IGNORED

Limited Run Games

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

Interesting! I take it they were given access to the design files to produce them to spec right? 

Presumably. The carts feel a bit off and the later releases (ljn) have those horrible labels that were peeling and fading before anyone even opened the box. They also used those cheap white cardboard boxes for later releases.

Edited by DoctorEncore

These games are

1)NOT made illegally

2)NOT distributed illegally

3)NOT sold illegally

Therefore, these games are not nor were ever bootlegs. I have noticed from the beginning, there was always some "fuss" (for lack of a better term) among collectors regarding such games. As far as I can tell the main impetus seems to be either that people are worried that these "special releases" of classic and hard-to-find games will drive down the price of their original games, which is certainly a possibility. Or that some collectors just have OCD, or a combination of both. 

I think it was a missed opportunity to release these for the Sega CD and not modern consoles, but honestly I'm sure these will sell out so from a marketing perspective this is good business for LRG and I can't blame them. 

Screenshot from 2020-02-25 16-27-53.png

On 2/24/2020 at 12:18 PM, Code Monkey said:

Reproduction has no reference to licensing. It simply means a game was once produced and is now reproduced, either lawfully or unlawfully.

In a vacuum yes, but in the retro gaming community "repro" is the term most often used when discussing bootlegs, typically small scale amateur productions. @TDIRunner was on point.

Furthermore I'd classify the Sega CD version as a reissue since it's not using the original design.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Unrelated to the on going conversation above, but something I think is important. It appears that the page on Mighty Rabbit Studios Forum (owned by LRG) that used to reveal the number produced for each game is no longer there and only gives an error. So it may not be possible to get that information anymore.

Hasn’t the whole forum been down for awhile? And LRG said they don’t know why.... I read something like that but they use to get flamed on their own forum so I don’t doubt they took it down. They’ve wanted to for awhile to move everyone to Discord

On 2/24/2020 at 12:01 AM, avatar! said:

Secret of Monkey Island is amazing!

If LRG was releasing the remastered (or whatever you want to call it version) on the PS4/Switch, I would be all over it! As it stands... it's cool, but I won't be purchasing it. Same for Rebel Assault. I would like to add, that Monkey Island was released on physical disc in Europe, including the UK, for the Xbox 360. In this instance, it IS playable on NTSC consoles! So, if you still have a 360 and have never played Monkey Island, do yourself a favor and purchase the physical version which is fully orchestrated, narrated, and it also includes the remastered version of LeChuck’s Revenge - oh, and in both games you can seamlessly switch from "classic" graphics to the updated versions and the same for music! 

Currently, the only game I am interested in from LRG is Myst which I think will be lovely.

91N5TVB0KiL._SY445_.jpg

Thanks for the tip on this! The X360 version is in the mail..... and much preferred over a re-release. 

FYI the owner of LRG said or alluded to rather on his Twitter that they are trying to remake Keio Flying Squadron. 

Edited by Mr. CIB

Anyone else play the Blind Box lottery in the 2020 Blowout sale? I got my blind boxes today (10 of em) and I'm pretty happy with the result. I got my first ever gold foil cards (1 for Freedom Planet, which will replace my silver foil card, 2 for Giga Wrecker Alt, I didn't have that one so will be keeping one, and 1 for Battle Garegga which is a PS4 game so won't be keeping it) and then got a bunch of different games, most that I didn't have already. Funny part is I had ordered PixelJunk Monsters 2 separately from the blind boxes (for $39.99, so $10 more than a blind box) and it didn't come with the right card, and then one of the blind boxes also has this game and I STILL didn't get a card for it in any of the boxes. Whew. But the big win is I got Dragon's Lair Trilogy which was on my want list. I will probably let go of all the other games, even though most I didn't already have, they are just not on my wantlist. 

