IGNORED

Yesterday I did the unthinkable...

RH

Tuesday night my cell phone screen died.  I took into a repair shop and he said, that realistically, it'd be at least a week before he could get a replacement to fix it since it was an old Google Pixel 3a and orders were taking longer to arrive.

Now, off and on for probably the past 5-6 years I've seriously been debating on doing something radical and dumping my smart phone for a feature phone. As I sat in the parking lot of the repair shop, I told myself this was the time.  I drove over to the AT&T shop, and spoke to a rep and told him I wanted to downgrade to a "feature phone".  He actually had to ask me what that was.  I told him it's a non-smart phone, a "dumb" phone... you know, one that doesn't need a data plan?  "Oh, you mean a flip phone?!"  Yup!

He obliged because it was his job but when we were finishing up, he had to ask--why?  Well, you know, these things are a constant part of our lives.  Maybe it's my constant love for the past (partial reason why I love retro game collecting and playing?) but there's something about the streamlined, simpler times of life before we all had smart phones and we seemed to have longer attention spans.  I was somewhat of an early adopter and I had a Blackberry before the iPhone was even a thing. After years of using a smart phone, I just wanted to see if I could go back to a former time when a phone was a phone and the best resolution your camera has was 640x480.

Anyway, anyone else ever given up a smart phone?  Was it for just a period of time?  Have you let it go and were glad to never look back?  Have you considered giving it up but always talked yourself out of it, or is there no way on God's green earth you'd ever let yourself become such a luddite? 

I admit it's tough but so far I am glad I did it.  Maybe now I'll actually sit down and start reading some books that are made of paper.

• Like 4
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

I've considered it, among other things I'd like to drop (Google...), but as a Technical Director I dunno how long I could last. Maybe I'm being silly and truly I don't NEED the damn thing. I also at times long for the simplicity of using a phone as JUST a phone, a way to text people. 

The primary issue for me is that there ARE times when I need to travel and while doing so, I need access to Discord, Slack, email, etc.. I should actually monitor my usage for a few months to see just how much of it is frivolous. Probably a lot more silly stuff than actual useful stuff.

Social Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, RH said:

Tuesday night my cell phone screen died.  I took into a repair shop and he said, that realistically, it'd be at least a week before he could get a replacement to fix it since it was an old Google Pixel 3a and orders were taking longer to arrive.

Now, off and on for probably the past 5-6 years I've seriously been debating on doing something radical and dumping my smart phone for a feature phone. As I sat in the parking lot of the repair shop, I told myself this was the time.  I drove over to the AT&T shop, and spoke to a rep and told him I wanted to downgrade to a "feature phone".  He actually had to ask me what that was.  I told him it's a non-smart phone, a "dumb" phone... you know, one that doesn't need a data plan?  "Oh, you mean a flip phone?!"  Yup!

He obliged because it was his job but when we were finishing up, he had to ask--why?  Well, you know, these things are a constant part of our lives.  Maybe it's my constant love for the past (partial reason why I love retro game collecting and playing?) but there's something about the streamlined, simpler times of life before we all had smart phones and we seemed to have longer attention spans.  I was somewhat of an early adopter and I had a Blackberry before the iPhone was even a thing. After years of using a smart phone, I just wanted to see if I could go back to a former time when a phone was a phone and the best resolution your camera has was 640x480.

Anyway, anyone else ever given up a smart phone?  Was it for just a period of time?  Have you let it go and were glad to never look back?  Have you considered giving it up but always talked yourself out of it, or is there no way on God's green earth you'd ever let yourself become such a luddite? 

I admit it's tough but so far I am glad I did it.  Maybe now I'll actually sit down and start reading some books that are made of paper.

I rarely use my phone as a phone.  It's mostly a small portable computer to me.  But I'm more way back than you.  I think back when you weren't constantly available.  Like when you left the house you were pretty much not reachable until you were home to check the voicemail.  I carry that kind of mentality with smart phones.  If my phone goes off I will rarely answer it or respond to text till I'm ready to do those things.  Also it pisses the living hell out of my Mom.  And if it's really important, better blow my phone up with calls, text messages, and voicemails so I know it's an emergency.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I've considered it, among other things I'd like to drop (Google...), but as a Technical Director I dunno how long I could last. Maybe I'm being silly and truly I don't NEED the damn thing. I also at times long for the simplicity of using a phone as JUST a phone, a way to text people. 

