IGNORED

Do you like box protectors? Favorite source?

1 hour ago, goldenpp72 said:

This is something I've never bothered with but I'm thinking about it. Anyone have pros and cons? Does it make dusting and such easier? I would need a lot so I guess i never bothered. 

Be prepared to spend thousands on them since you have a sizable collection. I’m embarrassed to say how much I’ve spend over the years since I decided long ago to have every game I own in a protector (and amiibo) or acrylic case (based on value). With that said they are awesome and I don’t have any draw backs using the case BUT they eat shelf space. For example, if you use a standard Billy bookcase from Ikea you can only get 44 games DVD style games across in a single row with the protectors on. I forget what it was without them .... 49-51 I would assume. 

Retroprotection.com I have found to be the best source. 

Edited by Mr. CIB
  • Like 1

I love em! Slowly adding them into my stuff, and they keep things uniform. They also make not as nice looking copies look better. 

I have used a few places but Kollectorprotector and retroprotection are very good, the kollectorprotector ones are thicker which looks great on the shelf but is much harder to open repeatedly. 

Avoid ones that have locking tabs like:

Screenshot_20200715-095327_eBay.thumb.jpg.04858812538e6c8c714e22ad44b1e7fe.jpg

Will have to try videogameboxprotectors.com

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

I would have to say kollector_protector is the best in the business. Items fit snug and the protectors themselves are thick and don't feel flimsy and weak. They are .5 mm thick. Love them.

https://www.ebay.com/str/kollector-protector?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I find them too rigid and are more of a pain when folding DVD style (fine for NES since it’s wider) they also take up even more space. I believe I got only 41 DVD style on a shelf using them. @goldenpp72 maybe get 5 of each to see which one you like best. 

Edited by Mr. CIB

I also prefer them for cardboard rather than disc based stuff, with one exception.  I like to use them for PS1 longbox.  Anyone familiar with PS1 knows that there were 3 different styles of longbox that were all pretty different.  The variances look a little odd on a shelf.  Plus some of the artwork likes to peel off the plastic versions after all of these years.  Putting them in box protectors makes them look a little more uniform and helps to hold down anything that is peeling off.  

38 minutes ago, jonebone said:

I use them on cardboard but not disc stuff.   I've always used videogameboxprotectors.com , it is ran by a long standing NA member.  The promo code "NintendoAge" still works for 5% off.

I used to buy my box protectors there as well. They're really good.

I have 400 complete NES games and 150 complete Atari 2600 games, they're all in box protectors. They stand up much easier on the shelf, they don't get wear from sliding games back and forth and it also makes a mediocre box look much better on display by hiding the flaws.

I get mine from videogameboxprotectors.com but I always have to wait until I need a lot to make the $44 shipping to Canada worth it. Either that or I order a double amount and sell half of them to local collectors here to make my money back.

I get mine from videogameboxprotectors as well but I buy them on eBay (they have a store) and not the normal web store because it’s super sketchy and non SSL if I remember correctly. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/keep_em_minty/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I only put the higher end stuff in protectors or stuff in boxes since I don’t really have that many. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I get mine from videogameboxprotectors as well but I buy them on eBay (they have a store) and not the normal web store because it’s super sketchy and non SSL if I remember correctly. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/keep_em_minty/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I only put the higher end stuff in protectors or stuff in boxes since I don’t really have that many. 

I had to check but you're right. Even though they use PayPal, the PayPal API uses a callback function which sends your data back to the site to be processed and that's done without SSL. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

Be prepared to spend thousands on them since you have a sizable collection. I’m embarrassed to say how much I’ve spend over the years since I decided long ago to have every game I own in a protector (and amiibo) or acrylic case (based on value). With that said they are awesome and I don’t have any draw backs using the case BUT they eat shelf space. For example, if you use a standard Billy bookcase from Ikea you can only get 44 games DVD style games across in a single row with the protectors on. I forget what it was without them .... 49-51 I would assume. 

Retroprotection.com I have found to be the best source. 

Yeah with the volume of stuff I own it would certainly be pricey which is why I hesitate, I did inquire on a bulk discount but one issue is they don't have all the different ones in stock. It would drive me nuts to get a bunch and not be able to do them all then.

I also like how you have the number of games on a shelf in your head, I do too 😛 

• Like 1

So I got my first batch of these to test out. Hard to photograph but like stated earlier they really do eat up shelf space. I would say I lost about 4 games per shelf if you don't compress them down. Only the lynx and game gear were done.

20200724_192849.jpg

20200724_192907.jpg

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 2

I use them and I also go with videogamebocprotector.

One thing I heard just recently when watching a video of The Last Gamer was that some museum consultants that Joel had evaluate his collection mentioned they wouldn’t recommend these types of box protectors because they could facilitate mold by trapping moisture. Probably not a problem for the majority of collectors storage, but if you happen to store your games in a basement that happens to see moisture at all it’s something that may concern you. Now I’ve used them for years and haven’t had any issues myself, but something I found interesting when I heard it and it does seem like a realistic issue for some people.

2 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Anyone know of a good way to protect cardboard slip case disc stuff?

I have some demo discs that I would like to make sure they don't get scuffed / plastic wrap messed up.

Is the CD box size the only option or does someone make a slimmer version out there.

CD box size is only option currently for a pvc style protector. Ive struggle with demo disk and a couple Sega CD games of how to get them into a protector. The more you get into it special sizes become a issue especially with 3DS and Switch. 

• Like 1