IGNORED

Do you like box protectors? Favorite source?

8 hours ago, DeuceGamer said:

I use them and I also go with videogamebocprotector.

One thing I heard just recently when watching a video of The Last Gamer was that some museum consultants that Joel had evaluate his collection mentioned they wouldn’t recommend these types of box protectors because they could facilitate mold by trapping moisture. Probably not a problem for the majority of collectors storage, but if you happen to store your games in a basement that happens to see moisture at all it’s something that may concern you. Now I’ve used them for years and haven’t had any issues myself, but something I found interesting when I heard it and it does seem like a realistic issue for some people.

Run a dehumidifier?  I have a big one down here.  It fills up about every other day in the summer, sometimes daily if we're getting lots of rain.  You'd be surprised how much moisture we get down here.  But then in the Winter on the other hand, only fills up about once a month if that.  Moisture hasn't been a problem for me in a basement at least.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DeuceGamer said:

I use them and I also go with videogamebocprotector.

One thing I heard just recently when watching a video of The Last Gamer was that some museum consultants that Joel had evaluate his collection mentioned they wouldn’t recommend these types of box protectors because they could facilitate mold by trapping moisture. Probably not a problem for the majority of collectors storage, but if you happen to store your games in a basement that happens to see moisture at all it’s something that may concern you. Now I’ve used them for years and haven’t had any issues myself, but something I found interesting when I heard it and it does seem like a realistic issue for some people.

I'd say if your area has enough moisture to trap it in the case you're already not storing them right. Def need to keep a dehumidifier running at minimum. 

5 hours ago, jonebone said:

Run a dehumidifier?  I have a big one down here.  It fills up about every other day in the summer, sometimes daily if we're getting lots of rain.  You'd be surprised how much moisture we get down here.  But then in the Winter on the other hand, only fills up about once a month if that.  Moisture hasn't been a problem for me in a basement at least.

For me it’s not an issue and for most it’s probably not going to be an issue, but it is something I though was worth mentioning.

If moisture happens to get in at all, a dehumidifier may not be enough to remove it in those types of protectors so I can definitely still see it as an issue for a small percentage of collectors, especially if they happen to live in wet climates, or have particularly wet seasons.

Again, for the overwhelming majority it will be a non issue, but it’s something worth mentioning in this type of thread, if for no other reason to bring light to the issue and ensure people are utilizing dehumidifiers and considering whether it will be an issue for their individual storage situation.

Edit: To be clear, it’s not just the moisture itself but the concern a small amount in an enclosed space will facilitate mold, mildew, etc... Not an issue for the majority, but something to consider and for those that may want to see the episode discussing it, they can find it below:

Edited by DeuceGamer

Yeah I’m not too conserved about mold.  I live in Florida where the humidity is always high, and I’ve never had any issues.  I’ve kept my games in box protectors for over 13 years and haven’t had any issues.  I do not run a dehumidifier ether, just normal central AC.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:43 AM, 8bitsupremacy said:

Does anyone know where I can get a box protector for this?  It's my only naked game and I'd love to get it into a proper fitting protector.

1x SEGA GAME GEAR BOX CIB - CLEAR PLASTIC PROTECTIVE BOX PROTECTOR SLEEVE CASE

I picked up some of these recently.  They are taller to accommodate the hangtab/flap on a game gear game box and measure: 4 1/2" (perhaps 4 15/32")  X  7 1/8"

buzzandbingosmooncircus on Ebay

Not sure what measurements you need, but maybe this'll do it...

Edited by PII
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ctrujil24 said:

I'm looking to buy a TON of box protectors for all my games and consoles from Retroprotection. Anyone have a recent coupon code they can share?

I’ve never seen one besides a Black Friday coupon once a year. Only savings you’ll get is flat shipping cost 

I tried the ones from Videogameboxprotectors after reading this thread and they are far superior to the random ones I got from that bingo bongo whatever on eBay.  Cheaper too.  Nice.  
I tried Kollector Protector before and they sent me SNES boxes instead of NES and they were just too thick.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:11 PM, PII said:

1x SEGA GAME GEAR BOX CIB - CLEAR PLASTIC PROTECTIVE BOX PROTECTOR SLEEVE CASE

I picked up some of these recently.  They are taller to accommodate the hangtab/flap on a game gear game box and measure: 4 1/2" (perhaps 4 15/32")  X  7 1/8"

buzzandbingosmooncircus on Ebay

Not sure what measurements you need, but maybe this'll do it...

gg box protector.png

Gonna cross-check this right now, thanks!

I bought some from retroprotection a long time ago, for some of my steelbooks and for my Lunar PS1 boxsets, really liked them.

Last year I wanted to get some more for some special editions I own but seems they are not able to do custom sizes. Sales rep tried to help by offering some protectors they had for certain game console boxes, among other special sizes, but they probably wouldn´t be a good fit, so decided not to buy them.

I wonder if I could make my own custom protectors, my dad once mentioned there are small laser cutting machines used for acrylic that might fit the bill, but never really looked into it. Once I sort out settling into my new home I might give it another go.