,060
L'il Quitter - Level 4, 145,590
Pumpkin Pie - Level 4, 95,170
Michael 9000 - Level 4, 93,050
Grinnin' Sycophant - Unable to make Level 2 after 46 tries...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Tha's Punkin', Hombre....

....unless it's Banana Cream or one of those other silly confection titles that Skinny came up with...

punk-naner.png

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You expect me to be creative?  I'm barely functional at the best of times! 😛

This week has been relentless. Heres a participation score. Mothers day weekend not leaving much of a window to get back to it. Will probably start casually playing some tmnt 2. Never a bad idea

Stage 2 - 106,210

20220506_225445.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

Played a bit tonight, gonna try more tomorrow, this is never my genre but I've always liked this one so it's fun to take a stab at it.  Got to level 2 boss, then practiced looping the levels.  I'll probably just learn to loop the levels I can manage and then hopefully just spend it on horses for the rest and just get as far as I can, tiebreaker points be damned if I can get farther by buying them. 🐎

Events Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Krunch said:

Played a bit tonight, gonna try more tomorrow, this is never my genre but I've always liked this one so it's fun to take a stab at it.  Got to level 2 boss, then practiced looping the levels.  I'll probably just learn to loop the levels I can manage and then hopefully just spend it on horses for the rest and just get as far as I can, tiebreaker points be damned if I can get farther by buying them. 🐎

Since it is progress first, score second, this is the proper mentality to have to tackle this game.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Krunch said:

That's what I did.  I got good enough that I could loop the first three levels relatively easily, and then got lucky on level 4, which I did not loop at all.  There's a definite difficulty jump in level 4 when the enemies come up from behind far more frequently than normal, so I honestly didn't expect to make it any farther, but yeah, sometimes luck trumps skill 😛

2 minutes ago, PII said:

I was having a killer run last night that would've put me at over 2 hundred k when I died on the final boss.  That's been stingin'.  I did not expect to win with the score I have...

=

@Dr. Morbis@docile tapeworm You guys are slippin'...

@docile tapeworm If you got a 1cc, why didn't you post it ??? 

Ya I didn’t start really playing till yesterday and I just figured out the weapons today. 

i didn’t post the 1cc cause this is a 1 life contest.

really good game though. Nice music.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Who's slipping?  I made up half the ground between myself and skinny in the shooter category, and I'm still firmly planted atop the Geral scoreboard...  😉

All true, I was just very surprised to see that you didn't improve upon your initial game clearing success.

I thought for sure I was going to need a 2 hundy k+ to beat the shooter champ this week.

29 minutes ago, PII said:

All true, I was just very surprised to see that you didn't improve upon your initial game clearing success.

I thought for sure I was going to need a 2 hundy k+ to beat the shooter champ this week.

He had a busy weekend.  I'm honestly just shocked there weren't more of y'all finishing the game.  Not that I'm complaining, since I got way more points than I expected this week, but I'm shocked there weren't many players this week.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PII said:

I was originally planning on putting up a better score, but I didn't get around to it for a bit and then the weekend was busy.  I actually played out my posted game and no-deathed to the 5th level of the third loop, since I wanted to officially beat the game for my list (after three loops it says "The End" and freezes instead of saying "Push Start") and ended up with a 1cc for the real ending.  So after doing that, I feel like I know the game inside and out, so I was going to do a run maximizing score instead of just trying to survive, but like I said, I didn't get 'round to it...

44 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

He had a busy weekend.  I'm honestly just shocked there weren't more of y'all finishing the game.  Not that I'm complaining, since I got way more points than I expected this week, but I'm shocked there weren't many players this week.

Well it was Mother's Day weekend, so that kinda limits time for people in most families...

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Who's slipping?  I made up half the ground between myself and skinny in the shooter category, and I'm still firmly planted atop the Geral scoreboard...  😉

the only chance you got is top gun, I’ll probably get participation.

the other two I’ll smoke you.

your lucky I was messing with those magic cards this week or I would have finished first here. No matter if you had a busy week or not.

517343FA-2D0E-4AE5-8374-1D2BF73EBEE2.gif