IGNORED

Limited Run Games

7 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Are you trying to kill the game industry by stopping remakes of beloved 10 year old games?

Jokes aside, these remakes probably are part of what keeps physical media thriving.  The people wanting physical media are often those of us who are old enough to want to play games that we’ve seen delisted from eShops and know the “perils” of DLC that comes and disappears at the whim of corporate boards.

We’re the people that would potentially buy a +10 year old game, so you’re kind of right, depending on what part of the gaming industry you’re considering.

15 hours ago, avatar! said:

By the way, what are people's favorite 80s-inspired video games? The two I've really played and enjoyed are --

Infernax
Saturday Morning RPG

Retro City Rampage is high on my list, but the AVGN game probably steals my top spot. 

I missed out on the GBA Shantae on accident, wasn't happy with the puffed up price over what Shantae GBC did complete, but well life and time slipped on that one.  Whoever got it, hope you enjoy that one, seems I may just let it slide or go with Steam on that one.

Speaking of, since they have their own little NA fiefdom with it, any word on Valis Collection 3?

Edited by Tanooki

5 hours ago, xelement5x said:

Embracer moving people around, now LRG is a bunch of Hobbitses

Haha, nope, LRG is now actually coffee stains 😁

https://embracer.com/releases/embracer-group-announces-its-intention-to-transform-into-three-standalone-publicly-listed-entities-at-nasdaq-stockholm/

"Coffee Stain & Friends”, a diverse gaming entity with a dual focus on indie and A/AA premium and free-to-play games for PC/console and mobile, with a high degree of recurring revenues.

Nothing says "marketing" like uh, being "promoted" to coffee stain & friends

New Girl Fox GIF by HULU

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The Lara Croft Collection for Switch will be available this week for preorder.  

But MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY, they have also announced that the HD remaster for TR I-III is also coming to LRG.  That is amazing news.  Now they just need to announce a physical version of the Dark Forces remaster.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/all-games/products/switch-limited-run-236-the-lara-croft-collection

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

The Lara Croft Collection for Switch will be available this week for preorder.  

But MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY, they have also announced that the HD remaster for TR I-III is also coming to LRG.  That is amazing news.  Now they just need to announce a physical version of the Dark Forces remaster.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/all-games/products/switch-limited-run-236-the-lara-croft-collection

Super cool! Also, the Evercade is releasing the first three Tomb Raider games in one cartridge. It will be the original PS1 version. Does anyone know if the HD remaster includes the ability to go back to the original PS1 graphics?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm up for this! Also announced is Animal Well, the first game from Big Mode. And I'm really hoping for news on Hi-Fi Rush some time soon. Hopefully it didn't get canceled after Microsoft shut down Tango.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, avatar! said:

Does anyone know if the HD remaster includes the ability to go back to the original PS1 graphics?

Yes, you can switch between remaster and original graphics with the push of a button (Option button on PS4, not sure on other systems).  This can be done during cutscenes as well.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm up for this! Also announced is Animal Well, the first game from Big Mode. And I'm really hoping for news on Hi-Fi Rush some time soon. Hopefully it didn't get canceled after Microsoft shut down Tango.

Funny, I just read this on Hi-Fir Rush --

After a year of Xbox execs celebrating Hi-Fi Rush as a "break out hit" and saying "we don't quit" on games like Redfall, everyone wants to know what changed

https://www.gamesradar.com/games/action/after-a-year-of-xbox-execs-celebrating-hi-fi-rush-as-a-break-out-hit-and-saying-we-dont-quit-on-games-like-redfall-everyone-wants-to-know-what-changed/

Earlier today, Microsoft confirmed it was shutting down a number of studios, including Hi-Fi Rush developer Tango Gameworks and Redfall developer Arkane Austin. Now, players, journalists, and industry figures are looking back on the celebratory comments Xbox executives have been making about both games over the past year and wondering what's changed.

Xbox marketing VP Aaron Greenberg was quick to push back on those reports at the time, saying that "Hi-Fi RUSH was a break out hit for us and our players in all key measurements and expectations. We couldn’t be happier with what the team at Tango Gameworks delivered with this surprise release."

It's now clear that Xbox could perhaps have been a bit happier with Tango, and Greenberg's tweet in particular is getting raked over the coals in light of the studio's shutdown and all the developers now left looking for work. 

I mean, it IS the Xbone executives at work, what did people expect?

Editorials Team · Posted

Again makes me think of the book Press Reset, where it's laid out that these teams are basically contractors, and that the AAAs have realized they don't want to pay salaries for teams that do not have anything immediately in the pipeline or that's gonna deliver a return.

Really makes it look like a line of work to avoid at all costs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Again makes me think of the book Press Reset, where it's laid out that these teams are basically contractors, and that the AAAs have realized they don't want to pay salaries for teams that do not have anything immediately in the pipeline or that's gonna deliver a return.

As you know, I've been very critical of AAA games, and I don't blame the developers and other workers, it's always the higher-up executives which are completely out of touch. I think the Xbone is a special case because they blew their good will after the 360. I know they backtracked and now the system does not always have to be online, but the damage was done long ago and the fact that the Xbone really doesn't have any particularly exciting exclusives makes it a rather undesirable system in my opinion. I just looked, at Xbone exclusive games I would play and here is the list --

Hi-Fi Rush

Editorials Team · Posted

Yeah, I would say this problem is endemic to the entire industry at this point, and will likely only get worse.  These studios will be shut down or spun up as needed, which is just awful for the peons.

