IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TECMO BASKETBALL!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and Gentleman, PLAY BALL!

This week our skilled players shall prove how good they are at BASKETBALL through their mastery of TECMO BASKETBALL!

The rules for this week are pretty simple:

• Play regular season
  • Pick any team of your preference at the team control screen.
  • You can only pick one team to control
  • Play the 1st match of the regular season
  • Take your picture at the NBA Sports Wrap Up screen
  • Highest positive score differential wins
  • For tie break, 3 point score percentage will be used
  • Highest score wins
  • Genre: Sports

The contest ends Sunday, 04/24/22 at 11 pm EST.  Your user name should be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid. For speed runs that require video, that is not required.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

118-68 = 50 point differential

20220420_185603.jpg.9f695a3b894cf88c0313e91f66636f6b.jpg

Fifth Score: Well, after some more research, apparently the Spurs were one of the best defensive teams in the league that year, so I gave San Antonio a spin...and goddamn, did I ever wipe the floor with Dallas 😮 Robinson was defensive player of the year that year, but I never really felt he was much of a factor...rather, the entire team was great defensively.  Offensively, Cummins had a 42 point game, and Elliot had 37, so the scoring wasn't as well rounded as Golden State was, but I felt I played a tighter game overall with San Antonio.   Going the other way took a bit of getting used to, but it wasn't THAT big a deal.  Still trying to figure out the tip-offs though.

Fourth Score: No change in differential, but I improved the tie-breaker so I figured I'd post it anyway.  25% beats 8% any day of the week 😛

Third Score:  So after a bunch more games, I think the key is to be aggressive on defence.  I've tried being a bit more conservative, but if you do that they seem to score more.  Also finding no luck with any team other than Golden State for some reason...I can't even win a game with another team 😛  It seems strange, but even with what should be better teams in better matchups, I just can't seem to even begin to have success.  On the plus side, I managed another 5 point spread.  One trick I've found is to use the time-outs, especially near the end of a quarter.  If you have possession and are in your end, and there's under 30 seconds left in a period, use a time out and you'll start in their end.  I've squeaked out a few quick points that way when I really shouldn't have.  Also, if you go on a bad run, where you just can't seem to score a basket to save your life, use a full time out.  Seems to give your guys a second wind.  You get 7 full timeouts and a pair of 20 second timeouts, so you can do this 9 times in a game.  That's potentially 18 points at times when they can't answer. On an unrelated note though...has anyone ever actually WON the tip off?  I've only managed to win it once, and I have absolutely NO idea how I managed it.  It seems the AI gets pixel perfect timing every time and there's shit all you can do about it.

Second Score: Man, this game has a few frustrating points...fouls seem to hit far too frequently, considering the AI doesn't give you a chance to move around them if they decide to stop in front of you, and the flicker makes it really tough to follow what is going on in a crowd.  I'm also getting annoyed by the passing...the cursor is over the player I want, but for some reason the player passed to is a completely different dude, which causes me to occasionally run out of bounds when I expect to be running to mid-court.  Still, it's a pretty good game overall, though definitely not as pick-up-and-play friendly as some other basketball games out there.  This game also had one of Denver's top players (Mutombo IIRC) to get a groin pull in the first period, meaning I should have had an advantage.  Indeed, his replacement had a whopping 6 points to his 4 in part of one period)...but an awesome game from Liberty offset that advantage.  Billy Owens was the star of this game, with 26 points, although only Mario Elie (14) had fewer than 20 points...total team effort all around.  All told, this game is pretty sweet, though flawed...makes me wanna try the SNES version though, as I feel this version was scaled back a bit.

First Score:  So I did some digging into the various matchups...since the rosters were based on the 1991-92 season, I researched the final standings that year, and found various favourable matchups.  Trying several teams out, I found I had my best luck with Golden State against the Nuggets.  While the Nuggets weren't the worst team or most favourable matchup by a long shot, I found that Denver's combination of inept defence and mediocre offence coupled with the well-rounded roster of Golden State to be the key for me.  I'm sure others may find better matchups for them, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?  Though I'm digging the game...may give the Bulls a spin now that I've got a feel for the game 😛

As an aside, it does feel weird to me that I'm digging a basketball game (a sport that I really couldn't care less about), yet couldn't stand Pipe Dream, which on paper should check all the boxes for me.  I dunno, just seemed a bit odd to me.

Edited by the_wizard_666

7 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Tried to light it up with mark price but the game is more simulation style. Gonna have to play a team game. In that case……

miamiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii heeeeeeeeeeeeeeat!!!

Hey, I'm surprised you didn't play Pipe Dream. Seems like your kind of game.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I can’t get the same matchup everytime. The season progress stays saved. Even if I reset and try again it goes on to the next game in the schedule.

I would assume you've gotta wipe the season after your game to reset it to the start each time so you can always be playing the day 1 matchup...

16 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Tried to light it up with mark price but the game is more simulation style. Gonna have to play a team game. In that case……

miamiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii heeeeeeeeeeeeeeat!!!

I just realized that Price played for Cleveland in this game...does that mean you lost in your picture?  Cuz according to the rules, you have to WIN your game in order to have a score...

• Agree 1

@the_wizard_666 mutombo was more a defensive guy so he probably wouldn’t light it up in the scoring.

anyway it’s cool you like this game. It’s not bad for an nes game. I’ll agree with the cons, flicker and the cursor is the worst I’ve thrown backcourt and ran out of bounds more than a handful of times because of it.

nba live 96 is my favorite nba game. @Reed Rothchild I’d love to see it on the snes lineup I guarantee I’d win.

21 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

It’s not bad for an nes game.

The problem with basketball games on the NES is that they never had a truly great one. Baseball had Baseball Stars, football had Tecmo Super Bowl, hockey had Blades of Steel. But the basketball games ranged from flawed but playable (this one, Double Dribble, maybe Roundball) to horrendous (Hoops, Harlem Globetrotters.)

Edited by Tulpa
  • Agree 1