IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Gun Smoke!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, 8bitdontquit said:

Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Extra power,  pick up every one

I've been using this tactic since I was a kid.  "Jump in that pit, there's a million points down there."

It all started with Super Mario Bros. because you must wait for the other player to die before you could have the next turn.  People will always fall for bad advice in video games. 😅

• Like 1

@BeaIank I need a ruling before I update my score.  I accidentally picked up the Wanted poster on level 1, but I did so after I had already paid for it.  I know it's supposed to kill the run, but because I did take the 20K point hit shortly before snagging it.  I feel like it's a minor issue, but something that should probably be addressed early on.

20 minutes ago, 8bitdontquit said:

You should be ok @the_wizard_666.  The poster doesn't give you any extra points and the requirement is you pay for it, so as long as you've done that..  your good.  Edit..  your original score doesn't count bc you have to get to second level min..   

Well shit, I guess my new score won't either 😛  I still haven't made it to level 2 on one life.  Been playing through anyway, but yeah, I always seem to die at least once.  Maybe I'll buy a smart bomb to get an extra hit though...

3 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I've been using this tactic since I was a kid.  "Jump in that pit, there's a million points down there."

It all started with Super Mario Bros. because you must wait for the other player to die before you could have the next turn.  People will always fall for bad advice in video games. 😅

This sounds like a great YouTube channel.  In fact, I’very considered doing just this.

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

@BeaIank I need a ruling before I update my score.  I accidentally picked up the Wanted poster on level 1, but I did so after I had already paid for it.  I know it's supposed to kill the run, but because I did take the 20K point hit shortly before snagging it.  I feel like it's a minor issue, but something that should probably be addressed early on.

You bought the poster, so your score would be valid if you had made to stage 2.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 8bitdontquit said:

Find and try to keep a horse. Gives you like three extra hits.

I found the one in the first stage.  Never found one on stage 2 (still haven't made it on one life, but I've played out my games).  I know you can buy one, but 20K just isn't worth it...and I only really have issues when there's a shitton on the screen at once, so a few smart bombs probably couldn't hurt.  8K for an extra hit that clears the screen?  Sign me up 😛

EDIT: Well, the horse is a requirement for me on level 2, and since there isn't actually one to be found, I had to spend the points...but then I never would've beat the boss without it (took too many hits...gotta learn his pattern).  Having to buy the poster makes it tough to maintain a solid score too, but then that's what makes it a challenge I suppose.  I'm just glad to have a valid participation score.

Edited by the_wizard_666

@the_wizard_666 Yeah, if we had no special rules, I stand by that maxing this games score would be easy for most. Time consuming but easy.  However, forcing to buy the posters and allowing no more than 3x loops per level will greatly suppress scores, plus getting the horses and bombs will hurt a lot.

Personally, I’m just going to try to learn patterns and buy only the posters. This makes the game much harder for me, but I’m fine making it to just stage 2 and possibly 3.

Still, I bet someone out there will get a score 10x mine.

9 hours ago, RH said:

Oh, and are there ROM variations? Anyone know?

I checked on the ROM site I use because they usually have major ROM revisions, and I found nothing.  So then I checked Bootgod's database, and every variant posted had either NES-GK-0 or PAL-GK-0 on the mask ROM.  So in this case, it's solely a variation to the label and not the actual game.  There would be a revision to the mask ROM otherwise, as the -0 refers to the revision.  So a REV A would be -1, a REV B would be -2, etc.  Note that for games with separate PRG and CHR ROMs though, that the revision doesn't have to apply to both.  SMB 3 for example has a -1 on the PRG but NOT the CHR, as only the PRG was modified for the revision. 

So TL/DR - No, there are no (known) ROM revisions for Gun.Smoke that I can find.

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2022 at 12:12 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

20220502_190957.jpg.d29490f5c9ed233b28ff96f87d8d2fdb.jpg

Second Score - So it's weird...I've never lost on level 2, but have more runs than I can count that don't make it past the first stage.  Anyway, this run I found a horse on both levels 2 and 3, helping me last a LOT longer than normal.  Got as far as the third boss.  I'm starting to think I'd be better served, both in terms of practice and score, if I maximize my loops, at least on the first two stages.  I haven't done more than one loop on each stage - in this run, I did only two loops on each stage, so there's definitely room for improvement.  But not having to pay $20K for the horses helps a ton.

First Valid Score - Well, finally managed to beat level 1, and beat level 2 on my first shot, albeit by purchasing a horse on level 2.  A smart bomb on level 3 kept me going for a bit, but not far enough to matter unfortunately.  The fact that I'm not a shooter guy means this may be the peak of my abilities, but the game is decent enough that I'll give it a good honest go.  Gonna keep playing through my games to get better at it, and hopefully be able to put together a much longer no-death run...maybe even without having to buy extra horses along the way to get the distance...

First Score - Yeah, I suck at this game.  Note that it costs 20K to buy the first poster, so you'll likely have to do at least one loop (I didn't miss much, and was only half way there).  On level 1, it's the dude...not sure if that's uniform through the entire game, but it's true for the first stage.  Anyway, I don't expect to do much more than a participation score this week, but I do intend to try and improve on this regardless.

It's Progress + Highest score, so to make it easier on Bea, you should post the stage you died on along with your score...

And just for clarification, @BeaIank, is it progress first, then highest score as the tie break?  It actually makes a huge difference due to the fact that buying the poster costs score points.  So if it was score first, hanging out for multiple loops on a stage and then taking a picture before buying a poster would result in a higher score than a more skilled player making it much further but then having less points due to buying posters.  So I'm assuming it's progress first then high score as the tie break; correct me if I'm wrong...

Edited by Dr. Morbis