IGNORED

Stock Analysis and Trades Thread

Daniel_Doyce

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moderator · Posted

This is such bullshit (not unexpected though). I got out on AMC at $13.40, was in at $8.56. Got the rest of my NAKD out at 300% gains from my buy in, and took small loss on both BB and SNDL. Will look to get back in at some point if they open trading back up for everyone. I use TD and haven’t been throttled yet. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

No surprise there. 

Sure -- but it's a good reminder that the regulators do a pretty poor job of regulating certain aspects -- i.e. the naked shorting that went on to put GME in this position in the first place.

And on the other side -- it is a good reminder that even otherwise decent-tier brokerages are NOT your friend and aside from selling your order flow to hedge funds, if those funds are too big on the losing side will apparently make it impossible for you to participate at all as a retail buyer/seller.

It is hard to imagine that some class action lawsuits won't come out of this aimed at the trading stoppages.  And certain left-of-center politicians are going to have a field day blasting hedge funds over the short ladder attacks.

• Like 1

Just as I said all along... burn baby burn.  Lawsuits will be filed as I stated on both sides.  When people are coming on CNBC bitching that the man is holding down the smaller man and forced Robin Hood to do this it just puts gas on the dumpster fire this all has been.  Seems to me like people were still trying to hold up GME as long as they could by dumping all the other crap companies like AMC they were moving to next to hold up GME but now that isn’t working either.  

9 minutes ago, Braveheart69 said:

Just as I said all along... burn baby burn.  Lawsuits will be filed as I stated on both sides.  When people are coming on CNBC bitching that the man is holding down the smaller man and forced Robin Hood to do this it just puts gas on the dumpster fire this all has been.  Seems to me like people were still trying to hold up GME as long as they could by dumping all the other crap companies like AMC they were moving to next to hold up GME but now that isn’t working either.  

Look at the trade volume -- they can't hold up GME because they can't even buy it.

The next 36 hours are going to decide this one -- in terms of whether people are able to exercise their calls tomorrow which in turn forces the hedge funds that sold them to cover.

Edited by arch_8ngel

Yeah I dunno, I liked AMC regardless of WSB at sub $5.  I knew to liquidate those shares I bought yesterday but I may look for a re entry after some stabilization.  I believe 100% returns in a day are off the table of course but I think it could still be a solid gainer depending on the entry point.  Will watch and see.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Look at the trade volume -- they can't hold up GME because they can't even buy it.

The next 36 hours are going to decide this one -- in terms of whether people are able to exercise their calls tomorrow which in turn forces the hedge funds that sold them to cover.

It’s over Arch.  News just reported one of the largest GME shareholders just sold out their entire stake.  There are always people late to the party who will buy and there are always people who have been at a party who don’t want it to end... but in the end, it will.  

2 minutes ago, jonebone said:

Yeah I dunno, I liked AMC regardless of WSB at sub $5.  I knew to liquidate those shares I bought yesterday but I may look for a re entry after some stabilization.  I believe 100% returns in a day are off the table of course but I think it could still be a solid gainer depending on the entry point.  Will watch and see.

Highly doubt it, AMC’s demise has been hastened by COVID.  With super cheap flat screens and people having stimulus money to buy them and now with all the new streaming services and movies being available at home same time as at theatres, this thing is dead.  It pains me to say it man, I used to go to a movie at least once a week, I love the experience.  But now I’m like why go and pay to have someone kick my seat from behind and sit in front of me and recline.  Pay $10 for popcorn and $6 for a pop?  I’ve got an 86 inch flatscreen, surround sound, a pop fridge, snack drawer, and my own movie theatre popcorn maker with 3 kinds of butter in my man cave.  Obviously not everyone has the setup like I do, but you get my point.  Only time I’ll be going to movies is if there is a major event like an actually good Star Wars movie done by Lucas and Favreau comes out.  

8 minutes ago, Braveheart69 said:

It’s over Arch.  News just reported one of the largest GME shareholders just sold out their entire stake.  There are always people late to the party who will buy and there are always people who have been at a party who don’t want it to end... but in the end, it will.  

We'll see -- the price is still WAY above keeping pretty much 100% of calls ITM this week, which can evidently still inject its own force on the market. (represents 10's of millions of shares)

I cashed out gradually on the way up -- so it is no real skin off my nose if you're right at this point.  But there is enough craziness left to transpire before market close tomorrow, that I think there is definitely over-confidence on BOTH sides of the equation.  