The primary issue for me is that there ARE times when I need to travel and while doing so, I need access to Discord, Slack, email, etc.. I should actually monitor my usage for a few months to see just how much of it is frivolous. Probably a lot more silly stuff than actual useful stuff.

Yeah, I get it.  I use to travel a lot though, before the days of smart phones but WiFi was available.  I found myself pulling out my laptop a LOT in airports or coffee shops just to look up information.  Lol, I even printed out directions!  At least now I can get me a GPS because even those that were $600 back then are improved 10x and less than $100 now.

Social Team · Posted

@RHYou want a smart phone that isn't a phone.  You could get one and just NEVER use it as a phone.  We got a 3rd phone because for some stupid reason it saved up 10 bucks a month on our bill.  I had no idea what the number is and no one ever calls its.  It's basically an iPod Touch if you remember those things.  Smart phone that isn't a phone.

1 minute ago, FireHazard51 said:

@RHYou want a smart phone that isn't a phone.  You could get one and just NEVER use it as a phone.  We got a 3rd phone because for some stupid reason it saved up 10 bucks a month on our bill.  I had no idea what the number is and no one ever calls its.  It's basically an iPod Touch if you remember those things.  Smart phone that isn't a phone.

I'm the other way.  I want a phone that's just a phone.  I can leave work/fun on the PC or TV.  Anyway, they still make iPods, believe it or not.

They are listed on their home page, but you can still search by Google and find them for sale on the Apple Store page.

https://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/?afid=p238|s8H6CVTYn-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_569734191533_pgrid_70905140397_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-ipod--slid---product-

I feel you, dude, but I cannot. I love to browse the web while on break at work or listen to music at my desk, directions to new places are a breeze, and checking email is simplified while on the go. Carrying a laptop is cumbersome and printing directions is wasteful. I'm assuming your dumb phone has a camera and text ability? 

6 minutes ago, The Count said:

I'm assuming your dumb phone has a camera and text ability? 

Yes, but it has to be a 640x480 resolution and they didn't have a phone with a Qwerty, so it's back to the ole 9-key approach.  But seriously, I just text my wife.  I did text my Mom too, but we can use Google chat just as easy.  I'm only losing the camera.  In fact, 95% of the reason why I had never pulled the trigger on getting a feature phone is because my "dream" phone was one with nothing but the ability to call, text AND take pretty good photos.  I know these are simple, paired down phones but back when I was doing a lot of searching, I found a lot of people that agreed.  That's the one feature they wish would be nice on a dumb phone.

Yes. I had a flip phone for about 6 months and was never happier not being distracted by dumb shit by having the entire intetnet my pocket. It was very freeing. I only went back to a smart phone because covid happened and I needed it for zoom meetings with my kids teachers, etc. I plan to go back again at some point when the world gets a little simpler. 

Edit: also, good for you! I found my life much more rich and fulfilling during that time. I hope it has the same effect on you!

Edited by Kguillemette
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Yes. I had a flip phone for about 6 months and was never happier not being distracted by dumb shit by having the entire intetnet my pocket. It was very freeing. I only went back to a smart phone because covid happened and I needed it for zoom meetings with my kids teachers, etc. I plan to go back again at some point when the world gets a little simpler. 

Edit: also, good for you! I found my life much more rich and fulfilling during that time. I hope it has the same effect on you!

Here I am on my third day and I swear I'm feeling and seeing the benefits.  On Wednesday and a bit yesterday, I did find myself constantly reaching for my back pocket, or to the side of my desk.  I'd pull out the phone, stare at it for a second, and then put it back.  But, then I really started to click yesterday afternoon--replace that moment with a thought.  What I mean by that was stop and think about the moment.  Don't rush past whatever I'm doing and engage it.  This actually helped me keep my cool around my kids, as well as think of little things to do for my wife, my kids or just prep for the next day.

