IGNORED

Must Play Sega CD games

fox

Long post incoming! I'm mostly going to stick to games that I've beaten, which are in bold:

On 2/4/2020 at 11:22 PM, Wandering Tellurian said:

A couple of others you might want to look at are Dune and Iron Helix.   Their reception was mixed with people either really  liking them or finding them mediocre at best.   Both suffer from not offering much replay value - something that doesn't bother me if the first go around is fun.  

Iron Helix! There's a game that almost nobody talks about. It's quite playable, though, and even fun -- if you're willing to commit to the mapmaking and note-taking required for a game of this kind. My wife and I completed all three difficulty levels and enjoyed it.

Seconded on Wirehead and Night Trap, which were mentioned in earlier posts and which we also enjoyed. Dracula Unleashed is another one we completed, though it took us ages as we got stuck in a couple of places (typical for a point-and-click adventure). Panic was a trip, not for all tastes but definitely amusing. Fahrenheit was more playable than we expected, and even fun at times; note that you have to beat the game on Hard to get an ending.

Mansion of Hidden Souls was atmospheric, but short and easy. I can't remember if I enjoyed Masked Rider: Kamen Rider ZO or just found it unremarkable. Tomcat Alley was decent and vaguely fun. (Midnight Raiders seemed similar but I had more trouble with that one and didn't get too far; I keep meaning to play Surgical Strike, which was also on the 32X but only in an insanely-rare Brazilian release.)

BTW one of the big mistakes a lot of FMV games made was to have a poorly-implemented difficulty system, especially if the game expects you to beat Hard to get a good ending. Star Wars: Rebel Assault and Crime Patrol are fun on lower difficulties, but become just about unplayable on Hard, as the pixellated graphics are too poor to respond with enough speed or accuracy: you literally can't see your enemies until it's too late.

Fortunately, they don't require Hard to get the ending, but some other titles do -- and when a game has wildly unrealistic expectations, being lectured about what a failure you are by some no-name, horse-faced '90s actor loses its amusement value pretty quickly.

Non-FMV games:  Sol-Feace is brutally difficult -- much more so than the Genesis version since it throws you back to Level 5 when you continue in Levels 5-7 -- but beating that one on Mania difficulty was very satisfying. Wonder Dog is mediocre, sadly, and Heart of the Alien was very disappointing for anyone who loved the first game (which is included).

The Sega CD also has a fairly large Japanese library with a bunch of interesting-looking games. Too bad none of them have been translated into English. The only two I've beaten are Earnest Evans, which is basically the cartridge version with cutscenes and Redbook audio, and the beat-'em-up Anet Futatabi, which is utter trash but has nice cutscenes.

I'd really like to spend some more time with the scaling games like AH-3 Thunderstrike, RDF Global Conflict, and Soul Star; I also know a few people who think highly of B.C. Racers (but only in its Sega CD version). And someday I'll dig into Third World War...

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 8:40 AM, tbone3969 said:

The Terminator on Sega Cd is a good game.

Anyone ever play Demolition Man for Sega CD?  The price of that game has really spiked recently.  Looks decent too but I never played it.

Wow was blown away by Terminator on the Sega cd.  I’d played a bunch of other (mostly bad) Terminator games so this was a treat.

cutscenes using clips from the movie, that iconic theme in cd quality, rocking tommy tallerico soundtrack, gameplay like earthworm Jim.  It’s the total package

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fox said:

Wow was blown away by Terminator on the Sega cd.  I’d played a bunch of other (mostly bad) Terminator games so this was a treat.

cutscenes using clips from the movie, that iconic theme in cd quality, rocking tommy tallerico soundtrack, gameplay like earthworm Jim.  It’s the total package

Happy you liked it.  Let me know if you ever play Demolition Man on Sega CD.  It seems to be a similar game, run and gun with FMV clips from the movie.  I also want to add Flashback CD, Heart of the Alien, and Star Wars chess.  Star Wars chess is fun if your a chess fan and/or a Star Wars fan.  The animation is hysterical on some of the captures.

