IGNORED

What are you currently reading?

Reed Rothchild

48 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

If you don't know about it there was a brief (only lasted one season) scify channel Dresden Files show that was pretty good.  One of the episodes is called "What About Bob?" - Bob is probably my favorite character in the book series.

It was available on dvd for pretty cheap -  well worth a watch for fans of the books.

I've watched it. Its good in its own right, tho I prefer the books. Bob is a great helper and Mister. 😸😸

46 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I keep putting off the Dune books (I've had my dads copies for 20+ years) because I hear so many mixed things.  I'll force myself to start the dive in the next couple years though.

Mixed?  The first book or first couple books are universally praised.

First book is the archetypal rise to power/revenge story with themes of religion, politics, and ecology.  Good stuff, check it out.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, fox said:

Mixed?  The first book or first couple books are universally praised.

First book is the archetypal rise to power/revenge story with themes of religion, politics, and ecology.  Good stuff, check it out.

What I meant is, I have done a deep dive into fantasy and sci-fi over the last couple years, to put together reading lists and stock up my collection.

One constant, is a decent number of contemporary readers having a tough time with Dune.

Hell, there were one or two people earlier in this thread who echoed that same sentiment.

And I believe it.  Old sci-fi can be hit or miss for me too.  For every Childhoods End or Slaughterhouse Five where I'm engaged from the beginning, there's a Man in the High Castle or Left Hand of Darkness where the struggle is real.

I'll still give it a 100% fair shot when I get to it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

What I meant is, I have done a deep dive into fantasy and sci-fi over the last couple years, to put together reading lists and stock up my collection.

One constant, is a decent number of contemporary readers having a tough time with Dune.

Hell, there were one or two people earlier in this thread who echoed that same sentiment.

And I believe it.  Old sci-fi can be hit or miss for me too.  For every Childhoods End or Slaughterhouse Five where I'm engaged from the beginning, there's a Man in the High Castle or Left Hand of Darkness where the struggle is real.

I'll still give it a 100% fair shot when I get to it.

I've seen the same sentiment online in regards to Dune and have also always put it off for the same reason. We seem to share similar tastes in books, so I'll let you read it first and if you like it I'll read it haha.

Although I can't stand Kurt Vonnengut, very over rated in my opinion (will probably attract all the Vonnengut fanboys now haha).

19 hours ago, Shmup said:

I've seen the same sentiment online in regards to Dune and have also always put it off for the same reason. We seem to share similar tastes in books, so I'll let you read it first and if you like it I'll read it haha.

Although I can't stand Kurt Vonnengut, very over rated in my opinion (will probably attract all the Vonnengut fanboys now haha).

image.gif.3074b4bad6b8433412f41b5dfa1d6c7e.gif

On 2/6/2021 at 5:09 PM, avatar! said:

Started reading from the Father of History....

the-histories-36.jpg

Hells yeah. I've read through it a few times and translated a portion back in college, but translating the entire work is on my to-do list.

I also recommend the Landmark Herodotus as it provides excellent annotation and maps to go along with the text. There are versions for Thucycides and Xenophon.

• Like 1

I have been reading this and am about 1/2 way through it:

dca86a74-22b0-4556-b5b0-0ec66fa580d6_1.dced3499f45733fd386ba8cbf760db33.jpeg.a1fe5c0cccd29021f1f810cc9701e8d7.jpeg

So far the archaeological evidence has been presented - somewhat dry since it is mostly concerning shells and bullets retrieved from about 20% of the battlefield after the brush fire of 1983 that occurred on most of the battlefield.  What the author suggests so far is that there was likely much less organized than previously believed and that many of the soldiers may have essentially panicked and offered only scattered resistance. 

The next section is where the author will link these findings with what actual history we know (or we think we know) with the archaeology of the site (and his interpretation of it).  I suspect this portion will be much less dry.

Edited by Tabonga

On 1/26/2021 at 10:56 AM, SailorScoutMandy said:

Right! Love werid cats in fantasy novels, well more steampunk in this case. Lol but I tried reading the codex, finished the first one and couldn't get into the second one sadly. I've only heard good things thou. 

There are lots of cozy mysteries that feature cats - often with mystical powers of one stripe or another. And often as familiars to witches.  I don't mind cozy mysteries if they are light on the romance and involve the supernatural.  And they often border  on being part of urban fantasy - a genre I really like (when it is well done).

• Like 1

Finished reading the 5th Harry Potter book forever ago. Had some books to donate so I brought them around to my local bookstore that gave me some credit for them and picked up the 6th and 7th book and read them over the last 3 days. Really good series and well done for being young adult books. I like the movies as well but the books are so much more detailed and interesting.