IGNORED

What are you currently reading?

Reed Rothchild

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Started

Short Stories of Philip K Dick

haven't gotten very far, but so far, I would say - WOW, this guy does NOT know how to write 👾

Probably all the LSD haha. I agree though. I love his popular books but struggled with his short stories and lesser know stuff.

Editorials Team · Posted

Ghost Story on short hiatus since I have so many other pressing readings

Burned through All You Need is Kill for the book club. 4/5 on goodreads.

Started up House of Leaves which my boss gave me.  My friend who owns a used bookstore recommend it to his wife, who ended up HATING the little bit she read.  So he gave it to me.

Also started Lightbringer V.  I want to have it done by July so I can finally start Malazan.

This is the latest in a cozy mystery series that centers on a bookshop owner who interacts with  the ghost of a private dick who was murdered in the store location in 1949.  One of the most interesting aspects is that the ghost has the ability to let her live brief episodes in his memories via an experience of immersion where she actually enters the environments of  the 30's/40's era.

489557896_download(5).jpeg.eb9bbed7cbb333103f51e7ed69554850.jpeg

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

Moderator · Posted
3 hours ago, doner24 said:

Finally getting to this one, after a 5 year hiatus since I read his last release. Nice to know there’s another one to read right after this. Suck it George RR  Martin! 

image.jpg

Already finished it 😂, great book, back to what I love about Dresden after it hit a couple book lull around Ghost Stories. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doner24 said:

Already finished it 😂, great book, back to what I love about Dresden after it hit a couple book lull around Ghost Stories. 

Good to know I'm not the only one finishing a book a day haha. I've been reading them in-between other reads as to not get burnt out by it. I can't for him to release the second book to the aeronauts windlass, I know he was waiting to finish the Dresden book he was working on before jumping into that beast. I'd recommend it if you haven't read it yet, tho beware it's a thick boi.  Sadly I didn't care for his codex books, I tried but eh. 

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
4 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Good to know I'm not the only one finishing a book a day haha. I've been reading them in-between other reads as to not get burnt out by it. I can't for him to release the second book to the aeronauts windlass, I know he was waiting to finish the Dresden book he was working on before jumping into that beast. I'd recommend it if you haven't read it yet, tho beware it's a thick boi.  Sadly I didn't care for his codex books, I tried but eh. 

Yeah loved the first Aeronauts book. I also loved the Codex books but Dresden is definitely my favorite of his. I know all about thick boys, been contemplating starting Gravity’s Rainbow, but it’s intimidating in size and content! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Yeah loved the first Aeronauts book. I also loved the Codex books but Dresden is definitely my favorite of his. I know all about thick boys, been contemplating starting Gravity’s Rainbow, but it’s intimidating in size and content! 

That's me and dune. It seems like such a project to tackle haha 

2 hours ago, doner24 said:

I am proud to say that I have a complete run of first edition hardbacks of the Dresden Files (technically the first 6 are not first editions since those were published well after the paperbacks came out - but I have the first printings of those  hardbacks).

If anyone is interested I have been heavily into urban fantasy since pretty much the genre's inception (around 1987) and can provide a pretty healthy list of series that I like.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

I am proud to say that I have a complete run of first edition hardbacks of the Dresden Files (technically the first 6 are not first editions since those were published well after the paperbacks came out - but I have the first printings of those  hardbacks).

If anyone is interested I have been heavily into urban fantasy since pretty much the genre's inception (around 1987) and can provide a pretty healthy list of series that I like.

I've picked up mine all second hand except like three. Found good amount of hardcovers, sometimes even Meijer had the hardcovers on their $5 table. 

I'd be interested in seeing your suggestions. Always need more to read. 

Edited by SailorScoutMandy
I can't spell
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

I'd be interested in seeing your suggestions. Always need more to read. 

I will throw a list together and post it (maybe tomorrow - it is pretty lengthy).  I also read a lot of cozy mysteries if they have a paranormal connection - sometimes the line between those cozies and urban fantasy is pretty thin.

