IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TECMO BASKETBALL!

BeaIank

15 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

The problem with basketball games on the NES is that they never had a truly great one. Baseball had Baseball Stars, football had Tecmo Super Bowl, hockey had Blades of Steel. But the basketball games ranged from flawed but playable (this one, Double Dribble, maybe Roundball) to horrendous (Hoops, Harlem Globetrotters.)

Hey, I happen to like both Hoops and Harlem Globetrotters...

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

You like every horrible game, so that's not a shock. 😛

I also got them early on in my collecting days, meaning I actually played every game I acquired, meaning I have nostalgia for them, not to mention that with the limited resources my 15 year old ass had when I got them, I didn't get new games all the time.  Either I played and enjoyed what I had or I did nothing.

43 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@the_wizard_666 mutombo was more a defensive guy so he probably wouldn’t light it up in the scoring.

anyway it’s cool you like this game. It’s not bad for an nes game. I’ll agree with the cons, flicker and the cursor is the worst I’ve thrown backcourt and ran out of bounds more than a handful of times because of it.

nba live 96 is my favorite nba game. @Reed Rothchild I’d love to see it on the snes lineup I guarantee I’d win.

Mutombo was one of the more frequent names I'd see on baskets, so it did make a bit of a difference.  That said, I did notice they were even more defensively inept than usual that game 😛

2 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I also got them early on in my collecting days, meaning I actually played every game I acquired, meaning I have nostalgia for them, not to mention that with the limited resources my 15 year old ass had when I got them, I didn't get new games all the time.  Either I played and enjoyed what I had or I did nothing.

I get it. I actually have nostalgia for Pipe Dream. 🙂

Objectively, though, basketball on the NES was pretty mediocre. It wasn't until the NBA Jam games got home ports that console basketball games came into their own.

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

I get it. I actually have nostalgia for Pipe Dream. 🙂

Objectively, though, basketball on the NES was pretty mediocre. It wasn't until the NBA Jam games got home ports that console basketball games came into their own.

I'd agree.  Honestly, most sports games on the NES were mediocre at best, unless they were highly arcade-like.  Simulations didn't really pick up until EA's 16 bit sports games.

4 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I'd agree.  Honestly, most sports games on the NES were mediocre at best, unless they were highly arcade-like.  Simulations didn't really pick up until EA's 16 bit sports games.

True, although there were a couple of standouts. The three I mentioned, Racket Attack, Famicom's Family Tennis, and a few others. Basketball just never had the standout.

Edited by Tulpa

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Look at @the_wizard_666 learning how/when/why to use timeouts in a basketball game 🙂 

possession, momentum and clock management.

I've never really liked basketball...only figured it out because the computer would do it, and I was like "oh yeah, I can do that too asshole" 😛  I'm assuming it isn't usually done when you have over a 20 point lead on the opponent with 30 seconds to go, but I don't care 😛

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

@the_wizard_666 not too many participants so far eh?

Sadly not.  I'm guessing because they all figure @0xDEAFC0DE is gonna break the game so there's no point in competing.  But at this rate, your two points is gonna give you 16 in the standings, so you'd think someone would post something 😛

Managed to pull off a win with Chicago finally (a team that wasn't Golden State...trying to mix it up a bit).  Gotta say though, they're absolute garbage outside of Jordan and Pippin...like, everyone else is slow as hell, and they pretty much suck on D, at least compared to what I'm used to.  Also, is anyone else getting frustrated about the AI being absolute garbage on D?  Like a guy will literally just stand there while the opponent runs around him to shoot.  Like completely inept all around.  But yeah, definitely not into trying another Chicago game, as it was straight up frustration for me. 

And now I think I found a team I gel better with than Golden State...San Antonio wiped the floor with Dallas on the first game I ever loaded up with them.  Wonder if I'll be able to improve on that, since I seem to have come apart a bit in the second half (went into halftime leading 60-28).  Definitely digging the game overall though...may end up playing through a season after the competition is done.

Anyway, I think because of the variance in teams, I think if this gets played in the future, @BeaIank should pick the matchup to use, in order to bring more parity to the competition.  It may be a bit late now to change things for this time around, but it's pretty obvious this isn't like a black box game where the two teams are always equal...

9 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

And now I think I found a team I gel better with than Golden State...San Antonio wiped the floor with Dallas on the first game I ever loaded up with them.  Wonder if I'll be able to improve on that, since I seem to have come apart a bit in the second half (went into halftime leading 60-28).  Definitely digging the game overall though...may end up playing through a season after the competition is done.

Anyway, I think because of the variance in teams, I think if this gets played in the future, @BeaIank should pick the matchup to use, in order to bring more parity to the competition.  It may be a bit late now to change things for this time around, but it's pretty obvious this isn't like a black box game where the two teams are always equal...

Holy shit!  This forum rocks!  I was just thinking about how sick I am of having to scroll past your double-sized outdated signature (that you refused to change - even when asked by the guy that you quoted twice), but I just happened to notice this little "x" off to the side of it, and when I hovered over it, it read:  "ignore this user's signature?"  So long story short, this page of the thread is now literally half the length it once was, and more importantly,   I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! 😛

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Holy shit!  This forum rocks!  I was just thinking about how sick I am of having to scroll past your double-sized outdated signature (that you refused to change - even when asked by the guy that you quoted twice), but I just happened to notice this little "x" off to the side of it, and when I hovered over it, it read:  "ignore this user's signature?"  So long story short, this page of the thread is now literally half the length it once was, and more importantly,   I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! 😛

I just haven't got around to changing it.  I'm just lazy 😛

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I just haven't got around to changing it.  I'm just lazy 😛

...Or your location, but hey, why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?  Trust me, I know your life mantra 😉  No need to change it on my account anymore - I'm officially never going to see it again 🙂

On 4/19/2022 at 5:57 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

Hey, I happen to like both Hoops and Harlem Globetrotters...

Hoops is one of the most underrated sports games for the system. Tremendous if you get to know it. Go with bomber and jammer. 

@docile tapeworm, here is a winner for you. It is a tough game. Played some last night and tonight and wanted to break things at times. You should have recognized the way to restart the season based on the menus being exactly like tecmo super bowl! Thats why I never got into this game. Bought it, saw it appeared to be a basketnall version of tecmo super bowl, went crazy with excitement, and then couldnt make a layup. Getting more fun as I get it though. 

20220420_235013.jpg

• Like 1