Edited by arch_8ngel

Just now, Braveheart69 said:

Highly doubt it, AMC’s demise has been hastened by COVID.  With super cheap flat screens and people having stimulus money to buy them and now with all the new streaming services and movies being available at home same time as at theatres, this thing is dead.  It pains me to say it man, I used to go to a movie at least once a week, I love the experience.  But now I’m like why go and pay to have someone kick my seat from behind and sit in front of me and recline.  Pay $10 for popcorn and $6 for a pop?  I’ve got an 86 inch flatscreen, surround sound, a pop fridge, snack drawer, and my own movie theatre popcorn maker with 3 kinds of butter in my man cave.  Obviously not everyone has the setup like I do, but you get my point.  Only time I’ll be going to movies is if there is a major event like an actually good Star Wars movie done by Lucas and Favreau comes out.  

Yeah, AMC I definitely don't believe in long term for exactly those reasons.

HUGE TV's have gotten so ridiculously cheap that the need for a projection room has gone away and made it a lot more accessible (and less light-sensitive).

Moderator · Posted
4 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

HUGE TV's have gotten so ridiculously cheap that the need for a projection room has gone away and made it a lot more accessible (and less light-sensitive).

Totally wrong on what may cause the demise of AMC IMO. Huge TV’s have been cheap for years. The biggest thing they may change things, is the push to release movies via streaming platforms. 

7 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Exactly, personally I have blinds and then I have blackout curtains over those so I get no light issues.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I honestly really like the VIP theatres near me, I hope they don't go away. Are they overcharging for the food? Of course they are. But as a once-a-month or less kind of situation, I really like going to dinner with my wife, get a few drinks, watch a movie - and I don't have to lift a finger to make the food. I am the cook at home, you bet your ass I appreciate opportunities to take a night off.

To me I see it like Blockbuster - I'm really gonna miss just the experience of going to the theatre itself if it does go away. Remember the smell of Blockbuster? I do.

2 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Totally wrong on what may cause the demise of AMC IMO. Huge TV’s have been cheap for years. The biggest thing they may change things, is the push to release movies via streaming platforms. 

Yep I’ve said that multiple times in this thread.  Movie theaters are going to go the way of the drive-in theatre soon enough.  Which is sad as I loved drive-ins too.  

2 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Being able to buy an 86" TV for less than $1000 is a pretty new thing... I'm talking HUGE TV's not "big" TV's 😉

But yes, the more important side is the shift to streaming with major studios releasing online concurrent with theater releases.

Almost overnight kills the idea of people paying current prices to have kids go to the theater.

Edited by arch_8ngel

37 minutes ago, Braveheart69 said:

It's like attending a football game.  It's a much better experience gathering around the TV with your buddies and drinking beer, but stadiums still sell out and charge $10 a beer anyway.  

I do believe there will be a bit of a yo-yo effect with people wanting to get out more after COVID.  AMC and the producers also are in cahoots and can work out licensing / distribution arrangements.  The willingness for big investors to put up capital also shows they do not want the theaters to die, and frankly I don't think they will.

Also, I can't remember if you have kids or not, but kids love the theater experience.  I'm actually not a movie guy at all really, but even I am willing to commit some of my personal funds in the turnaround story.  To each their own, but I don't see AMC as a death spiral.

52 minutes ago, jonebone said:

It's like attending a football game.  It's a much better experience gathering around the TV with your buddies and drinking beer, but stadiums still sell out and charge $10 a beer anyway.  

I do believe there will be a bit of a yo-yo effect with people wanting to get out more after COVID.  AMC and the producers also are in cahoots and can work out licensing / distribution arrangements.  The willingness for big investors to put up capital also shows they do not want the theaters to die, and frankly I don't think they will.

Also, I can't remember if you have kids or not, but kids love the theater experience.  I'm actually not a movie guy at all really, but even I am willing to commit some of my personal funds in the turnaround story.  To each their own, but I don't see AMC as a death spiral.

This - kids will keep movie theatres afloat. Whether they are little kids with their parents or teenagers spending their parents money. Releases straight to streaming is a short term strategy with COVID, big screens have been around forever, and the price gouging on snacks has been too.

I have a 18 month old and would kill to be able to take him to a kids movie right now; one for me to get out of the house and two because it'll give him something to do.

Everything that has been shut down and struggling since the beginning of COVID is going to start getting hammered once vaccinations get out and restrictions get lifted.