IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TECMO BASKETBALL!

BeaIank

Damn @Krunch, someone needs practice 😮

Also, kinda surprised you took the Bulls after the entire discussion in the thread.  I found them to be pretty mediocre outside of Jordan and Pippin.  Since the game requires a solid team effort to do well, I feel like they're one of the worst teams to pick for this purpose.

EDIT: Well I see your problem while looking at the stats...stop shooting so many 3 pointers.  You'll miss more than you hit with them, and it almost always leads to two points the other way.  The passing game is much more important, just keep the ball moving and eventually someone will get within the paint.  That's assuming you don't just quickly transition.  Try to steal the ball as much as possible, and try and get in front of the shooter.  Blocks and steals aren't commonplace, but you can still disrupt the play a lot more that way.  Also, an attempted block can lead to an offensive foul, which will lead to getting the ball in the offensive zone.  The key to the game is defence and ball movement, and unlike Harlem Globetrotters you can't rely on three pointers.

Edited by the_wizard_666

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Damn @Krunch, someone needs practice 😮

Also, kinda surprised you took the Bulls after the entire discussion in the thread.  I found them to be pretty mediocre outside of Jordan and Pippin.  Since the game requires a solid team effort to do well, I feel like they're one of the worst teams to pick for this purpose.

EDIT: Well I see your problem while looking at the stats...stop shooting so many 3 pointers.  You'll miss more than you hit with them, and it almost always leads to two points the other way.  The passing game is much more important, just keep the ball moving and eventually someone will get within the paint.  That's assuming you don't just quickly transition.  Try to steal the ball as much as possible, and try and get in front of the shooter.  Blocks and steals aren't commonplace, but you can still disrupt the play a lot more that way.  Also, an attempted block can lead to an offensive foul, which will lead to getting the ball in the offensive zone.  The key to the game is defence and ball movement, and unlike Harlem Globetrotters you can't rely on three pointers.

Man, you are vastly over-estimating how much Krunch cares about this game.....

Anyway, time's up and I don't see any crazy-ass score from deafcode; does that mean the Sports category is up for grabs this year?  Hmmm... who wants it???

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Anyway, time's up and I don't see any crazy-ass score from deafcode; does that mean the Sports category is up for grabs this year?  Hmmm... who wants it???

This guy 😛

Seriously though, it's anyone's game...I haven't played any of the other games to any degree of competency, and I doubt I'm gonna be as good as the rest of the crowd at TSB.  Though I'm definitely gonna give it a solid effort.

I don’t think it really matters what team you play as. Askins put up 34 and 36 for me. I’d be surprised if he ever had a 30 point game.

i think the opponent has more to do with it. But at the same time I had guys scoring 20+ points on me who were not scorers irl.

Edited by docile tapeworm

11 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I don’t think it really matters what team you play as. Askins put up 34 and 36 for me. I’d be surprised if he ever had a 30 point game.

i think the opponent has more to do with it. But at the same time I had guys scoring 20+ points on me who were not scorers irl.

I do agree with that, insomuch as the guys I would expect to be my 30+ point guys are not scoring much.  I'm also finding I rarely top 30 points with an individual player, but I rarely have an individual player score less than 15 points either.  It's just straight up player skill.  I feel like the offensive stats don't make a huge difference, but you need solid defensive stats to do well.  But even then, it just doesn't seem to line up...Mullin, for example, has among the lowest blocking stats on Golden State's roster, yet he's leading in blocks by a wide margin for me at the moment (he's got almost 20 after four games, while nobody else has topped 5).  Thing is, he's almost always the guy that ends up closest to the net, so he's usually in the best position to block a shot, so his stats are getting skewed in that manner.  The weirdest one (looking at historical stats anyway) is Mario Elie, who currently leads the league in FG% with just under .900, yet his career best was .521 (go figure, it was 1991/92).  Tyrone Hill is my best 3 point guy by a mile, and yet his career average is 0.00 in both successes and attempts.  He almost never took a 3 point shot, and has no business being 8th in the league in scoring based on his <10 points per game career average.  Basically, the game makes zero sense, but it's fun to play regardless 😛

• Like 1

16 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

It matters what team you pick. Play as boston game 1 vs hornets. I got 1 win by a point in plenty of tries. GS i won game 1 by 17 points. Tried a few times after and didnt top that, but won easily each time. Wiz was right. Their d is stupidly favorable. Hardaway is insanely fast. If they miss or you get a steal, hes always good for easy fast break points. 