I can't explain it well, but I was so wired that if I was bored for half a second, I just soothed the bordem with a glance at my phone.  Now, those moments have already helped me be present a bit more.  The ironic thing is, my wife and I both are/were intentional about not being tied to our phones.  We set them aside at dinner and the time afterwards.  Even then, it's always a quick grab to look up something or get the facts straight on who was in which movie at such-and-such timestamp.

It really does feel a bit liberating.  At least, it does to me.  I'm not raging to get my phone back.

13 hours ago, LaC said:

https://www.thelightphone.com/

This might be what you are looking for.

Considering getting one myself.

I've seen projects like this.  I like that it has a touch qwerty keyboard, but if I buy a premium feature phone, I just want it to call, text and take photos well. I don't even want email.  Regardless, that is pretty nice and after I've used my $65 phone for a few months to justify the purchase, I might get one.  $300 isn't too bad for a long term solution.  I've always been a fan of premium, but simple, tech. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Remember when people had self discipline? 

Pepperidge Farm remembers. 

Seriously though, this may be an Un-popular opinion, but if you need to physically remove something to not interact with it, the problem might be a little deeper. 

Yes, but there are times when you don't realize how deeply something affects your life until you remove it.  Plus, I'm not ashamed to say that it could be a personal problem.  There are plenty of people who can, for instance, drink alcohol and control themselves.  There are others that can't.  If they want a positive change in their life, they give it up cold-turkey, probably join AA and just say "good bye".

There are a lot of things, IMHO, that we can become addicted too, but they are also socially acceptable.  I don't like to be "controlled" by stuff.  When I see something that feels that way, I want to at least experiment with letting it go.  I let go of my smart phone.  I might get a new one, but I'm going to try and go at least a year without one.  I might, however, go a year and just say good riddance!  If the net-benefit of letting it go is evident, I'm happy to let it go.  If not, no harm with experimenting for a year.

• Agree 1

I used a Casio G'zone in the mid 2010s for a while, which was a snappy high end flip phone in a world of iPhones. I'm just not a person who uses a phone very often so the durability/portability was a huge plus to me. I loved it! Unfortunately, it had clock and screen bugs that made it unusable long term and Casio wasn't going to fix bugs on their old flip phone, so I had to switch back to smart phones. The #1 thing I use a phone for is probably GPS, so having easy access to internet browsers and Google Maps would prevent me from going back a flip phone again.

I still hate how big phones are these days. I have the small Pixel 6 and it's fuggin' 6.4"! Come on mannn. You can't get a portable phone anymore unless you get an absolute bargain basement POS, and even then they can be hard to find. iPhone 4... best phone ever made. 3.5". It was perfection.

qLepJeK.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

iPhone 4... best phone ever made. 3.5". It was perfection.

qLepJeK.png

I have one setting in my desk drawer.  Still works except Apple blocks old hardware after it misses so many updates.  So, I can't get apps for it.  Otherwise, it's 100% fine.

I do miss the GPS but I just don't use it much.  It is the only feature I might replace by buying a separate device for.  Photos are nice, but I still have good enough point-and-shoots I can use for birthday's and holidays.  Even then, my wife still has her phone so I don't need it with hers around.

The smartphone is my peripheral brain.  There are things I can do on it for work (like search insurance coverage, details on specific medications, images to show patients, etc.) that a feature phone would not be able to do.  I've been using smartphone since the days of Windows Phone (the first version, not the ones with tiles).  I've never had iPhone (and never will).  I've been using Android phones for over a decade and I much prefer them.  Unlike the students/residents/fellows, I don't use the phone for everything.  For me, it is quick resource.  I prefer a computer for something more thorough, though that may be due to my ability to type over 100 words/min. 

I need the data to run my business when I don't happen to be at my laptop.  I use my phone to accept substitute teaching jobs through my school systems app, I have a family chat with my mom and sisters that is our primary mode of communication.  I'm probably on Reddit or Discord too often, but I've used my phone to Google important numbers or find addresses, or used the GPS feature to get directions to shows.  It's a necessity for me.  

There are times that I wonder if I need a smartphone.

But then I'm out and about and wonder what is the etymology of the word marmoset, or what song is that on the Muzak system, or arguing with someone about the Spanish Armada, and then I'm glad I have one.

• Like 1