IGNORED

Limited Run Games

23 minutes ago, Fleck586 said:

I'm in the same boat.  I skipped it because I thought it was coming to BB.  Oops!  Oh well, I will find it later at some point.  I stopped blindly buying LRG, but I wanted that one.

Yeah at some point Best Buy quietly stopped buying their releases. I think they got tired of having to put their stock on sale just to get it cleared. 

10 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I havent paid attention in a year or so to LRG. Is the earlier stuff still collectable? Or I am stuck unloading shit at retail?

ps hit me up if you are after any of the first 20 or so releases. 

Yeah, most of the early stuff is still worth a decent amount, especially from established franchises like Oddworld and Shantae. 

I thought I'd share something interesting I came across in the latest issue of Retrogamer magazine. The magazine featured Josh Fairhurst (co-founder of LRG) in their monthly Collector Corner segment. The segment included a few pics and blurbs of the gems of his collection. One of his personal gems was a copy of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties for the 3DO. Josh was quoted as saying that LRG tried to reprint that game, but the rights surrounding Plumbers is a mess.

Edited by Teh_Lurv
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I havent paid attention in a year or so to LRG. Is the earlier stuff still collectable? Or I am stuck unloading shit at retail?

ps hit me up if you are after any of the first 20 or so releases. 

I'm guessing not retail for most of it, but some of it probably isn't collectible like it once was. Post a list of what you have for sale.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Teh_Lurv said:

I thought I'd share something interesting I came across in the latest issue of Retrogamer magazine. The magazine featured Josh Fairhurst (co-founder of LRG) in their monthly Collector Corner segment. The segment included a few pics and blurbs of the gems of his collection. One of his personal gems was a copy of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties for the 3DO. Josh was quoted as saying that LRG tried to reprint that game, but the rights surrounding Plumbers is a mess.

That's super funny, and not surprising given the ports of Night Trap and Double Switch.

16 hours ago, avatar! said:

I'm guessing not retail for most of it, but some of it probably isn't collectible like it once was. Post a list of what you have for sale.

image.thumb.jpg.072bd16804eb94eeb6083f4ab2b4b086.jpg
image.thumb.jpg.2abb56986ccfe3df9d56825be89d2219.jpg

Sorry for the shitty pictures, if anyone is interested please PM me so we don’t clutter up this thread. (I have all the cards too)

1 hour ago, kuriatsu said:

I found some limited run games in my local best buy.

I don't remember what they were specifically...something about time travel in one of the games, and celeste was one of them...

Are limited run games worth getting if found in the wild such as at a best buy?

It depends on the game. If its something you want to play then sure. 

I dont think anything “collectible” ends up at best buy (I may be wrong though, havent been collecting them for a while now). 

Made decent money on the early releases ive sold though, but that was a year ago probably. 

14 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I dont think anything “collectible” ends up at best buy (I may be wrong though, havent been collecting them for a while now). 

The Best Buy variants of the LRG releases have unique cover art and [edit: some] are limited to 5000 copies each. In most cases, the Best Buy print is more limited than the LRG print. For example, LRG printed 33k 22k copies of Celeste while the Best Buy variant was limited to 5k 8k. 

However, LRG sells the Best Buy variant cover art inserts (just the inserts) on their website. So, if you open a Best Buy copy, it isn’t really special anymore. But if people don’t buy many of the Best Buy cover art inserts direct from LRG, then those covers may eventually be rare in their own right. And obviously, if you keep a Best Buy variant copy sealed, then it’s rare. 

only thing is, the Switch collectors haven’t figured this out yet. So it’s not a quick flip.

Edited by MiamiSlice
Some of my numbers were wrong as pointed out by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

The Best Buy variants of the LRG releases have unique cover art and are limited to 5000 copies each. In some cases, the Best Buy print is more limited than the LRG print. For example, LRG printed 33k copies of Celeste while the Best Buy variant was limited to 5k. 

however, LRG sells the Best Buy variant cover art inserts (just the inserts) on their website. So, if you open a Best Buy copy, it isn’t really special anymore. But if people don’t buy many of the Best Buy cover art inserts, then those covers may eventually be rare in their own right. And obviously, if you keep a Best Buy variant copy sealed, then it’s rare. 

only thing is, the Switch collectors haven’t figured this out yet. So it’s not a quick flip.