38 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Anyone else play the Blind Box lottery in the 2020 Blowout sale? I got my blind boxes today (10 of em) and I'm pretty happy with the result. I got my first ever gold foil cards (1 for Freedom Planet, which will replace my silver foil card, 2 for Giga Wrecker Alt, I didn't have that one so will be keeping one, and 1 for Battle Garegga which is a PS4 game so won't be keeping it) and then got a bunch of different games, most that I didn't have already. Funny part is I had ordered PixelJunk Monsters 2 separately from the blind boxes (for $39.99, so $10 more than a blind box) and it didn't come with the right card, and then one of the blind boxes also has this game and I STILL didn't get a card for it in any of the boxes. Whew. But the big win is I got Dragon's Lair Trilogy which was on my want list. I will probably let go of all the other games, even though most I didn't already have, they are just not on my wantlist. 

I did but haven't got them yet. I've done it every year since they started and I always get cards that don't match up. Today I was actually thinking of starting to skip most releases and order the max amount at the Blowout Sale. Tried of paying for pre-orders and now getting most items in a timely fashion.

6 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

I did but haven't got them yet. I've done it every year since they started and I always get cards that don't match up. Today I was actually thinking of starting to skip most releases and order the max amount at the Blowout Sale. Tried of paying for pre-orders and now getting most items in a timely fashion.

Let’s compare card lists when you get them, maybe we can trade some!

• Like 1

I ordered one Vita Blind box, but I also ordered another game along with it, so that might delay my shipment.  I was never a fan of their large postcards that they gave out in the early years, but I really like the smaller trading cards since they are easy to store in card sleeves.  I've only received one gold card over the years and that's the only one I decided to sell.  As much as I like the cards, they aren't something I'm willing to pay money for and if I end up with one that's worth money, I figure I might as well sell it to fund other game purchases.  But I do enjoy looking at them when they are all stored in a binder.  

On 2/25/2020 at 5:49 PM, Mr. CIB said:

Thanks for the tip on this! The X360 version is in the mail..... and much preferred over a re-release. 

FYI the owner of LRG said or alluded to rather on his Twitter that they are trying to remake Keio Flying Squadron. 

You're welcome, it's pretty sweet! One of the few 360 games I plan to keep. 

I am totally all in favor of releasing remakes of obscure Sega CD games and other such games that never made it to the USA! Just DO NOT release it for the Sega CD... seriously, how many people have a working Sega CD!

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

You're welcome, it's pretty sweet! One of the few 360 games I plan to keep. 

I am totally all in favor of releasing remakes of obscure Sega CD games and other such games that never made it to the USA! Just DO NOT release it for the Sega CD... seriously, how many people have a working Sega CD!

Would be nice if it was like, there's one version for Sega CD, one for PS4 and one for Switch. Would be nice. 

Why not just reprint the PC original rather than make a bootleg. PC version is probably worth about as much, if not more than the SEGA CD version, you don't need any extra authorization beyond the Disney thing, and most important of all, it's not an inferior port of Monkey Island. I know the Star wars game is near worthless on PC, but it's not like the SEGA CD version is all that better, CIB copies are still a good deal less than what they want for the bootleg.

9 hours ago, Californication said:

Blasphemous. I found one for $77 before CA sales tax. It's gotta comle down to $50 at some point though.

Yeah, decent chance. Also with LRG there's a chance that if you wait long enough it will show up in the 2021 Blowout Sale and people will unload copies for $35-ish. That's how I finally got Flinthook. 

Also this is how I felt about Evoland, didn't preorder for some reason and it ends up shooting up to $100+ even though apparently the Switch port is super buggy and the reviews weren't stellar. Guess I'm passing on that one. 

14 hours ago, Californication said:

Blasphemous. I found one for $77 before CA sales tax. It's gotta comle down to $50 at some point though.

I'm in the same boat.  I skipped it because I thought it was coming to BB.  Oops!  Oh well, I will find it later at some point.  I stopped blindly buying LRG, but I wanted that one.