IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Gun Smoke!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentleman, I hope you rested well during our break week, because now it is time for ACTION!
Black powder, gun totting action!

It is time for GUN SMOKE! Get your guns ready and go bounty hunting!
The rules for this week are as follow:

• 1 life only
  • You must buy the wanted poster from the vendor
  • You have up to three loops of the current stage to acquire the money needed to buy the wanted poster (and to point press!)
  • If you didn't collect enough money to  buy the poster after you run by the vendor by the third time, your run is over
  • If you collect the wanted poster from the stage after passing the 3rd vendor your run ends.
  • As long as you buy the wanted poster before the 3rd appearing of the vendor, your run is valid... unless you don't buy the poster at the 3rd vendor.
  • Your score doesn't show during the boss fight, so I suggest you to pause the game before it and take a picture of your score should you die during the boss fight.
  • If you beat the game, take a picture of the ending and then a picture of the start screen which will be showing your highest score
  • Highest progress + highest score wins
  • Participation: Make to stage 2
  • Genre: Shooter

The contest ends Sunday, 05/08/22 at 11 pm EST.  Your user name should be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid. For speed runs that require video, that is not required.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

Events Team · Posted
1st PII Game beaten - 128770
2nd Dr. Morbis Game beaten - 67670
3rd docile tapeworm Stage 6 - 37260
4th the_wizard_666 Stage 5 - 120060
5th 8bitdontquit Stage 4 - 145590
6th mbd39 Stage 4 - 93050
7th Krunch Stage 3 - 79780
8th NESfiend Stage 2 - 106210

Stage 5; 120,060

20220503_175020.jpg.da617e979f252fcf5608e150717697c5.jpg

Third Score - Well, playing out my runs has paid off, as I somehow managed to get through level 4 without dying.  I feel I got lucky though, more than anything...but I did capitalize on it.  I had not had a death on the level 4 boss prior, and didn't start this time around either, beating him handily.  Sadly, level 5 combines a shitton of enemies coming from behind and reduced mobility in the level proper, so I didn't get terribly far into it, but I got much further than I thought I could already.  Maybe a full loop is possible.  Hell, maybe I can get level 4 as down as I did the first three so I can do more than a single loop without risk of my run going south.  Doubtful, but who knows.

Second Score - So it's weird...I've never lost on level 2, but have more runs than I can count that don't make it past the first stage.  Anyway, this run I found a horse on both levels 2 and 3, helping me last a LOT longer than normal.  Got as far as the third boss.  I'm starting to think I'd be better served, both in terms of practice and score, if I maximize my loops, at least on the first two stages.  I haven't done more than one loop on each stage - in this run, I did only two loops on each stage, so there's definitely room for improvement.  But not having to pay $20K for the horses helps a ton.

First Valid Score - Well, finally managed to beat level 1, and beat level 2 on my first shot, albeit by purchasing a horse on level 2.  A smart bomb on level 3 kept me going for a bit, but not far enough to matter unfortunately.  The fact that I'm not a shooter guy means this may be the peak of my abilities, but the game is decent enough that I'll give it a good honest go.  Gonna keep playing through my games to get better at it, and hopefully be able to put together a much longer no-death run...maybe even without having to buy extra horses along the way to get the distance...

First Score - Yeah, I suck at this game.  Note that it costs 20K to buy the first poster, so you'll likely have to do at least one loop (I didn't miss much, and was only half way there).  On level 1, it's the dude...not sure if that's uniform through the entire game, but it's true for the first stage.  Anyway, I don't expect to do much more than a participation score this week, but I do intend to try and improve on this regardless.

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 1

@docile tapeworm do you want me to use the "bar" cart or revised cart to beat you?