@the_wizard_666, I did nail the tip off last few games. If you haven't, press b once the second the ref moves his hand to throw the ball up. That screen isnt an animation. You have to hit jump before it goes to the court screen, or what appears to be the game screen

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 9:02 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I laughed at all this, it was not just internet lols, my attempt was pretty much a last ditch effort coz I was actually under the weather a bit over the weekend.  I just played with keyboard and did a single round.  I still know what you're saying Wiz, the 3's are so-so I was getting a few of them but then usually they'd get 2 points in return.  I was also really bad for straight up giving away the ball when I had it on the sidelines in their end, I did that a lot, so that's -2 every time basically.  Maybe there was an opportunity to get a good placement here.  But I don't know... this wasn't my game 😄

20 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

@the_wizard_666, I did nail the tip off last few games. If you haven't, press b once the second the ref moves his hand to throw the ball up. That screen isnt an animation. You have to hit jump before it goes to the court screen, or what appears to be the game screen

Yeah, I hit it a couple times too.  Haven't got the timing 100%, but I also like the guaranteed possession on the second and third periods rather than the first and fourth though, so I honestly don't try too hard to figure it out.  On a win, by the fourth quarter, my lead is enough that I don't particularly care whether I start with the ball or not, and I can get a steal roughly 50% of the time in the first quarter off the tip-off, so my inclination to win it is low 😛

1 minute ago, Krunch said:

I laughed at all this, it was not just internet lols, my attempt was pretty much a last ditch effort coz I was actually under the weather a bit over the weekend.  I just played with keyboard and did a single round.  I still know what you're saying Wiz, the 3's are so-so I was getting a few of them but then usually they'd get 2 points in return.  I was also really bad for straight up giving away the ball when I had it on the sidelines in their end, I did that a lot, so that's -2 every time basically.  Maybe there was an opportunity to get a good placement here.  But I don't know... this wasn't my game 😄

Yeah, it happens.  I feel like you'd like it if you gave it a solid attempt like I did...I'm actually gonna play out a season now and try to add it to my completion list, I liked it so much 😛  Considering I can't even watch a game of basketball without getting bored (I'd rather watch baseball or golf tbh), that says something 😛

1 minute ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, I hit it a couple times too.  Haven't got the timing 100%, but I also like the guaranteed possession on the second and third periods rather than the first and fourth though, so I honestly don't try too hard to figure it out.  On a win, by the fourth quarter, my lead is enough that I don't particularly care whether I start with the ball or not, and I can get a steal roughly 50% of the time in the first quarter off the tip-off, so my inclination to win it is low 😛

Yeah, it happens.  I feel like you'd like it if you gave it a solid attempt like I did...I'm actually gonna play out a season now and try to add it to my completion list, I liked it so much 😛  Considering I can't even watch a game of basketball without getting bored (I'd rather watch baseball or golf tbh), that says something 😛

It seemed pretty solid yeah and with some time in and with a real controller it could've been good.  I'm the same, I don't like watching basketball all that much, still a pretty good game though.  Pretty much seemed better than Double Dribble, but that didnt really surprise me either. I'm gonna pretty much just blame it on my sickness.  Pipe Dream was the true upset.  I practiced throughout the week just getting lazy 150K scores then tried one Saturday night and legit got the 700K+ first try.  I thought it would get me another silver, didn't even play more.  But you tapped into it, I think we were doing the same thing, just playing it out patiently and doing fairly good on most levels.    I wasn't getting like suuuper insane bonuses, but I could curl pretty good and keep it alive for a while, my highest bonus point value on a single level was just over 100K.  I wasn't very good at all at the bonus levels themselves though.

3 minutes ago, Krunch said:

It seemed pretty solid yeah and with some time in and with a real controller it could've been good.  I'm the same, I don't like watching basketball all that much, still a pretty good game though.  Pretty much seemed better than Double Dribble, but that didnt really surprise me either. I'm gonna pretty much just blame it on my sickness.  Pipe Dream was the true upset.  I practiced throughout the week just getting lazy 150K scores then tried one Saturday night and legit got the 700K+ first try.  I thought it would get me another silver, didn't even play more.  But you tapped into it, I think we were doing the same thing, just playing it out patiently and doing fairly good on most levels.    I wasn't getting like suuuper insane bonuses, but I could curl pretty good and keep it alive for a while, my highest bonus point value on a single level was just over 100K.  I wasn't very good at all at the bonus levels themselves though.

Yeah, I'm the same at Pipe Dream.  I got my score almost entirely on the main levels...I was a looping master 😆 The bonus levels though, I was lucky to get 5 pieces in a row.  If I was even passable at those, I might've been able to pull a @0xDEAFC0DE and max it out, as the game was stupidly easy for me.  As it was though, I was happy to get over a million and secure second.  And honestly, after my loss I played another 20 minutes or so to get the high scores on the other two modes just so I could put it on my beaten list and never have to play it again 😆  I really didn't like Pipe Dream...not one bit.  It's weird though, since I really should like it...I just found it too damn easy 😛

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, I'm the same at Pipe Dream.  I got my score almost entirely on the main levels...I was a looping master 😆 The bonus levels though, I was lucky to get 5 pieces in a row.  If I was even passable at those, I might've been able to pull a @0xDEAFC0DE and max it out, as the game was stupidly easy for me.  As it was though, I was happy to get over a million and secure second.  And honestly, after my loss I played another 20 minutes or so to get the high scores on the other two modes just so I could put it on my beaten list and never have to play it again 😆  I really didn't like Pipe Dream...not one bit.  It's weird though, since I really should like it...I just found it too damn easy 😛

Yeah on the bonus levels I only managed to get one loop, I wish I could say it was more but I'm pretty certain it wasn't.  10K each and it probably stacks im guessing?   Anyway I was different, I really liked the game.  I'm a sucker for this theme though.  I held on to a CIB of it for a bit but I think I sold it.  It might be around here somewhere though honestly 😅

• The topic was unpinned