IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TECMO BASKETBALL!

BeaIank

4 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Dude, you don't have to trust the emulator.  What you should trust is that the ROM would load up like it was new until there was some save data acquired.  As there was no save data on my computer, the ROM would boot up like a clean slate.  You can make whatever arguments about differences in running emulators vs hardware, but the ROM image itself would be identical to the cart.  Don't believe me?  Take 5 minutes and remove the battery from your cart and prove it.  Default is 4 minutes on normal speed.  Although I would be curious about how big a blowout I could get with 12 minute quarters 😛

Of course the ROM image is identical; but the device executing the code is different from an NES in every conceivable way.  The fact is, this game is like Final Fantasy: the only time it's in a default state is from the factory.  Heck, do we even know if reseting the season is resetting team playbooks and whatnot?  Or are some people actually going to have an easier/harder time based on what some kid set up on their cart 25 years ago?  Hmmmm?  I don't really care either way, but I'm just saying....

You are 100% wrong about emulators:  the ROM image is identical, but the emulator executing the code is totally and completely different from a stock NES... 😛

Edited by Dr. Morbis

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Of course the ROM image is identical; but the device executing the code is different from an NES in every conceivable way.  The fact is, this game is like Final Fantasy: the only time it's in a default state is from the factory.  Heck, do we even know if reseting the season is resetting team playbooks and whatnot?  Or are some people actually going to have an easier/harder time based on what some kid set up on their cart 25 years ago?  Hmmmm?  I don't really care either way, but I'm just saying....

You are 100% wrong about emulators:  the ROM image is identical, but the emulator executing the code is totally and completely different from a stock NES... 😛

That is irrelevant to the question at hand.  It boots the ROM the same way the NES would.  A clean ROM with no save data is functionally identical to opening a factory sealed cart and plugging it into the system.  THAT IS HOW CODING WORKS. The only way the ROM would not boot to factory settings is if the ROM itself is altered.

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

That is irrelevant to the question at hand.  It boots the ROM the same way the NES would.  A clean ROM with no save data is functionally identical to opening a factory sealed cart and plugging it into the system.  THAT IS HOW CODING WORKS. The only way the ROM would not boot to factory settings is if the ROM itself is altered.

Or if the emulator on your 2022 pc doesn't execute code in an identical manner to a device designed and manufactured in the early 80's running parts (like the cpu crystal) that are from that time period.

But who cares!!!!  We don't need to be arguing about this, especially when one of us fucked up his emulator last week!!!!  Seriously, you fucked up your scores last week due to emulating issues, and now you're arguing with me about the tenets of emulating?!?!?!?!   WTF!!!!!!

Bea is going to come in at some point and pick your time and speed, since that's the easiest solution, so let's just move on.  Stop arguing about your sorry ass shit emulators and go play some basketball... 😛

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Or if the emulator on your 2022 pc doesn't execute code in an identical manner to a device designed and manufactured in the early 80's running parts (like the cpu crystal) that are from that time period.

But who cares!!!!  We don't need to be arguing about this, especially when one of us fucked up his emulator last week!!!!  Seriously, you fucked up your scores last week due to emulating issues, and now you're arguing with me about the tenets of emulating?!?!?!?!   WTF!!!!!!

Bea is going to come in at some point and pick your time and speed, since that's the easiest solution, so let's just move on.  Stop arguing about your sorry ass shit emulators and go play some basketball... 😛

Actually, my score was fucked up because I hit "reset" on the emulator instead of doing a power cycle.  If you do what I did on a console, it would do the exact same thing until a power cycle was done.  It wasn't an emulator issue, it was an issue with how the game was programmed to run.  Jesus, you're just never fucking happy are you?  Do what I said - pull the battery from your cart, and THEN tell me I'm wrong.  For fuck sakes dude, get your head out of your arse.

Actually, my score was fucked up because I hit "reset" on the emulator instead of doing a power cycle.  If you do what I did on a console, it would do the exact same thing until a power cycle was done.  It wasn't an emulator issue, it was an issue with how the game was programmed to run.

Actually it was an emulator issue.  Pro tip: stock NES's don't have cheat codes 😉  What happened to you last week would be literally impossible on an unmodified NES with an unmodified cart.... Hmmmm.....

And I already told you that Bea is going to pick your time and speed, so enough with the "emulators are identical to NES's" mantra; just put down the flag and play some basketball.... 😛

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Actually it was an emulator issue.  Pro tip: stock NES's don't have cheat codes 😉  What happened to you last week would be literally impossible on an unmodified NES with an unmodified cart.... Hmmmm.....

And I already told you that Bea is going to pick your time and speed, so enough with the "emulators are identical to NES's" mantra; just put down the flag and play some basketball.... 😛

I entered a cheat code that exists on the cartridge...how is that not possible on an unmodified NES?  Plug in the cart, input the cheat, and it'll do exactly what happened to me.  But what do I know, I'm not you...

I entered a cheat code that exists on the cartridge...how is that not possible on an unmodified NES?  Plug in the cart, input the cheat, and it'll do exactly what happened to me.  But what do I know, I'm not you...