Except, maybe it's not as bad in Japan.  Nintendo doesn't do anything like this as far as I know.

9 hours ago, avatar! said:

I just looked, at Xbone exclusive games I would play and here is the list --

Hi-Fi Rush

It was released on PS5 earlier this year.

Same time LRG announced they were doing a physical.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Well from my understanding, there's no makes it look like, they ARE contractors.  Unless it's a massive studio that does their own work internally entirely, what is being done are teams are put together, third parties to third parties to do the games for them and has been since decades back.  When I was at Midway we would make a build of a game for the PS2, then hire contractors to make the other two games and basically be a guiding hand.  If they fell behind there were chasitizing moments, or financial retribution of some sort, and the game being sliced etc to fit expectation of time.  My brother still is in the industry, a producer, and it's a massive company you don't see the name of usually, but they have many teams under them, and they're third parties to them being the direct third party to the hardware guys. They run a more unique ship where they don't fiddle around and walk a tightrope of one fail equals implosion, but the concept is there, they just don't budget incompetently and stick to AAA or death mentality.  One of their entities at the time was 505 Games, so they'd handle Bloodstained (the SOTN wannabe) but also that Fightclub mobile/web/physical card game too under another wing.

The issue is these AAA twits run nasty budgets well out of sane reality, bank the hopes of keeping on time and 'hah' budget thinking they'll be so great in their greatness they can move 5M units and come out a win.  Problem is, that often doesn't happen, and you get the sheer moments of pure arrogance like when Tomb Raider came back in the PS3 era and SquareEnix shit all over the franchise and game buyers dunking on a game selling just like 3M copies as a failure because it wasn't massively profitable and cost them money.  I'm sorry but hey, if you sell 3M games and can't pull a profit, F off basically, you're doing it wrong.  Clowning acts like this is why indie games arrived, and while indie maybe the wrong term for it now because of the decade plus of results since, the sentiment is the same.  Smaller teams, smaller budgets, keep to task, keep to a time line, and do something great that doesn't require a 1000 people and summer hollywood blockbuster budget.  Sooner they learn that, things will improve.

• Like 1

The Tomb Raider Remasters are officially listed on Limited Run Games this morning.  I'm definitely going to order that one.  

But I'm torn on the Collector's Edition.  I've been a customer of LRG since the very beginning, but I've never ordered a single CE from them, mainly because the games aren't meaningful enough to me, I don't want to pay the extra money, and I don't want the extra stuff.  The only extra items I ever care about are soundtracks, and art related items like art books, or trading cards.  Because of the nostalgia I have for the original Tomb Raider, this game falls under the category of games I care enough about to consider a CE, and the CE comes with a soundtrack, trading cards, and a map book, all of which sound great to me.  But it also comes with action figures and replica guns in a shadowbox, all of which are bulky items that take up space and I would have no desire to display.  It's also $200, which is a bit much, so I will end up probably passing.  I wish they had a smaller "Special Edition" with only the smaller items I am interested in.  I need to see if I can find the soundtrack separately from another source.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

The Tomb Raider Remasters are officially listed on Limited Run Games this morning.  I'm definitely going to order that one.  

But I'm torn on the Collector's Edition.  I've been a customer of LRG since the very beginning, but I've never ordered a single CE from them, mainly because the games aren't meaningful enough to me, I don't want to pay the extra money, and I don't want the extra stuff.  The only extra items I ever care about are soundtracks, and art related items like art books, or trading cards.  Because of the nostalgia I have for the original Tomb Raider, this game falls under the category of games I care enough about to consider a CE, and the CE comes with a soundtrack, trading cards, and a map book, all of which sound great to me.  But it also comes with action figures and replica guns in a shadowbox, all of which are bulky items that take up space and I would have no desire to display.  It's also $200, which is a bit much, so I will end up probably passing.  I wish they had a smaller "Special Edition" with only the smaller items I am interested in.  I need to see if I can find the soundtrack separately from another source.  

I totally hear you. I would honestly advice you to purchase the expensive CE, open it up and get the stuff you want -- for it's primarily the soundtrack. Then sell the other stuff. That's really the best you can do. On occasion you will see people do the same thing, open up the CE and sell stuff individually, but they usually charge ridiculous prices for the soundtrack. I mean, anywhere from $50-200 for just the soundtrack, which is asinine.

Tomb-Raider-Mock-Up-Market-Banner-CE-End

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 3:44 PM, TDIRunner said:

Just a heads-up - similar to Shredder's Revenge and so on, LRG are just doing distro on this one, it's not published by them. It's getting a wide retail release, and can already be preordered on Amazon.

I think I'll just pick it up locally when it drops in September, and dodge the massive price overhead of shopping from LRG, while probably getting it earlier as well 😅

Edited by Sumez

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

Just a heads-up - similar to Shredder's Revenge and so on, LRG are just doing distro on this one, it's not published by them. It's getting a wide retail release, and can already be preordered on Amazon.

I think I'll just pick it up locally when it drops in September, and dodge the massive price overhead of shopping from LRG, while probably getting it earlier as well 😅

I knew about it not being an numbered release.  The price seems to be the same regardless of the seller, and my recent LRG purchases have been arriving very quickly.  One interesting thing I've noticed in the past day is that there is another version called Deluxe Edition that LRG isn't selling.  That version includes fewer items than the CE, but also costs less.  Unfortunately, no physical soundtrack in the Deluxe Edition.  Maybe at some point, the soundtrack will be sold separately.  But at this point, I think I've decided I'm getting the physical copy only.