SCORE EDIT: Day one I had an hour before the hockey game and made it to Stage 3 - 50,000 pts

SCORE EDIT #2: Wow this game is easy when you use all the items.  Anyway, I beat the game, no-deathing the first loop.  My score is low due to buying the posters and many, many items to help me get through it... 😛  First picture is the game ending; second picture is my score at the very start of loop two after it says, "Press Start" on the ending: All Stages completed - 67,670

GS-2a.JPG

GS-2b.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

He has both.  Who's the loser? 😛

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

If you haven't had both for at least twenty years, "your" the loser.... 😛

I had both for twenty seconds before I realized having both is for posers and mamas boys. Both your comments confirms it.

you can’t get passed devil hawk.

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I had both for twenty seconds before I realized having both is for posers and mamas boys.

you can’t get passed devil hawk.

Actually, I thought I had beaten the game for my personal list for years and years as per adaml's game endings faq, until I found out recently from some dude on youtube that you have to loop the game twice for the *true* ending.  So I haven't technically ever beat this game, and certainly not on one life...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Actually, I thought I had beaten the game for my personal list for years and years as per adaml's game endings list, until I found out recently from some dude on youtube that you have to loop the game twice for the *true* ending.  So I haven't technically ever beat this game, and certainly not on one life...

How do I know if I collected the poster Instead of buying it?

it’s like having both copies of Metroid or any of the other dupes.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Actually, I thought I had beaten the game for my personal list for years and years as per adaml's game endings faq, until I found out recently from some dude on youtube that you have to loop the game twice for the *true* ending.  So I haven't technically ever beat this game, and certainly not on one life...

You mean you're NOT done with Capcom?  Damn dude, get on it!

Anyway, no score update...there would've been one, but I bought the shotgun on my first run through.  Definitely makes a huge difference on the back half of the stage.  Anyway, screen stopped scrolling, and got shot by one of the final enemies before the boss...yeah, I suck 😛

Just now, docile tapeworm said:

How do I know if I collected the poster Instead of buying it?

it’s like having both copies of Metroid or any of the other dupes.

It's not a poster, it's the full label.  Just like having both Metroids.  Unlike something like Untouchables, which had some game modifications to go with the label change (iirc it's just the title screen, but it's still a change),  I don't think there was a modification to the ROM on this one, just the label itself. 

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

It's not a poster, it's the full label.  Just like having both Metroids.  Unlike something like Untouchables, which had some game modifications to go with the label change (iirc it's just the title screen, but it's still a change),  I don't think there was a modification to the ROM on this one, just the label itself. 

Lol I meant int the game. How will I know if I collected the wanted poster.

Just now, docile tapeworm said:

Lol I meant int the game. How will I know if I collected the wanted poster.

Well, the level won't loop, that'd be the first clue.  I'm not sure where they are to pick them up for free though, so I'm not certain on that, but I believe it'll look like a wanted poster when you pick it up, so if it spawns, don't pick it up?

14 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Well, the level won't loop, that'd be the first clue.  I'm not sure where they are to pick them up for free though, so I'm not certain on that, but I believe it'll look like a wanted poster when you pick it up, so if it spawns, don't pick it up?

IIRC, it shows up when you shoot it, so you have to basically strafe both sides with bullets a LOT to spot it. I can't remember if it shows up if you accidentally run over its spawn point.

edit: According to the manual, to find it you need to shoot its spot eight times. But it has the same sound effect as shooting a barrel, so if you get that sound effect shooting an empty spot, that's where the poster is.

Edited by Tulpa

7 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

IIRC, it shows up when you shoot it, so you have to basically strafe both sides with bullets a LOT to spot it. I can't remember if it shows up if you accidentally run over its spawn point.

What’s it look like? What are those spiral things? One is blue and one is red.

3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

What’s it look like? What are those spiral things? One is blue and one is red.

The poster is a white square with black marks on it, looking like an 8 bit wanted poster.

Spiral things are Yashichi, sort of a Capcom trademark symbol.They show up in countless early Capcom games, and do different things depending on the game. I think they're 1ups in Gun.smoke.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Thanks 1