I wouldn't know; I don't "try out" cheat codes... 😉

...nor do I "play NES" on a modern day computer with a modern day controller... 😉

Apples and oranges, my friend, and that was the whole point I was trying to make... 😛

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

I wouldn't know; I don't "try out" cheat codes... 😉

...nor do I "play NES" on a modern day computer with a modern day controller... 😉

Apples and oranges, my friend, and that was the whole point I was trying to make... 😛

Point remains, you said it's impossible, where it's clearly possible.  But what do I know, I'm just dog shit anyway.

5 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Point remains, you said it's impossible, where it's clearly possible.  But what do I know, I'm just dog shit anyway.

What I'm saying is "impossible" is whatever clusterfuck you came up with on your shitty emulator that made you have to replay Pipe Dream.  If you would just dig out your ENTIRE LIBRARY OF 800 NES CARTS, and then play them on an actual NES, maybe that wouldn't have happened... maybe....  but I don't know how we got to this point.  I'm tired and going to bed.  I'll summarize our sides, and that will be that:

YOU: believe NES emulators are identical to real NES's and love "playing NES" on your PC

I: hold the opposite view on both points.

There, g'night 🙂

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

What I'm saying is "impossible" is whatever clusterfuck you came up with on your shitty emulator that made you have to replay Pipe Dream.  If you would just dug out your ENTIRE LIBRARY OF 800 NES CARTS, and then play them on an actual NES, maybe that wouldn't have happened... maybe....  but I don't know how we got to this point.  I'm tired and going to bed.  I'll summarize our sides, and that will be that:

YOU: believe NES emulators are identical to real NES's and love "playing NES" on your PC

I: hold the opposite view on both points.

There, g'night 🙂

There you go making assumptions about it.  I never once said it's identical. I said it's functionally identical for these purposes.  And I don't love playing it on my PC, it's a matter of convenience when my entire world is in flux, and has been for two goddamn years, with no end in sight.  Fuck, I'm really regretting not jumping off that bridge.

Let's be realistic @Dr. Morbis, I've been in a suicidal depression since it became clear I had to move back to this shithole.  I'm not happy, and one of the few joys in my life is gaming, in any form.  And even that is not helping ease the pain all that much anymore.  I honestly don't know why I haven't just ended it already, aside from being too much of a goddamn pussy to go through with it...likely because knowing my luck I'd just survive, like my uncle did when he decided to end it by taking a shotgun to the face, blowing half of it off and surviving it.  And there ain't nothing worse than trying to end your failure of a life only to realize that you failed in that too.

Well I don't know how the fuck things devolved to the point of your last few posts.... all I was trying to say is that I didn't care how your emulator was behaving regarding "default" basketball times and speeds and that I was going to wait for Bea's ruling.... that's all!!!!!!!  How the fuck did it turn into this......................??????  I'm just saying I'm waiting for a ruling and don't trust emulators.... THAT'S IT!!!!! 

WTF!!!!!

It turned into this because my brain ain't wired right, and I end up taking stupid shit personally.  No ill will.  That said, the ROM is not the emulator, so the fact that it's coded to default to those settings should be enough evidence, regardless of what is used to run the code.  It is, after all, the exact same code.

9 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

The rev a has different coding and stats it much easier to win I just beat the knicks by 25 on my first try.

Funny, all I can find is some modifications to player bios:

https://tcrf.net/Tecmo_NBA_Basketball

Sounds like a pretty minor adjustment to me...the only thing that should be showing up in your game is Brian Shaw's number being changed from #20 to #22.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Funny, all I can find is some modifications to player bios:

https://tcrf.net/Tecmo_NBA_Basketball

Sounds like a pretty minor adjustment to me...the only thing that should be showing up in your game is Brian Shaw's number being changed from #20 to #22.

Consider yourself worm’d

• Haha 1

Blew a 24 point lead - had you in my sights @Dr. Morbis!  wiz is right. Golden state is the way to go. Only game I played as them, easy win. Played plenty as boston and couldnt beat charlotte but once. That boston team was legendary! Bird, Parrish, championships. No respect from tecmo. Bird was blowing easy shots! Bird!

+17

20220424_180149.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Haha 1

Okay, so this game only managed a 42 point spread, so not enough to matter for me (though it's my best game with Golden State), but I noticed something odd on the stats page that I figure I would share...how does one go 1-0 on three pointers???

20220424_163742.thumb.jpg.47ca2a78aa6ec148d1cf1a881ddd6470.jpg

Seriously, how does one get credited with a three pointer that they didn't take???

EDIT: It also broke the league leaders page!

20220424_164314.jpg.7293d05d78d110a01a40a46fac2f2b39.jpg

So I played another game and Mullin went 1-1 on three pointers in the game (insane, since according to the stats he's only a .364 3pt shooter), so now he's 2 for 1 on threes, and the game has his overall 3pt% at 2.000 😛  Kinda neat to me how the game factors in a workaround for dividing by zero after the first game, though I still kinda wanna know how that could've happened in the first place...

Further edit: Something just dawned on me...in the first game I had taken, and made, a three pointer, but fouled on the play.  I'm wondering if the game took away the attempt because of the foul, but forgot to scratch the fact that he made the shot?  That could explain how he went 1 for 0...

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 2