IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

Editorials Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, Estil said:

Actions and deeds are far more important than just words.

I wish I could get some more pussy...but my apartment sadly only lets me have one pussy cat 😞

I agree.  I hope the presidential debates have both candidates calling each other buttfucking oompa loompas, because why not?  Nothing matters anymore.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Horses suck, country music sucks, Popeyes Chicken rules/KFC drools, UCLA has more championships.

Come at me.

I said Bluegrass music.  Not country music.  Nashville and the Grand Old Opry are the birthplace of country music.  And I thought Popeye ate spinach?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Saying things doesn't matter any more.  Doesn't he know that?

Grab em by the pussy.

Obviously it does considering how terribly he did. You don't spend all that money and just win an territory that can't even vote in the election, it's just not normal. Besides, it's not like Trump was ever truly immune to that shit. It's just "Old man bragging about how he still gets action at 70" is just weak.

http://archive.is/8aKBT

@Link: Regarding the Huawei situation, I personally feel the measures taken by the USA are necessary. Whether the Chinese government is involved with Huawei or not, we might never know, but there definitely is a potential security risk. Taiwan has also followed suit, banning some Huawei items due to similar concerns. Better safe than sorry?

Some of the things suggested in the article you linked suggest that a group of people are just trying to downplay the potential threat, with the idea of separating business and politics. Huawei even seems to suggest this, in the article linked above; however, in addition to some Huawei products being banned in segments of Taiwan due to security reasons, some of their smartphones are banned due to a software update that refers to Taiwan as a "province of China". While those running Huawei might view Taiwan as such, that sort of thing isn't going to fly at all when marketing phones *in* Taiwan, and it's a known case of politics entering business. If it was strictly business, you pander towards the audience to which you are selling. If that can't even leave politics out of it for something like that, well yeah, I wouldn't trust them at all. 

8 hours ago, Estil said:

The Mason-Dixon line is not where most people think it is nor does it mean what most people think it means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason–Dixon_line

I know exactly what I said, I would never want to live in most of the “south” (Texas/ Virginia/Maryland I could probably do)  Just trying to be more clever about it. 

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

@Link: Regarding the Huawei situation, I personally feel the measures taken by the USA are necessary. Whether the Chinese government is involved with Huawei or not, we might never know, but there definitely is a potential security risk. Taiwan has also followed suit, banning some Huawei items due to similar concerns. Better safe than sorry?

Some of the things suggested in the article you linked suggest that a group of people are just trying to downplay the potential threat, with the idea of separating business and politics. Huawei even seems to suggest this, in the article linked above; however, in addition to some Huawei products being banned in segments of Taiwan due to security reasons, some of their smartphones are banned due to a software update that refers to Taiwan as a "province of China". While those running Huawei might view Taiwan as such, that sort of thing isn't going to fly at all when marketing phones *in* Taiwan, and it's a known case of politics entering business. If it was strictly business, you pander towards the audience to which you are selling. If that can't even leave politics out of it for something like that, well yeah, I wouldn't trust them at all. 

It just seems like common sense to not want a major Chinese company to be responsible for the majority of your telecom structure... and you can't really separate the business from the politics (or military risks) when it comes to the largest Chinese companies in sensitive industries.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I know exactly what I said, I would never want to live in most of the “south” (Texas/ Virginia/Maryland I could probably do)  Just trying to be more clever about it. 

If you really think you'd be willing to live in Texas (anywhere other than Austin), you'd probably be willing to live in most of FL, GA, SC, or NC, as well 😛 (at least anywhere near the metro areas).

7 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

It just seems like common sense to not want a major Chinese company to be responsible for the majority of your telecom structure... and you can't really separate the business from the politics (or military risks) when it comes to the largest Chinese companies in sensitive industries.

I totally agree with your thoughts here; with my previous post though, I was trying to be slightly less biased, as I can recognise that being from the States and living in Taiwan for a substantial number of years  has left me doubly biased, haha

28 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I totally agree with your thoughts here; with my previous post though, I was trying to be slightly less biased, as I can recognise that being from the States and living in Taiwan for a substantial number of years  has left me doubly biased, haha

I view it less as some kind of bias and more as just basic pragmatism.  But I guess that is my bias talking 😛😉

Nah, it's a perfectly valid concern, especially since the CCP could have access to this stuff no problem.

Edited by PineappleLawnchair

2 minutes ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

Nah, it's a perfectly valid concern, especially since the CCP could have access to this stuff no problem.

I know.  I was kidding.

Essentially every major Chinese company (and probably most mid-tier companies) has deep ties to their government and more-or-less exist at their pleasure.

I would never trust any of their financial disclosures for this reason, as an investor.

And I would certainly never trust them as the backbone of worldwide data transmissions.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
13 hours ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

Obviously it does considering how terribly he did. You don't spend all that money and just win an territory that can't even vote in the election, it's just not normal. Besides, it's not like Trump was ever truly immune to that shit. It's just "Old man bragging about how he still gets action at 70" is just weak.

http://archive.is/8aKBT

"Where's my favorite dictator?"

Nothing said matters anymore.  The sooner the left and it's constituency realize and accept this, the sooner they can take advantage of it.