• Like 1

Southern Vampire Mysteries (Charlaine Harris) - A classic urban fantasy series - it was the basis of the tv series True Blood.

Midnight Texas series (Charlaine Harris) - There were only three books in the series (I wish they had more!) - There was a two season tv series that was pretty good.

Dan Shamble series (Kevin J. Anderson) A humorous series featuring a zombie PI - not to be taken seriously at all.  Humor tends to be repetitive but not a game killer.

Iron Druid series (Kevin Hearne) - a series about the last Druid on earth.

Junkyard Druid (M.D. Massey) - about a novice Druid who operates out of a junkyard. There are a couple of spinoff series also.

Mercy Thompson series (Patricia Briggs)  About a coyote shapeshifter who is a member of a werewolf pack.

Stalking the Unicorn (Vampire, Dragon, Zombie) (Mike Resnick - who also wrote a lot of interesting science fiction) - another humorous series that reuses a lot of humor as running schticks - The Unicorn was published in 1987 and is one of the earliest urban fantasy works.

Esther Diamond series - (Laura Resnick - daughter of Mike) about a Jewish actress and her encounters with the paranormal.

October Daye (Seanan McGuire) - a pretty good series that involve a half human half fae woman and her interactions in the fae world.

Incryptid Series (Seanan McGuire) - generally more lighthearted series about a family of humans who study/befriend cryptozoolgical entities of one stripe or another. (Seanan McGuire is a very prolific writer - under this name and some others - quality is somewhat erratic on a lot of her stuff - at least what I find of interest.)

Nightside series (Simon Green) - one of my favorites - although while classified as urban fantasy it is more a fantasy of a weird sort since virtually none of it occurs in this society.  It is about a hidden pocket of London that exists on its own and is populated a wide assortment of interesting people/gods/monsters.

Kate Daniels (Ilona Andrews - actually a husband wife team) - Kate is a bounty hunter/heroine/magic caster sort in a world where magic and technology take turns being in effect - an idea that works pretty well.

Jane Yellowrock (Faith Hunter) series - a shapeshifting woman who is heavily involved in very machavellian vampire politics. The Soulwood novels are a series set in the same universe featuring a tree witch/sorta dryad (as best as I can tell) - characters from the two series intermingle sometimes.

Hollows series (aka Rachel Morgan series) (Kim Harrison) -pretty involved story featuring a witch/demoness and her interactions with various sorts of creatures -  I like it lot.

Tufa novels (Alex Bledsoe) - a really interesting series about the Tufa - a mysterious pre-Columbian people (but decidedly Caucasian) that live in the boonies.  Somewhat unique since folk type music plays an important role in things. One of my faves!!

Black Magic Outlaw (Domino Finn) - A fairly dark series - not surprising since the main character is a necromancer.  He generally operates in the darker portions of society.

Here are a couple of standalones that are well worth reading:

1191563574_download(7).jpeg.027d0f17ee7b8e1d2f967375afe7d89a.jpeg

He has wriitten a lot of other stuff - this is by far his best IMHO.

This technically is not an urban fantasy since it was written in 1935 - but certainly falls in the genre.

2124124659_download(8).jpeg.f6b2f3c6738465c6dbacfd64bf3f8e3b.jpeg

There was a fairly good movie made from it - it doesn't really capture the spirit of the book terribly well but I am not sure any movie really could.   Still worth watching though

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I finished All You Need Is Kill for book club last week and was planning on taking a couple days to read Kiki's Delivery Service before our June book. But I woke up at 4am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, so I basically read the whole thing before breakfast. I guess I'll have to check out what's new at my eLibrary.

• 4 weeks later...
Moderator · Posted
2 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

This one is the most addictive Dresden book I've read so far. Was very hard to put it down to start work this morning. 

IMG_20210624_101433900.jpg

That’s a great one. The series hits a lull (still good) around Ghost Stories, but then bounces back nicely after. 

• Like 1