IGNORED

The 2021 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Events Helper · Posted

Now that @Murray spilled the beans.......

I beat the heck outta Earthbound.  This game is now up on the top of my list as one of my favorites......dare I say a top ten @Reed Rothchild 😒

I went in playing blind on this rpg having never played it as a kid, but wanting to play it since the day that I seen saw it in a nintender power.

L3jO8kf.jpg

Edited by Jeevan
Thanks Gloves :unamused:
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Now that @Murray spilled the beans.......

I beat the heck outta Earthbound.  This game is now up on the top of my list as one of my favorites......dare I say a top ten @Reed Rothchild 😒

I went in playing blind on this rpg having never played it as a kid, but wanting to play it since the day that I seen it in a nintender power.

L3jO8kf.jpg

Since the day you SAW it... 

• Eyeroll 1

On 1/5/2021 at 10:56 PM, Webhead123 said:

Just finished Ghouls 'n Ghosts (GEN).

What a fantastic game! Unlike the NES and SNES titles, this one balances challenge and playability quite well. The game requires just enough of your time and attention to make it personal but doesn't get so aggressive with stiff controls and cheap deaths to make you give up. This is a game I'll probably revisit more regularly, now that I've given it enough time to settle in with me.

Feels good to finally check one of these games off my list, particularly one from this notoriously frustrating franchise.

I probably like SNES Super Ghouls n Ghosts the best. Graphics, music and level designs so good. Only real flaw is the slowdown. But Ghouls n Ghosts is the easiest and most accessible in the series. Both are light years better than Ghosts n Goblins on the NES.

I find Super Ghouls n Ghosts much easier than Ghouls n Ghosts. The latter took me an entire week of practice to beat (the proper 2-ALL way), and when I sat down to do the same to its sequel I got it down the day after. It does require practice of how to handle every stage of course, but once you get the down I find it much, much easier to consistently get through.

I beat Yakuza 4 today, and forgot to take a picture.

It's my first foray into the series, and I'm really split on it. Every single element that makes up the video game part of it is kinda shitty. All the minigames are really bad, and though the combat has good basics to it, it becomes absurdly repetitive super fast, and whenever it tries to be more challenging, it does so in super dumb and annoying ways.
Though at least the surprising approach they took for the final boss was pretty good. Ended up having to re-do that fight over and over because I didn't imagine I'd need Tanimura, and for the actual final showdown at that, so I hadn't packed him with any healing items, and had to learn how to handle each individual step of the fight perfectly.

I'm completely sold on the characters and the storytelling though. They really come alive, and the acting is superb. I'm glad they kept the original Japanese dub, because the scenes feel so much like a movie that any attempt to translate it to English would have come across incredibly goofy (see: the first PS2 game).
The story is super good for the first half of the game, but on the other hand the second half is super dumb, when every single character starts double crossing eachother again and again, and people who die don't actually die, etc. Someone who wrote the plot must have gone to the Kingdom Hearts school of unnecessary plot twists.

I'm hooked enough to seek out and play both 5, 0 and 6 before I eventually move on to Like a Dragon, though.

• Like 2

Honestly, Castlevania is one of the most consistently-awesome side-scrolling franchises ever made. I think every main game in the series is top-of-its-class up through SotN, although I admittedly stopped playing them after that, with the exception of Adventure: ReBirth. It's a shame Adventure: ReBirth apparently existed only as WiiWare and seems to be basically unobtainable now, because it was truly exceptional. I'm tempted to rank it my second favorite game in the series right behind Super Castlevania and fighting Castlevania III for the spot. Yes, it's that good (in my opinion).

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1