IGNORED

Which Next-Gen Console(s) Do You Plan on Purchasing? (Poll)

DoctorEncore

Which Next-Gen Console(s) Do You Plan on Purchasing? (Poll)  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Next-Gen Console(s) Do You Plan on Purchasing?

• PS5 Only
    • PS5 Digital Edition Only
    • PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition
    • Xbox Series X Only
    • Xbox Series S Only
    • Xbox Series X and Series S
    • PS5 and Xbox Series X
    • PS5 and Xbox Series S
    • PS5 Digital and Xbox Series X
    • PS5 Digital and Xbox Series S
    • None of the above. I don't plan on purchasing a next-gen console in the near future.

Where do your loyalties lie? Now that preorders are officially open (and essentially closed), it's time to expose the fanboy within us all.

I'm all-in for the chonky, plastic behemoths. Full fat PS5 and Series X for me. Hopefully my entertainment center doesn't collapse under the weight.

We'll leave the Switch Pro discussions for another day.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

PS5 a good few years down the line when the library has beefed up a bit. I don't plan on purchasing the Series X since I only purchase consoles for exclusives, and Microsoft isn't really known for having tons of great exclusives like Sony is. I might get Xbox Game Pass on PC at some point though, since that's a really good deal. I'll probably also get the Switch Pro whenever that comes out, depending on how much of an improvement it is over the original Switch.

25 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

I was lucky enough to secure a PS5 pre-order. Can't wait to get it

What did you pick for your games?  I'm guessing it's not like in the past where there was one clear "flagship" launch title like say, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Luigi's Mansion, Altered Beast...

I picked the Series S in the poll.  I like the All-Access idea that essentially makes it like a cell phone contract.  Eventually, I can see stepping up to the Series X.  I just got home from work and it looks like I missed the pre-orders by an hour!

I always get slim PSes, so I will wait a few years before considering the PS5.

Edited by Sumer

I think the question should be which Ninth Generation console will you get.  I probably will get the PS5 at some point (but remember how long it took me to finally get around to doing PS3/PS4...and I still have not started on the Switch) but right now I got waaaaaaay too much on my plate as far as say, my special PSIO Playstation (I'm working on Tales of Destiny at the moment) as well as my main reading projects (local newspaper archive and Brittanica yearbooks).

I'm in no hurry or the Switch or PS5.  None whatsoever.  I got way too much of my other existing stuff to get caught up on!

5 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Where do your loyalties lie?

Best two out of three of each console gen is plenty good enough for me.

3rd: NES/SMS

4th: SNES/GEN

5th: PS1/N64

6: PS2/GC

7th: PS3/Wii

8th: PS4/WiiU (more like 7 1/2 gen?)

Edited by Estil

Well, people who know me would know that I would never buy a Playstation anything, so you can write off the PS5 immediately.

I literally just bought an Xbox 360 like a month or two ago, and am building up my 360 collection... I guess I'll hit the Xbox ONE in about 2025 or so, so that means I'll hit Xbox Series in about 2030! 😅

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Well, people who know me would know that I would never buy a Playstation anything, so you can write off the PS5 immediately.

Not even the legendary PS1/PS2?  Wow that's a lot of blue chip exclusives you'd be missing out on.  Remember I originally got the PSOne back in my college days mainly so I could play the MegaMan games.

There's no way I personally could get by without at least the first two PS's.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

You all are lucky. You see a $500 disc ps5. That's gonna be $700 for me, which is 200 more than the ps4 at launch. Feels incredibly steep at that point. 

I'd love one but it IS getting terribly expensive. 

And I already have so much I haven't played. I'll wait. 😞

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Estil said:

Not even the legendary PS1/PS2?  Wow that's a lot of blue chip exclusives you'd be missing out on.  Remember I originally got the PSOne back in my college days mainly so I could play the MegaMan games.

Nope, not a Playstation guy, just don't like em! I got plenty else to keep me busy anyway.

51 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

None.  I still don't own a switch 🤣

If if makes you feel any better, I don't own anything beyond Sega dreamcast. And I have that because my father in law found it in his basement and gave it to me. Newest system before that is 64. Had a wii at one point, but it doesn't work after several moves/damage

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Events Helper · Posted
41 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

If if makes you feel any better, I don't own anything beyond Sega dreamcast. And I have that because my father in law found it in his basement and gave it to me. Newest system before that is 64. Had a wii at one point, but it doesn't work after several moves/damage

I bought a Wii and only used it for virtual console.  I did play a lot of Xbox 360, but haven't touched it since before the Xbox one came out.  I have the cube and n64.  I do have a gba and mainly play old game boy games on it lol.

basically I'm mostly retro, but honestly all over the place with it.  got a ps2 for some older psx and ps2 games.

• Like 1

It makes sense that most people are waiting on buying considering the high cost of entry and the exceedingly limited software availability, but I'm a sucker for new console hardware. In fact, my biggest motivation for upgrading is just the fact that I will get those sweet new SSDs to play my current-gen games on. Cutting load times in Outer Worlds would be amazing.

If I was only getting one console, it would definitely be the new Xbox, since I prefer variety and accessibility over exclusivity. I'm not knocking Sony here, you can't argue with the quality of their PS4 output and, by 2022, the PS5 will probably have some killer titles. I just get burned out on those big cinematic experiences Sony is known for. I've gotten more joy out of Sea of Thieves than Uncharted, God of War, and Spiderman combined (and I loved Uncharted 4). If Sony scaled back the production values and released more 10-12 hour games, I'd be much more interested in what they're doing. Just the idea of starting Ghost of Tsushima is overwhelming to me between work, kids, exercise, and other hobbies. Of course, Sony sells a ridiculous number of copies of those games and couldn't care less about what I think. In fact, outside of making PS Now a better competitor to Game Pass, there is literally no reason for them to change their current strategy.

I love new generations!

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1