Problem is with any Chinese company of decent size and as they get even bigger end up getting the attention of the communist politboro there and the party in time insists having a person on their board directly or for oversight to make sure everything is kosher with their government and any requests made by them are upheld and enacted.  With that kind of political/government control in China it's no wonder it makes countries like here nervous.  If Huawei had the choice of be shut down, overtaken by the government, having people arrested or worse *OR* put spyware or some kind of total control back door program into a network you damn well do it or else.  Check out china uncensored on youtube, the dude does lay the sarcasm on a bit humorously thick but has for years I found recently done weekly reporting jobs on all sorts of corrupt stuff out of there the government censors but brave reporters to locals smuggle out to the internet for people to see.  The recent stuff on how they're really handling corona virus for instance is disturbing to say the least.

16 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

"Where's my favorite dictator?"

Nothing said matters anymore.  The sooner the left and it's constituency realize and accept this, the sooner they can take advantage of it.

But but but... Bernie said he didn't understand why Castro was so bad!  So it is totally OK that our current president sucks off 3 or 4 major despots in the present day.

EDIT:  just to be clear, I think Bernie's comments about Cuba were REALLY out of touch, at a minimum.  But the people getting up in arms about it have been giving Trump a free pass on his pandering to numerous current dictators.  Cognitive dissonance in full-swing.

Edited by arch_8ngel

On 3/6/2020 at 6:07 AM, arch_8ngel said:

But but but... Bernie said he didn't understand why Castro was so bad!  So it is totally OK that our current president sucks off 3 or 4 major despots in the present day.

EDIT:  just to be clear, I think Bernie's comments about Cuba were REALLY out of touch, at a minimum.  But the people getting up in arms about it have been giving Trump a free pass on his pandering to numerous current dictators.  Cognitive dissonance in full-swing.

Speaking of that, heres a supercut on Fox news covering Obama/Ebola virus and Trump/Corona virus. 

Anyone who thinks Fox has a shred of credibility, please speak up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe we’ll figure this out now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhartung/2020/03/05/to-save-lives-shift-pentagon-spending-to-public-health/

The security of United States and the world depends on far more than throwing money at the Pentagon to deal with potential military challenges.  The spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) underscores this fact.  

The Sustainable Defense Task Force, a group of former Congressional and Pentagon budget officials, ex-military officers, and non-governmental experts brought together by my organization, the Center for International Policy, makes the case for a more expansive view of security:

“[T]he most urgent threats to U.S. security are non-military, and the proper national security tools ought to be non-military as well. [The threats] include climate change, which undermines frontiers, leads to unpredictable extreme weather, and fosters uncontrollable migration . . . global disease epidemics, which pose societal risks to all nations; and income and wealth gaps, which foster insecurity and conflict.”

Unfortunately, federal budget priorities are far out of line with this new security landscape. The Pentagon budget and related spending on nuclear weapons, pegged at a near record level of $740 billion, consumes well over one-half of the nation’s discretionary budget, which includes most government functions other than entitlement programs like Medicare and Social Security.  This leaves inadequate funding for the non-military tools we urgently need to deal with non-traditional threats to public safety and global security.

Edited by Link
paste as plain text instead

On 3/11/2020 at 7:31 AM, Kguillemette said:

Looks like biden is gonna run away with it. I can get behind him if it means getting Trump out of here!

They’re both terrible. Politics aside, Biden seems to have some form of dementia. Often, he struggles to speak or says incoherent things. He was never a great orator, but you can see a drastic decline from his time as VP.

I’m a more conservative person, but I’d much rather see someone like Michelle Obama as president than Biden. I don’t agree with most of what she stands for, but I don’t question her intellectual capacity to lead this country, unlike Trump or Biden.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Link said:

Maybe we’ll figure this out now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhartung/2020/03/05/to-save-lives-shift-pentagon-spending-to-public-health/

The security of United States and the world depends on far more than throwing money at the Pentagon to deal with potential military challenges.  The spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) underscores this fact.  

The Sustainable Defense Task Force, a group of former Congressional and Pentagon budget officials, ex-military officers, and non-governmental experts brought together by my organization, the Center for International Policy, makes the case for a more expansive view of security:

“[T]he most urgent threats to U.S. security are non-military, and the proper national security tools ought to be non-military as well. [The threats] include climate change, which undermines frontiers, leads to unpredictable extreme weather, and fosters uncontrollable migration . . . global disease epidemics, which pose societal risks to all nations; and income and wealth gaps, which foster insecurity and conflict.”

Unfortunately, federal budget priorities are far out of line with this new security landscape. The Pentagon budget and related spending on nuclear weapons, pegged at a near record level of $740 billion, consumes well over one-half of the nation’s discretionary budget, which includes most government functions other than entitlement programs like Medicare and Social Security.  This leaves inadequate funding for the non-military tools we urgently need to deal with non-traditional threats to public safety and global security.

Yup.

It's like I keep saying, afraid of a bogeyman while there's an axe murderer in your house. The military spending is completely worthless in the face of the actual catastrophes that are coming.

We're all gonna be really well armed corpses.

• Like 1