IGNORED

What are you currently reading?

Reed Rothchild

Just started reading 

17 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Finished a few books recently.

A farewell to arms- Hemingway

I really enjoy WWI literature. Also a big fan of Hemingway. That said, if you enjoy WWI literature you have to read (if you haven't yet) All Quiet on the Western Front. One of the greatest anti-war novels ever written. I'm currently reading some poetry from the (WWI) war poets. Hard to believe all that happened barely 100 years ago.

23 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I have those Feist and Hobb books... some day.

haha yeah I know the feeling. If I was to recommend one to start first it would be Assassin's Apprentice.

10 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I really enjoy WWI literature. Also a big fan of Hemingway. That said, if you enjoy WWI literature you have to read (if you haven't yet) All Quiet on the Western Front. One of the greatest anti-war novels ever written.

I haven't read many war novels, Catch 22 is probably the last one I read, which was a few years ago now. This one really got me interested so I will definitely check out All Quiet on the Western Front. I'd heard so many mixed reviews on this book (and Hemingway) but I'm glad I checked it out. What would be your next recommendation for Hemingway? I've heard For Whom the Bell Tolls is excellent.

5 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I haven't read many war novels, Catch 22 is probably the last one I read, which was a few years ago now. This one really got me interested so I will definitely check out All Quiet on the Western Front. I'd heard so many mixed reviews on this book (and Hemingway) but I'm glad I checked it out. What would be your next recommendation for Hemingway? I've heard For Whom the Bell Tolls is excellent.

If you haven't read The Old Man and the Sea you must, it's my favorite Hemingway novel. I've known some people, including literary critics, that don't like Hemingway because "too much machismo". The hell with them. Read Hemingway and enjoy! 

2 hours ago, avatar! said:

If you haven't read The Old Man and the Sea you must, it's my favorite Hemingway novel. I've known some people, including literary critics, that don't like Hemingway because "too much machismo". The hell with them. Read Hemingway and enjoy! 

I’ve  heard that’s also one of his best novels. I’ll check it out.

I agree with you, that’s why I try to avoid too many reviews these days because I feel a lot of people like to push their agenda (like saying Hemingway is too macho) and just enjoy what I read.

• 3 months later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Back on the wagon after getting a new COVID-19 work schedule, moving, building my game room, playing and writing up SNES, etc.

Finished this, which I started in March or April:

The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)

Just started this:

Half a War

And I'm about halfway through Duma Key, which I started in January or February.  It's a very slow burn, but I like those, and I like taking my time with them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 9:04 PM, avatar! said:

I'm currently reading some poetry from the (WWI) war poets. Hard to believe all that happened barely 100 years ago.

This might interest you - back in 1971 Country Joe McDonald released an album of Robert W. Services WWI poetry set to music.  Well worth at least one listen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

@Tabonga that Country Joe album "War War War" is dope!

Thanks for introducing me 🙂

I love it when musicians take poetry and put it to music. Any other recommendations?

You are indeed welcome!

This isn't poetry but close since they are ballads.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Dalliance-Ed-McCurdy/dp/B0001XAMCC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ed+mccurdy&qid=1611532635&s=music&sr=1-3

Ed McCurdy was a prodigious folk singer/writer and had a series of lps under the collective titles of "When Dalliance Was in Flower and Maidens Lost Their Heads".  The songs were full of double entrendres and were pretty sophisticated musically.  The above linked cd is the only part of those that has made it to cd as far as I know.

Even the LP covers were pretty funny:

R-12360738-1588533700-9053.jpeg.jpg.441ff6542e43345740881687a7ac5a77.jpg

R-9729242-1486056044-1499.jpeg.jpg.16da5c767c8ecc3b4839c3095c7ef7d4.jpg

You might give Dave Van Ronk a try - a lot of his stuff was pretty interesting.

There are probably other things I can suggest - just have to dredge them up out my memory.

Edit - Found this cd on ebay - all four albums of the series:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ED-MCCURDY-WHEN-DALLIANCE-WAS-IN-FLOWER-FOUR-COMPLETE-ALBUMS-NEW-CD/141735967902?epid=115464191&hash=item21001f3c9e:g:DU8AAOSwVXRb5XZ6

This one is somewhat related:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Naughty-Bawdy-Songs-of-Olde-England-Ed-McCurdy-CD/383746091143?hash=item59590ca887:g:tgwAAOSwIZZfdNOk

Edited by Tabonga
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Dresden Files #7: Dead Beat. 

Been reading the series between other reads, it's funny. I do wish Butcher would work on his other series The Cinder Spire tho. Aeronauts windlass came out in 2015 and I'm ready for book two. 

If you don't know about it there was a brief (only lasted one season) scify channel Dresden Files show that was pretty good.  One of the episodes is called "What About Bob?" - Bob is probably my favorite character in the book series.

It was available on dvd for pretty cheap -  well worth a watch for fans of the books.

Moderator · Posted
3 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Dresden Files #7: Dead Beat. 

Been reading the series between other reads, it's funny. I do wish Butcher would work on his other series The Cinder Spire tho. Aeronauts windlass came out in 2015 and I'm ready for book two. 

Love the Dresden series. Bought the last book and haven’t read it yet. I am 3 books through the Codex Alera series and really dig it too. Read Aeronauts Windlass when it came out and really liked that one too, especially the cat. 

27 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Love the Dresden series. Bought the last book and haven’t read it yet. I am 3 books through the Codex Alera series and really dig it too. Read Aeronauts Windlass when it came out and really liked that one too, especially the cat. 

Right! Love werid cats in fantasy novels, well more steampunk in this case. Lol but I tried reading the codex, finished the first one and couldn't get into the second one sadly. I've only heard good things thou. 

• Like 1