IGNORED

What systems have withstood the test of time appearance wise?

austin532

I figured I would bring this topic back from the dead now that a few years have passed. What systems still look as cool as they did when they first came out? Meaning it still fits in nicely next to modern technology and does not look outdated. A few years ago I said the N64, Dreamcast, and Neo Geo AES. I still agree with those.

10 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

What taste would that be exactly?... Hardtack?

It has a  nice vintage 80s electronics look, like a VCR or something. It doesn't look too much like a toy or have cheesy wood grain.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

Interesting, the design of the actual hardware instead of the usual nitpicking of game lists and how their quality has fared over the decades.

I'd feel comfortable saying that most of the Nintendo handhelds have held up very well, especially the classic vertical designed Gameboy family of handhelds (and the original GBA too.)  Visibly speaking they just work well.  The designs still are copied and re-used today, both on and off the original scale but with the similar proportions with all sorts of chinese multi-game knockoff devices and emulation handhelds of some sort.  The bitboy and friends from that RS- line all have that original GB/GBP style setup in layout but with more buttons that are needed.  And then others have that wide grip/panel design the GBA used because that too is a comfortable controller like style layout.  Some classic designs just hold up very well.  I wish I could say that of like the GBA SP or anything DS, but the trends in handheld kind of tossed the whole clamshell thing into the past.

Handle in the back aside your stock black and platinum gamecube would look totally clean and normal in a modern entertainment space due to the clean minimalist lines of it all.

I’d say both versions of the NES hold up well.  I mean, the XB1 is kind of boxy just like the toaster.

But for me, the original Atari 2600 is amazing.  I love the woodgrain vaneer. Yes it’s totally 70s but I don’t think it was ever imitated but it’s still beautiful.

• Like 1