I've been considering picking up momodora and celeste, if they're unique covers, I may pick them up sooner than later. (naturally I'd probably keep them sealed)

Thank you for the information.

edit: I picked them up tonight. both I hope are in great condition for a sealed game.

Edited by kuriatsu

9 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

The Best Buy variants of the LRG releases have unique cover art and are limited to 5000 copies each. In some cases, the Best Buy print is more limited than the LRG print. For example, LRG printed 33k copies of Celeste while the Best Buy variant was limited to 5k. 

however, LRG sells the Best Buy variant cover art inserts (just the inserts) on their website. So, if you open a Best Buy copy, it isn’t really special anymore. But if people don’t buy many of the Best Buy cover art inserts direct from LRG, then those covers may eventually be rare in their own right. And obviously, if you keep a Best Buy variant copy sealed, then it’s rare. 

That’s wild I did not know that. 

I think I sold one breach and clear for the vita for 300$ when it was full hype mode

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

however, LRG sells the Best Buy variant cover art inserts (just the inserts) on their website. So, if you open a Best Buy copy, it isn’t really special anymore. But if people don’t buy many of the Best Buy cover art inserts direct from LRG, then those covers may eventually be rare in their own right. And obviously, if you keep a Best Buy variant copy sealed, then it’s rare. 

I'm almost positive they were never limited to 5,000. Maybe certain ones were that low but when LRG still posted their production numbers there were plenty of titles that had larger Best Buy runs. Too bad NA databases are gone as I had that info recorded for each of them on there.

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I'm almost positive they were never limited to 5,000. Maybe certain ones were that low but when LRG still posted their production numbers there were plenty of titles that had larger Best Buy runs. Too bad NA databases are gone as I had that info recorded for each of them on there.

Some were 5000 but to your point some were more. When they announced the partnership with Yooka Laylee they said the combined print run was 25k and that for another game BB only ordered 5k. And that BB would only ever get one order per game. https://nintendosoup.com/limited-run-games-receives-violent-threats-over-best-buy-partnership/

I will double check my numbers for Celeste.

Here’s one guide that says Yooka Laylee was 12k/12k, Celeste was 22k/8k and other games were only 5k for the Best Buy version: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FzM2-GlzQikgn1STjVYk8BekWrwLw1qsjYcc9spZ7Hc/htmlview

A while back I recall seeing a forum post with more numbers but now I can’t find it 😕

Edited by MiamiSlice

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Here’s one guide that says Yooka Laylee was 12k/12k, Celeste was 22k/8k and other games were only 5k for the Best Buy version: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FzM2-GlzQikgn1STjVYk8BekWrwLw1qsjYcc9spZ7Hc/htmlview

A while back I recall seeing a forum post with more numbers but now I can’t find it 😕

Yea that seems more accurate. At first I thought you were saying ALL of the best buy versions were capped at 5k. I *think* they got a large number of Golf Story too

14 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

But if people don’t buy many of the Best Buy cover art inserts direct from LRG, then those covers may eventually be rare in their own right. And obviously, if you keep a Best Buy variant copy sealed, then it’s rare. 

8000 copies of something is rare now?

1 minute ago, MiamiSlice said:

Gotcha Force for GameCube is rare and I've been told it had a print run of like 20k. 

I know there's rare and then there's Stadium Events RARE but yeah

Rare and rare in bold letters is the same thing. If there are 20,000 copies then it isn't rare. I've had long discussions here about the term rare and we don't need to repeat all of that (since I would argue something with 100 copies isn't rare) but I think it can be unanimously agreed that a 20,000 print run can never be rare. Just because something is valuable does not make it rare.