Oh and Secret of Monkey Island, Android Assault, Rise of the Dragon, Marko's Magic Football, the Japan version of Sonic CD (different music & a different level), Shadow of the Beast II, Prime, and Flink......  really digging deep now.

Also I read someone here dog Heart of the Alien.  I enjoyed it.  I really liked Out of this World and I love the fact that Heart of the Alien picks up right at the ending of the first game.  It is a Sega CD exclusive as well.  Good stuff for sure IMO.

Edited by tbone3969

popful mail, best game ever made.  Well I might be exaggerating but it definitely has a special place in my heart.  Memorable music, funny VA.  rare 2D Platformer RPG with multiple party members.  Not many games like that.  One of those early CD-rom RPGs with lots of voice acting and CD quality sound.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 3:43 AM, Austin said:

Eternal Champions CD is excellent. Tons of characters, good combat system, lots of hidden stuff and secrets. Vastly improved over the Genesis original.

This 100 percent. ECCD has a lot going for it.

1. To this day, is one of the most violent games ever created. The spritework is fantastic.

2. The CG was done by the same company that went on to do Beast Wars and many other professional CG offerings.

3. Jam packed full of content, like having nearly as many unlockable characters as the base roster, really setting it apart from the Genny version, and showing a what a truly enhanced Sega CD game should be.

It's a shame that Sega of Japan was so ignorant back in the 90s, making dumb decision after dumb decision. Eternal Champions could have been another Mortal Kombat in the west, but they killed the series to promote Virtua Fighter 2.

Glad that worked out for them. I mean undead rotting vampire vs resurrected gunslinger, fighting aboard a pirate ship under cannonball fire is no match for skinny block man named Jack vs skinny block woman named Sara, fighting on non-descript skinny block, when it comes to capturing a kid's attention.

Edited by Startyde

18 hours ago, epiclotus said:

Does anyone have experience with Jurassic Park on Sega CD?   A friend had it growing up, and I recall it being a point and click adventure. That's one of my favorite genres, and I'm wondering of it's a decent entry in the category. 

I played it a long time ago - didn't really make an imrpession either way (but that is not my favorite game style) - I vaguely remember that the load times were sometimes long.  Also if playing on original equipment it was one of the few games where you needed the extended memory cartridge (again IIIRC).

Edited by Wandering Tellurian
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Reading through this thread, I get the impression that there are not that many 

For a small total library it has a pretty high number of great and really really good (but not great) games - depending on your taste in genres of course.  In just strategy/srpg  games there were 3 that pretty much blew anything that the SNES* had (despite its large library) out of the water.  When the games on that system were great they were really great. 

*The SNES did have a bunch of KOEI games - which are good games if you don't mind wading through menus - and with the exception of Gemfire** they don't quite satisfy the itch for an SRPG.

**Which at best is only a kinda sorta SRPG  if you stretch the definition to its limits. 

Maybe it isn't worth saying on this forum, but there are some cool RPG and Strategy games on Mega CD if you can read Japanese. I'm only able to stumble through them, but the stuff seems cool. Shin Megami Tensei and SimEarth both seem fine, from my so-far limited play of them. I also really want to try ShadowRun soon, as it is distinct from both the MD and SNES versions.

Also surprised that no one has mentioned Keio Flying Squadron or Silpheed, two pretty good shoot'em ups. Also, I understand there is one (and only one) port of The Ninja Warriors, and it is to Mega CD, exclusively. Besides the remake that came out just recently, no other home versions exist. I admit I have not played it yet however, just stating it is there out of my own personal interest. I'm sort of on a CD kick as well, so I may be exploring it further soon, and report back if I find this or other cool games.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, koifish said:

Also surprised that no one has mentioned Keio Flying Squadron or Silpheed, two pretty good shoot'em ups. Also, I understand there is one (and only one) port of The Ninja Warriors, and it is to Mega CD, exclusively. Besides the remake that came out just recently, no other home versions exist. I admit I have not played it yet however, just stating it is there out of my own personal interest. I'm sort of on a CD kick as well, so I may be exploring it further soon, and report back if I find this or other cool games.

Both those games have already been mentioned.

Keio Flying Squadron is also on my to play-list. Looks really cool.

• Like 1