IGNORED

What are you currently reading?

Reed Rothchild

Events Team · Posted
On 3/4/2020 at 1:22 PM, Tabonga said:

Heh - now that you are hooked the price goes up.  Probably at least three times.  

Damn you pushers!  Just finished Derai and it's got my interest piqued enough to continue the series.  I think I might just grab an ebook collection.  We'll see.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Br81zad said:

I've been reading through the Ian Flemming Bond series. I'm just past midway of Thunderball currently.

Thus far, I think Moonraker might be my favorite. Live and Let Die being my least favorite.

Moonraker is my favorite, personally. 

• Like 1

I'm reading Doctor Who: Star Tales, a collection of 6 short stories.  I'm halfway through, and two of the three I've read so far have been really good.  I almost didn't keep on with it, though, because I found the writing in the very first story to be a bit off-putting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Finished up The Blinding Knife and The Obelisk Gate.  Both were good, but I preferred the first book in each respective series.

Burned through this in the last week

I Am Legend and Other Stories

Great story.  Turns out the Vincent Price adaptation (The Last Man on Earth) was the most faithful.  This collection also has the story that the Zuni Fetish Doll segment of Trilogy of Terror was adapted from, which was a nice surprise.

Currently reading this

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Finished up The Blinding Knife and The Obelisk Gate.  Both were good, but I preferred the first book in each respective series.

Burned through this in the last week

I Am Legend and Other Stories

Great story.  Turns out the Vincent Price adaptation (The Last Man on Earth) was the most faithful.  

It has always kind of amazed me how that ultra low budget version is the best of the three versions in a lot of ways.  I think it is because it played out as more of a zombie movie rather than a vampire one - and it was able to ride along with the success of Night of the Living Dead a few years later, 

And it had that great (but prosaic) station wagon (a 1958 Ford Country Sedan) to keep it grounded in reality in a way  that the glitziness of the two later remakes couldn't duplicate.

i184901.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Star Wars: Aftermath, the direct (new canon) sequel to Return of the Jedi. I picked this up when it originally came out, but haven't had time to read it. Well, guess what? I have time now. I finished Anthony Daniels' I am C-3PO autobiography in one day yesterday, and it was delightful. 

4 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

3N5EnVL.jpg

Another one from @Tabonga.  It's pretty rough for Heinlein.  He came at long way, baby.

Definitely interested in that Tunnel in the Sky.  I've come across it a couple times but always chose other books over that ine.

If things ever approach normal again I have another batch of books for you.    And I miss Woody's pizza!

(Unfortunately a lot of his stuff really hasn't aged well - part of the problem is that a lot of his stuff was aimed at what we could now call YA.  And his writing style is not as smooth as many of the current authors.  Plus the technology had veered in ways that he could not have predicted.)

Another few books that you might like are The Secret of the Martian Moons, The Secret of the Ninth Planet, and the Secret of Saturn's Rings by Donald Wolheim.  Also Raiders of the Rings by Alan Nourse is worth a look see. All aimed at a younger audience but fun reads anyway.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 4/11/2020 at 9:24 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch #2)

Man, this Ancillary trilogy might be the slowest thing I've ever read in my life.  The cover and description and praise make you think of typical sci fi space battles and whatnot.  There is none of that.  Instead it is lots and lots and lots of this:

IMG_20200416_112709.jpg

Bloodfire Quest by Terry Brooks

Just one of a long series of fantasy novels that take place in the future after a "great war". It's an interesting concept since it takes all that fantasy stuff...magic, demons, elves...and puts it in our world...in our future after we've destroyed the world...instead of it taking place way, way back in the past. I recommend the series if you like fantasy and you love long series.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently reading this series of 12 books (one has yet to be published),  It is a light fantasy (no elves, dwarfs etc.) set in world that I would say is later medieval but pre-gunpowder and magic exists in it  - but only a fraction of the population is born with the ability to manipulate that magic.  It is somewhat unusual in that it is 4 trilogies set in the same world - but each trilogy has a new set of characters (I assume that characters from each trilogy could appear (likely as cameos) in the others - but I am only halfway through the second book of the first trilogy,)

https://www.goodreads.com/series/146658-maradaine-sequence

Editorials Team · Posted

Finished Ancillary 2 (really testing my patience, but it ended with some excitement at least) and Shattered Seas 2 (loved it)

Read this real fast since it was super short.  Pretty good.

Gwendy's Button Box

Burning through this right now

It's interesting that there is absolutely no mention of the words "Star Wars" anywhere.  Since back then that was the name of a movie, not a franchise...

Also interesting that this storyline was the backup for The Empire Strikes Back, in case Star Wars was a bomb and they needed a low-budget sequel alternative

Finished reading the last of the Dune books a little while back (Chapterhouse: Dune, in case I never updated here) and liked it ok.  I thought it drug on longer than it needed to, but was altogether a decent book and part of a decent series.  From there, I moved on to start reading "Tai Pan" by James Clavell.  I was always a fan of the Noble House miniseries from the 80s based on his novel of the same name and had started looking into reading it when I found out that he had a whole series of books based in Asia that were supposed to be interrelated.  I could have started with Shogun but figured that while he might have loosely tied it to the others, I'd prefer to start with something that actually directly links to the book (and miniseries) that I was originally interested in.  Good book so far, at roughly 80% through.  It's not a bad or long novel, but at this point I can't wait to be done simply because a buddy hooked me up with a copy of the movie they made of it about 30 years ago which I refuse to watch until I'm done reading the book lest it spoil something.  Fingers crossed the movie turns out to be half as good as the book.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished a few books recently.

A farewell to arms- Hemingway

I really enjoyed this book, I’ve always had Hemingway on my list of authors to read and finally got around to it. The writing style at the time must have blown people away with how minimalist it is.

Assassin’s Apprentice- Robin Hobb

I’ve had many people recommend this book over the years and finally gave it a go. The first third of the book felt very slow to me but I pushed on and it just got better and better. Fantasy books can become predictable but this one had me on edge all the way. Even down to the epilogue. I look forward to continuing the series.

Magician- Raymond E Feist

I’ve wanted to read this book since I was a kid but always put it off. A great fantasy book and I can see why it is well regarded. 

I’ve started book 1 of the Murderbot Diaries and am enjoying it so far.