IGNORED

What are you currently reading?

Reed Rothchild

On 2/1/2020 at 7:44 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Also burned through this guy

Pretty good.  Thought it was better than Storm Front (the first book)

Beware of burning through the Dreseden Files books too quickly.  I and my friends and family read through them pretty quick (there were 9 at the time), then got stuck on his "one a year" schedule, which has since turned into a longer and longer wait between follow ups due to him branching off into other series and genres.  At this point, there hasn't been a new Dresden Files book to read since before my son was born, lol.  Supposedly, though, the newest one is finally done and scheduled to be released this July.  Fingers crossed!

Just finished up The Cthulhu Casebooks - Sherlock Holmes and the Shadwell Shadows.

Currently reading A Feast for Crows (Game of Thrones).

Currently listening to Terminus, by Peter Clines.  If you haven't listened to or read any of Peter Clines works I HIGHLY recommend him for those who like Sci-Fi/fantasy.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Beware of burning through the Dreseden Files books too quickly.  I and my friends and family read through them pretty quick (there were 9 at the time), then got stuck on his "one a year" schedule, which has since turned into a longer and longer wait between follow ups due to him branching off into other series and genres.  At this point, there hasn't been a new Dresden Files book to read since before my son was born, lol.  Supposedly, though, the newest one is finally done and scheduled to be released this July.  Fingers crossed!

Could be worse.  He could be on the Song of Ice and Fire/Kingkiller schedule 😛

uCD0vfZ5c-LgCfhr6O-Xpse8K6KKXEd5FYnnqlT6POY.jpg

@Reed Rothchild

The Dresden Files are pretty good - they do succumb  to the problem that plagues much of urban fantasy in that the main character keeps getting stronger and stronger over the course of the series.  The other thing that disappointed me with the series is that he is supposed to be a detective but does remarkably little detective work.  There was a brief tv series based on the books that is pretty good:

Some other urban fantasy series you might like:

Kitty Norville (Carrie Vaughn)

Iron Druid (Kevin Hearne)

Alex Verus (Benedict Jacka)

Junkyard Druid (M.D. Massey)

Mercy Thompson (Patricia Briggs)

Daniel Faust (Craig Shaeffer)

Nightside series (Simon Green) - I really really like this one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently reading "The Golem - A Montague and Strong Detective Novel" - Orlando Sanchez

Edited by Wandering Tellurian

Book 3 of The Gentleman Bastards is losing me. I really liked the first two, but am struggling to maintain interest here. Don't know if it's because there isn't a big overall heist like the other books or the tired will they, won't they between Locke and Sabetha that's dragged out too much. Maybe it's just that this book kind of feels like good guy vs. good guy so there aren't super high stakes?

• 3 weeks later...

I finished Dune. It was fine, if you like heavy politics. It also had a lot of tropes such as the main villain being four steps ahead of everybody and knowing exactly how people will think and react. Then Paul is basically Jesus. Being written in the 60s this may have been where these tropes originated, but reading it now for the first time. Dune had no impact on me. 

I picked up a bunch of early Heinlein stuff at the thrift store yesterday - I haven't read his stuff since high school - so I will be working on rereading those:

The Day after Tomorrow
The Door into Summer
Farmer in the Sky
Have Space Suit Will Travel
The Puppet Masters
Revolt in 2100
Rocketship Galileo
The Rolling Stones
Starman Jones

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

Reading this Ace Double I got from @Tabonga.  Just finished The Winds of Gath. Really enjoyed it.  60s scifi; right up my alley.  Now I'm onto Derai.

dqGhidf.jpg

Heh - now that you are hooked the price goes up.  Probably at least three times.  

It is a long series - 33 books - but most of them stay pretty engrossing.  There are a few major plot twists coming up in the series (I think books 4 and 6) that will figure importantly in the books thereafter .  It helps if you can read them in order.   The first 8* are probably the best - they were published by Ace Books and the ones thereafter by DAW (the last two were published much later by another publisher - they go for ridiculous amonts of money and are pretty poorly written - I suspect that they were ghosted by someone who really wasn't familiar with the series. )

This article has a list of them in order: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumarest_saga

There was at one time talk of a tv series based on the books - which could have been good if it been done properly.

*"Toyman" and "Jester at Scar" were two of my favorites.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

I couldn’t take anymore of The Witcher book. After reading multiple pages of mindless prattle between characters that go absolutely nowhere. What I read was very juvenile. It may be due to poor translation, but I doubt it.  I think of Sapkowski the same way as I do, Philip K. Dick. Where the books are presented better through the lens of creators in other forms of media. 

Moving on to The Hobbit. 

Edited by themisfit138

I picked up a set of these today in very nice condition at the thrift store today:

https://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Illustrated-Collection-Books/dp/133831291X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=harry+potter+illustrated+collection&qid=1583446332&s=books&sr=1-1

I have been meaning to get around to reading the series - I guess this is a sign that I should do so!