IGNORED

What are you currently reading?

Reed Rothchild

Oh wow The Dark Tower series...I read through those. After book 3 (I think?) they went WAY the hell downhill. He just lost his writing style. Shame really since I liked the story but it was a chore to get through the series!

I'm currently making my way through the Shannara series from Terry Brooks. If you're into high fantasy with a touch of sci-fi, it's a good series. Just don't get attached to characters...they die pretty easily lol. I'm on book 14. I love long series. If you plan on diving into this series, I say avoid the Word and the Void trilogy that's "part" of the series. It just breaks up the story line too much by jumping to another time in the series. Even though it's recommended you read them midway through the series if you're new to his series...like why?! I'd recommend starting with them or ending with them...don't read them in the middle.

Star Wars: Spark of the Resistance by Justina Ireland.  I just picked this up after watching a short review video, and so far it's alright.  It's a young adult book, so I'm hoping it will be a quick read.  I'm also starting in on the audiobook of Star Wars: Aftermath: Empire's End.  I really liked the first audiobook in the trilogy, and the second one was decent.  I'm hoping the third will really ramp back up to the excitement the first book had.

Just now, KokiriChild said:

I'm a HUGE Stephen King fan, but for some reason this one has always slipped through my fingers. Figured October was the perfect time to pick it up. It's been super good so far!

I just recently heard that there was a sequel to The Shinning.  I read the Shinning but it was a long time ago but I had no clue.  I heard it is set around Danny as an adult other than that I have no idea what it is about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bubbapauls said:

I just recently heard that there was a sequel to The Shinning.  I read the Shinning but it was a long time ago but I had no clue.  I heard it is set around Danny as an adult other than that I have no idea what it is about.

Yeah, it's called Dr. Sleep, and it's really good too! There's also a feature film version coming out soon if you wanna get caught up.

11 hours ago, doner24 said:

Book 3 of Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera. It’s great like everything else he does.

Thanks for the reminder about him!  I've not been able to get into his fantasy stuff, but have been chomping at the bit for the next Dresden book to drop for, what...good lord!  We literally haven't had a new Dresden book to read since before my son was born, more than 5 years ago at this point.  That's ridiculous!  (Given his prior propensity to hammer them out every year or so, and the next one being #16)

Thankfully, it appears that he finally finished the book this past July and a release date is forthcoming.  Fingers crossed he'll get back on the horse and get this series done before he leaves it out to pasture again!

Moderator · Posted
4 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Thanks for the reminder about him!  I've not been able to get into his fantasy stuff, but have been chomping at the bit for the next Dresden book to drop for, what...good lord!  We literally haven't had a new Dresden book to read since before my son was born, more than 5 years ago at this point.  That's ridiculous!  (Given his prior propensity to hammer them out every year or so, and the next one being #16)

Thankfully, it appears that he finally finished the book this past July and a release date is forthcoming.  Fingers crossed he'll get back on the horse and get this series done before he leaves it out to pasture again!

No kidding, that’s the series that got me into his books and still my favorite of his. Unfortunately I think he will do his next Cinder Spires book after this Dresden book. That could take him quite awhile. 

Speaking of delays.....stares in Patrick Rothfuss’ general direction. 

Actually just started The Final Empire a week or so ago. About 3/4 of the way through. 

I know Sanderson gets mad love, and he did a great job finishing up The Wheel of Time series, but I'm not as into the Mistborn stuff so far. Not sure why. It's enjoyable enough, but I've enjoyed other fantasy series far more.